Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Add a Linear Scale Line to the Map Descriptions

USA 1st Lieutenant

Well, that's a fair point about redundant work, but I don't think that testing the graphic on the drill camps will work, because they are very large (larger than even Hooker's Push) and people don't shoot at each other- they shoot at semi-known range targets.

If the scale is added to the skirmish maps, though, you'll have a more comprehensive testing base in the environment it's designed for, so you should get more relevant results.

I'm glad to get positive responses for this- I think together we can help do our part to make this an awesome game!

Best,
    Dman979

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    Basically, something like this:

|______|______|__________________|________________ ______________|
    ..........50.....100 yds...................250......................... .....................500

As a graphic stuck on each map, scaled up or down depending on the size of the map. On Hooker's Push, for example, it would be proportionately small since it's a large map, but on a smaller map such as the Cornfield, it would scale to a larger size, since it's zoomed in a lot more.

Where it's placed on the map isn't an issue for me; if the Devs decide to implement it, I'm sure they'll find a good spot on a map-by-map basis.

Best,
    Dman979

P.S. sorry for any formatting issues, it's a PITA on a phone.
    interesting idea but I would suggest to make it possible to switch between metric system and ...... the other one which doesn't make any sense. I think it is called imperial system

I hear it often while drilling with new guys and using the term "Yard" that they would like to know how long this is in meters.
    Especially older people find it hard to remember how long a yard is.

As a German it is hard to say but the French did some great work with the metric system

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Only downside I see ...
    when the skim maps are added together to form the campaign map all these skirm scales will disappear and a new one will have to be made for the new larger map.
    I would not like to be on the team who does all this work that, basically, disappears once the campaign map comes into being.
    Love the idea though ... perhaps test it out on the Drill Camps, first?
    I am not sure if I get you right but the skirmish mode will stay. the battle mode will be additional. You want a quick fight without many planning? hop on a skirmish server.

Bigger and more structure? Go with a battle server.

So it will not be removed or senseless.

This is what I understand from what I read from campfire so far.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    interesting idea but I would suggest to make it possible to switch between metric system and ...... the other one which doesn't make any sense. I think it is called imperial system

I hear it often while drilling with new guys and using the term "Yard" that they would like to know how long this is in meters.
    Especially older people find it hard to remember how long a yard is.

As a German it is hard to say but the French did some great work with the metric system
    Gunsight measurements are in yards though, you don't need to make any conversions. Besides, Imperial is best.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Why not both? I've seen both imperial and metrics used in the change log, so it's not as if CG is wedded to one system.

|______|______|__________________|________________ ______________|yards
    |°°°°°°|°°°°°°°|°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°|°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°|meters

Best,
    Dman979

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Gunsight measurements are in yards though, you don't need to make any conversions. Besides, Imperial is best.

You are not correct about the sights.

The lorenz had sights set for the Austrian military "Schritt" (step) and that is with the correct Austrian 54 cal bullet.
    100 Schritt = 82 yards

The fixed sign worked at 150, 200 and 300 Scritt, by aiming at the abdomen, chest and using the "full front sight" at the chest.
    (so changing the sight picture)

But when the gun was uprifled to 58 cal they where pretty much worthless.
    And if still in 54 cal, they where issued with bullets for the Miss rifle.

made a topic about it here:
    https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...to-the-lorenze

But generally I do agree that yards make the most sense i this game.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

I don't know that the maps on the loading screen are to scale and if they aren't adding a scale to them would be useless.

USA General of the Army

Good Points ...
    It might not be redundant with both map types still in play.
    I like the idea of including BOTH the measurement types ... Metric and the Right One.
    Making sure the maps are to scale is imperative to this idea's success.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    I don't know that the maps on the loading screen are to scale and if they aren't adding a scale to them would be useless.
    I would like to beg a differing opinion.

It appears to me, from pictures displayed in various "Field Reports" that CFG are using USGS 7.5 minute 1:24,000 quadrangle topo maps for their underlay. (these equate to an area of around 49 to 70 square miles.)

As per example: (Note this screen capture is not from a particular 7.5 minute, 1:24,000 quadrangle, but from an overall topographic map of the entire United States, found HERE.)

That being the case, if correct, means these maps can be scaled and labeled as mentioned in the O.P.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Seeing as CFG is making the overhead maps for South Mountain, this seemed like an appropriate time to bring this thread back to life. The summary so far- linear map scales which are sized depending on the map and have imperial and metric measurements would be a welcome addition to the game.

Best,
    Dman979

I like it. Especially helpful for the more open maps, I've heard people asking range on SM and heard massively inflated distances. 300 yards when it's no more than 100 seems to be the norm. At 300 it'd be pretty much impossible to make anyone out in this game, unless on a 80 inch screen.