Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [GUIDE] How To Change In-Game Name without Changing it on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Sandersson Jankins View Post
    Any tips on setting on auto .cfg file so I don't have to fiddle with the console every session?
    I edited my CFG file like was shown in another thread, but it didn't automatically do it at startup. I had to do it using console. I imagine you could bind a key in the CFG to auto do it? But I don't know if its just 'bind X name' etc.

USA Private

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    I'd just like to clarify that the 42nd PA doesn't require a historical name, just a name that is normal-sounding- Peter McAdams is fine, but Moonstone Nightwolf would need a change.

Best,
    Dman979
    Sorry for my weird grammar, if you read carefully, I didn't say that 42nd PA requires you to use historical name
    Notice the "...select a name from the historical roster (can't remember which)" and then "and a reasonable sounding name, like the 42nd PA".

Again, sorry!

USA 1st Lieutenant

Heh, it's really a non-issue, no need to apologise. :-)

Best,
    Dman979

Hope we’ll see this feature in the game soon?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    Hope we’ll see this feature in the game soon?
    It's already in game.

As simple as pressing ~ to get the console to display. Then simply typing name "blah blah blah, Your name" then pressing the ~ again to close the console.

Honestly how simple can it be?

ah okay, I’ll rephrase it.

Hopefully this becomes widely known as part of a future tutorial about the game.

(What I was initially getting at was it would be great to have a simple name change box like in Holdfast and other games - something intuitive).
    Last edited by Quaker; 12-13-2018 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    It's already in game.

As simple as pressing ~ to get the console to display. Then simply typing name "blah blah blah, Your name" then pressing the ~ again to close the console.

Honestly how simple can it be?
    I mean a simple text box in the menu where you set your name would be much simpler don't you think

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I mean a simple text box in the menu where you set your name would be much simpler don't you think
    Not really. You're going to have to click something or press some key or another to bring up your wanted text box … it'll take as much time doing it that way as it does with the recommended suggestion.

I do this every time I log in and it takes me less that 30 seconds.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise067 View Post
    Some companies enforce you to select a name from the historical roster (can't remember which) and a reasonable sounding name, like the 42nd Pennsylvania, 1st US Sharpshooters, etc.
    And some companies even requires you to apply via Company Tool, which already consist of a full name anyway.

IMO, I do agree with immersion historically correct names, but M&B NW community doesn't seem to have this problem (that I know of) anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    I do like the historical name thing, it adds a nice immersion factor that "Lennins_L3fT_T3sticle" doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    I'd just like to clarify that the 42nd PA doesn't require a historical name, just a name that is normal-sounding- Peter McAdams is fine, but Moonstone Nightwolf would need a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landree View Post
    My unit is the same. A regular Americanized or historical name.
    Please be advised that The Light Division will ask you to seriously consider adopting a name from a regimental roster.

I hope that in the very near future as all the green horns become acclimated to the game and the atmosphere of the servers, that every player will eventually convert over to historically sounding names.

For help with this, CLICK Here.
    This is a genealogy website, and has obtained reams of historical documentation and rosters of civil war units.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the guide!

As long as your name sounds normal and you have a somewhat decent background story as to why you're in the ACW it shouldn't be a problem. (Which I say to justify my own name ofc )