Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faster/Slower Reloading

Faster/Slower Reloading

Ok so, I've only played this game for a little while however from what I've seen so far. The line battles are real cool, however what tends to happen is that they occur at a distance where the casualty rate is low, so the reinforcement rate from spawning on a flag bearer just cancels out any kills and a few games. Especially on the more open maps, are just people shooting at each other from a distance with no real effect.

I was thinking a small increase in the reloading speed when enemies aren't close (to simulate less danger and thus more efficiency). Thus it would allow for a slightly increased casualty rate and hopefully one line will break then. So the shooting actually has an effect.

However keep the reloading speed as it is for when an enemy is close (within some set distance) to simulate how the stress/pressure of the situation effects someones ability to quickly reload.

CSA Captain

During this period you're looking at 3 shots a minute, 4, maybe even 5 under parade ground/test conditions. but whilst being shot at? 2-3 a minute easy.
    remember that our rifles are pretty accurate out to 500 yards, the enfield alone has a setting for 700 yards! they really were more accurate than people give them credit.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    Ok so, I've only played this game for a little while however from what I've seen so far. The line battles are real cool, however what tends to happen is that they occur at a distance where the casualty rate is low, so the reinforcement rate from spawning on a flag bearer just cancels out any kills and a few games. Especially on the more open maps, are just people shooting at each other from a distance with no real effect.
    Experienced players in this game can hit from distance. It takes practice in drill camp and marksmanship training from varying distances with different muskets to get it more dialed it. Maybe you're experiencing newer players in a server that aren't yet showing effectiveness from distance?

I think in battle, the soldiers load their rifles much faster than it does in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TrByL4OeHQ

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TooL View Post
    I think in battle, the soldiers load their rifles much faster than it does in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TrByL4OeHQ
    Not a chance. This is re-enactment or "test" conditions, under these types of conditions it's perfectly feasible to get 4-5 shots a minute.
    do this in the middle of a battlefield with shot and shell hitting your line and the guys in front of you laying volley fire and i guarantee you won't hit near that.
    this is the sort of thing observed by company commanders during the 19th century with all muzzle loading weapons.

additionally, you'll note those re-enactors are not loading a ball, that's poweder only, on a muzzle loader you ram the ball home good and proper because you do NOT want any air gaps between it and the powder because then it becomes a pipe bomb.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Experienced players in this game can hit from distance. It takes practice in drill camp and marksmanship training from varying distances with different muskets to get it more dialed it. Maybe you're experiencing newer players in a server that aren't yet showing effectiveness from distance?
    They can, however when firing in line. A lot miss because the line doesn't fire at the same time. So the ones firing after the first few shots get that kickback and lots miss. Which is why the battles are a little static imo

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    They can, however when firing in line. A lot miss because the line doesn't fire at the same time. So the ones firing after the first few shots get that kickback and lots miss. Which is why the battles are a little static imo
    I'm a Sharpshooter so avoid those lines whenever possible.

It never ceases to perplex me the rate of fire some real units put out. Then again, it's not like people had watches and timed it. Their opinions of time were quite skewed sometimes but usually thinking it was longer and not shorter periods of time. A lot of units spent their ammo faster than you would think possible. In some cases you get the idea that units blew through their ammo ASAP in order to get pulled off the line and the officers held a high rate of fire in high regard. There's some accusations of artillery batteries discarding rounds even to get to this point. It all depends really. Some regiments barely knew how to load and didn't perform any better under pressure. I don't doubt that soldiers in combat sometimes would fire as fast as in your video but I think the rate we have is okay for now. I'd also like to see fumbling, since it's so well documented but it's not essential. These same soldiers would also be tearing out their pockets trying to clean their rifles so they could keep ramming cartridges home. And those same soldiers were under such duress that they couldn't even remember that, complete lapse of memory due to shocks to the nervous system due to sheer terror.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    It never ceases to perplex me the rate of fire some real units put out. Then again, it's not like people had watches and timed it. Their opinions of time were quite skewed sometimes but usually thinking it was longer and not shorter periods of time. A lot of units spent their ammo faster than you would think possible. In some cases you get the idea that units blew through their ammo ASAP in order to get pulled off the line and the officers held a high rate of fire in high regard. There's some accusations of artillery batteries discarding rounds even to get to this point. It all depends really. Some regiments barely knew how to load and didn't perform any better under pressure. I don't doubt that soldiers in combat sometimes would fire as fast as in your video but I think the rate we have is okay for now. I'd also like to see fumbling, since it's so well documented but it's not essential. These same soldiers would also be tearing out their pockets trying to clean their rifles so they could keep ramming cartridges home. And those same soldiers were under such duress that they couldn't even remember that, complete lapse of memory due to shocks to the nervous system due to sheer terror.
    That'd be a really nice detail to see every few reloads when you are being suppressed and reload that your soldier will fumble with the more minute actions such as the percussion cap and trying to put the ram rod back in.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    That'd be a really nice detail to see every few reloads when you are being suppressed and reload that your soldier will fumble with the more minute actions such as the percussion cap and trying to put the ram rod back in.
    I've not seen a subtle dropped percussion cap, from experience those things are fiddly as hell and people drop them all the damn time