Thread: changes to the lorenze

USA Sergeant

changes to the lorenze

The current way the Lorenz is modeled in the game have some historical issues.

It currently have the sight fixed at 100 yards.

Most of the Lorenz rifle muskets that was imported had sights set for the Austrian military "Schritt" (step) and that is with the correct Austrian 54 cal bullet.
    100 Schritt = 82 yards
    And only in a few cased where they changed to enfield style sights in yards.

So any range setting should either be in Schritt. Or to be nice to the players the range should be in the correct yards.

They where also imported with two versions of the sights.(I will get back to the 2nd version in a later post)

If we start with the fixed sights.
    It should have two options.
    200 Schritten (163,9 yards) aim at the chest of the target and that is where you hit. (if the weapon is still in the original 54 cal and using the correct compression bullet)
    300 Scritten (245,8 yards) since the sights are fixed, the Austrian soldiers learned to use a different sight picture with that change aiming at the chest at 300 schitt result in a chest hit.

source:
    translation of the official austrian manual.
    https://civilwartalk.com/attachments...on-pdf.182080/

So what Iam suggesting is giving the lorenz with the fixed sights two range settings.
    • 164 yards. (like it is now, just with the bulletdrop correct for this setting)
    • 246 yards. Change how the sight picture look like.

Another issue.
    Much of the bad reputation the Lorenz have in american books was caused by a number of things.
    Some guns was up rifled to 58 cal and issued with standard 58 cal cartridges. But the sights was not changed to reflect this.

Other guns was used in their original 54 cal. But they where used with 54 cal cartridges made for the Mississippi rifle, not the correct Austrian compression bullet.

So in the perfect world from a historical point of view the gun would be in the game in both versions and in both cases the sights should be set in at a fixed range, but the bullet drop should not be correct for the sights.

But I admit that would likely annoy a lot of players... so I can understand why the devs might not want to do that... and want to let the Lorenz use the compression bullet it was designed for.

I know there are other issues that is more important atm, but I do think taking the first step of changing the range on the Lorenz to 164 yards should be rather easy to do.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-11-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

I have more problems hitting targets with the Lorenz than I do with any other rifled musket in the game.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n