Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accredited Officer Designation

Accredited Officer Designation

Public players are more than a little cynical about the quality of some of the people stepping up to lead.

Afterall, anyone can spawn as an Officer or NCO. Many people taking on the role are new and well-intentioned, but they don’t have a good understanding of the game and are not qualified to lead.

So is it possible for CG to consider giving experienced/reputable players a special designation in-game to show they are experienced when they spawn as an Officer or NCO? It could be as simple as a different coloured name or a special symbol. With this designation new players would be more likely to listen to them. CG could also pin a list at the top of the Steam forum of accredited officers.

I read elsewhere there used to be an Officer school thread but it died. It’d be great if that could get going again and graduates could become accredited.
    Last edited by Quaker; 12-08-2018 at 01:32 PM.

USA Lieutenant General

I find it hard to play at times when those that try to command do not know the proper civil war commands. I dont think just anyone should be able to spawn as an NCO or officer. Most the people who command dont even know how to play the game and have played way too much Napoleonic wars to know the correct commands.

It's a nice idea, but good luck finding a decent way to implement it.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle422 View Post
    I find it hard to play at times when those that try to command do not know the proper civil war commands. I dont think just anyone should be able to spawn as an NCO or officer. Most the people who command dont even know how to play the game and have played way too much Napoleonic wars to know the correct commands.
    Even if the commanders knew the drill manual by heart, there's no way they would be able to teach it quickly enough for multiplayer skirmishes to use it. How do you convince a random assortment of players to line up in column of four instead of moving as individuals together?

The tactical blob will reign supreme except for events. It simply takes too much time too use the proper commands for them to be effective.

Best,
    Dman979

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

Afterall, anyone can spawn as an Officer or NCO. Many people taking on the role are new and well-intentioned, but they don’t have a good understanding of the game and are not qualified to lead.

So is it possible for CG to consider giving experienced/reputable players a special designation in-game to show they are experienced when they spawn as an Officer or NCO? It could be as simple as a different coloured name or a special symbol. With this designation new players would be more likely to listen to them. CG could also pin a list at the top of the Steam forum of accredited officers.
    It's true that fairly new and "less" experienced players take on the officer role, however not fully grasping game mechanics and map strategies it usually results in a loss.
    Some manage to get a firing line up (in the open) and most of them have the best of intentions.

We all had a learning school and some lessons are tough to learn
    We asked CG before to have some form of implantation of the company tool (while CT also has some issues it pretty straightforward).
    Als some sort of voting system was suggestion or a system based on experience, but those are all coins with two sides.

For the new people I suggest checking out the drill camps, reading up on the civil war and commands/strategies (doesn't have to be fancy though) and slowly climb up the ranks
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    Even if the commanders knew the drill manual by heart, there's no way they would be able to teach it quickly enough for multiplayer skirmishes to use it. How do you convince a random assortment of players to line up in column of four instead of moving as individuals together?

The tactical blob will reign supreme except for events. It simply takes too much time too use the proper commands for them to be effective.
    Very good point, the difference between comprehending the theory and implementation in a game could prove difficult.
    Having drills certainly helps and someone who translates those tactics to an "ingame solution" is great, most people are trying to improve and if they get some explanation in the why and when … you'll get there eventually
    For now people usually tend to follow the blob or implement some line infantry (standing in the open and shoot), I'm sure this will advance when we're some weeks further into early acces.
    Last edited by Redleader; 12-11-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Captain

I like that there are officers that don't know what they're doing, it's just like the real civil war, many wealthy gentlemen were given commands they had utterly no right in holding, some did well, others not so much.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Also, it's important to note that Early Access hasn't even been out for a week yet. Give people some time to get past the learning curve, and you'll see them get better.

I mean, you can see that players are worlds better than they were on Monday!

Best,
    Dman979

USA General of the Army

The greatest stumbling block I see is ...
    Who is in charge of this magical "Accreditation"?

Standards and Acceptable Conduct are VASTLY different from unit to unit, state to state and nation to nation.
    It would be a system accused of favoritism and nepotism, as well as, seen to be a platform to exert pressure and deliver personal vengeance.
    Whether or not it actually acts that way ... the optics will always be skewed against those in power.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

I get why you want to do it, but I strongly disagree with implementing it. How are they going to learn if people don't follow them? It'll just not be fun for them. I know people are bothered by losing, but some people play the game, actually quite a few, just for the experience, not winning or losing.