Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accredited Officer Designation

That's why I don't think the morale loss based on your line status is the best way to go. Because not everyone's playing to win and you're invariably pitting people who don't care against people who do in attempt to force gameplay.

Long time ago I had a game server called "PLM's Teamplay Server" and the idea was that certain players were allowed to take NCO slots on demand and you had to follow them, like a never-ending competitive event style gameplay. Everyone had to 'agree' to the rules with a little plugin when they came in the server that asked if they agree'd or disagreed and booted them if they hit 'disagree.' The problem was that the people who prior had been trustworthy stopped playing eventually. The attrition of people wanting to do things like that is higher than you would believe.

Nevertheless with the stock some people put in the officer class it would be very helpful if a server could designate people to bump people out of the officer slot (but not other designated people obviously). In a similar fashion where when you spawn in as the flag bearer that you can't do it afterward until the class becomes available again due to a flag being de-spawned or something. That's what would happen to the guy bumped out of the slot. He may remain in the officer role but along trots a qualified guy.

A "Message of the Day" introductory screen for servers might also help. To list server rules and such. I definitely wouldn't like the game or the company tool manipulating who can have what class.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-09-2018 at 03:47 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    Afterall, anyone can spawn as an Officer or NCO. Many people taking on the role are new and well-intentioned, but they don’t have a good understanding of the game and are not qualified to lead.
    The question that follows that statement, a Catch 22 if you will, is how will they then get the experience to lead? When someone steps up to command we don't know if they'll be a good or bad commander, but we also don't know whether the experience of today will make them better for tomorrow. So long as a commander can get the 'blob' to line up at the objective and shoot or charge the other side, then that is good enough start for them as a leader in my eyes.

CSA Captain

The REAL problem here is that these players simply do not know the ticket system. They're assuming that both sides have and equal number of tickets, and that they will win if they simply kill more than the enemy does....while veteran players know that in WoR it's not as simple as that. This is especially true on the Confederate side, where you will see them leading suicidal attacks, while they're meant to be on defense, in almost every game. We yell at them to stop, they ignore us, rinse and repeat. Very few are willing to listen, even fewer are willing to learn.

Let's also be honest here, the 'tactical blob' was the way to go even in alpha, once players see a tcking clock they're immediately pressed into a state of semi panic...''not enough time, must rush, must rush'' and that's more a fault of game design than it is of leadership.

Leadership experience in WoR comes from learning the ticket system and learning the maps......NOT from spawning an Officer and leading a team to losses over and over. You'll learn more spawned in as a Private than you EVER will as an officer, and that's a fact.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    The REAL problem here is that these players simply do not know the ticket system. They're assuming that both sides have and equal number of tickets, and that they will win if they simply kill more than the enemy does....while veteran players know that in WoR it's not as simple as that. This is especially true on the Confederate side, where you will see them leading suicidal attacks, while they're meant to be on defense, in almost every game. We yell at them to stop, they ignore us, rinse and repeat. Very few are willing to listen, even fewer are willing to learn.

Let's also be honest here, the 'tactical blob' was the way to go even in alpha, once players see a tcking clock they're immediately pressed into a state of semi panic...''not enough time, must rush, must rush'' and that's more a fault of game design than it is of leadership.

Leadership experience in WoR comes from learning the ticket system and learning the maps......NOT from spawning an Officer and leading a team to losses over and over. You'll learn more spawned in as a Private than you EVER will as an officer, and that's a fact.

Interesting - is there a resource somewhere showing the ticket per side info?

I hope this and all other game-shaping info comes out soon in a comprehensive tutorial.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    Interesting - is there a resource somewhere showing the ticket per side info?

I hope this and all other game-shaping info comes out soon in a comprehensive tutorial.
    Nope, all we really know for sure is that the attacking side always has more tickets than the defenders, therefore it's not wise for the defending team to go on the attack under normal circumstances. There are, of course, exceptions to this, such as when a cap point has been over run for example.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Major

Usually the problem I have are officers who try to swing their rank around as if I must listen to them or I've offended General Lee himself. Me and my guys aren't going to listen to their brilliant "plan" when they don't have a bone of leadership ability in their body.

You could do some sort of upvote/downvote rating system that could display as a number next to their name, but generally you are going to abandon a bad officer and stick around a good one.
    Second Lieutenant Douglas L. Landree
    Platoon Commander
    30th VA Vol. Inf. Regt. Co. A "Washington Guards"

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Landree View Post
    Usually the problem I have are officers who try to swing their rank around as if I must listen to them or I've offended General Lee himself. Me and my guys aren't going to listen to their brilliant "plan" when they don't have a bone of leadership ability in their body.

You could do some sort of upvote/downvote rating system that could display as a number next to their name, but generally you are going to abandon a bad officer and stick around a good one.
    I like the voting idea, blackwake has a similar system, would be good to let people apply for the officers role before a round and let everyone vote on who they want
    QM. Timo
    Click Picture To Enlist.

There were plenty of terrible officers with next to no leadership skills in the ACW as there have been in every war in history. However directly disobeying them would result in a swift court martial and execution.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    There were plenty of terrible officers with next to no leadership skills in the ACW as there have been in every war in history. However directly disobeying them would result in a swift court martial and execution.
    ...and unpopular officers would uncharacteristically find an early end the moment they got into battle.
    Second Lieutenant Douglas L. Landree
    Platoon Commander
    30th VA Vol. Inf. Regt. Co. A "Washington Guards"

USA Colonel

...and unpopular officers would uncharacteristically find an early end the moment they got into battle.
    True, it isn't that hard to just shoot an officer in the back of the head. A lot of chaos in battle, and if an officer is unpopular enough, nobody will care if it happens. It is next to impossible to get away with that today because we have technology and forensics. But in the 1860's, simply fragging a disliked officer is child's play.