Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tested buck and ball ammunition?

aye it is a handy bit of kit in those close cornfield maps

It's the most effective i have noticed from 5 to 10 meters, beyond that it's like throwing pebbles. I once managed to kill 3 guys at once when they charged at me because they were all right next to each other.

Having watched people volley on Sunken lane a lot from spectate, it seems mostly useless beyond very short range. I'll believe it when I see it being effective used in large numbers at any range at all. Keep in mind your opinion of what and where is a given game range is may not be reality. Even experienced players tend to wildly overestimate range. 100 yards would be significantly in excess of Burnside Bridge stonewall on the union side to the fence line frequently occupied by Confederates on the other. The bridge itself was and is less than 40 meters across. 100 yards from the stonewall would realistically be halfway up the slope on the opposite bank. Think buck and ball would do jack there? I think it needs adjustments.

I think the standard engagement range is very short in WoR, just as it actually was at Antietam due to the violent rolling terrain so Buck and Ball would always be more devastating if modeled correctly in WoR.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 02-01-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA 1st Lieutenant

Hmm, I'll have to check the length of Burnside Bridge. Pacing tests showed that you walk 70 yards in 60 seconds at the quicktime. With a stopwatch, it's easy to figure out ranges.

Best,
    Dman979

a lot of bullet drop sometimes

USA Captain

The spread is the problem, it's good out to 30yds or so. After that the spread kicks in you're better off with roundball. Go to the range grab a 42' and check it out.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by STOTS View Post
    The spread is the problem, it's good out to 30yds or so. After that the spread kicks in you're better off with roundball. Go to the range grab a 42' and check it out.
    Only if you're aiming for a single target by yourself. Volley fire it into a line. It works, I promise.

I'll see if we can test it in my companies' drill this Friday.

Best,
    Dman979

CSA Captain

Used it a lot recently, on the bloody lane it comes in handy to put in on charging yanks but only when they are like 5-6 meters away....or vice versa as a yank on this redoubt map where they are forced to attack through tunnels, devastating effect

USA Captain

Only if you're aiming for a single target by yourself. Volley fire it into a line. It works, I promise.

I'll see if we can test it in my companies' drill this Friday.

Best,
    Dman979
    True, but I think they have too much spread. Just my opinion and yes volley fire with buck and ball can be devastating. We did test it on single fire at the range and that's what my comment was based on.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ransurias View Post
    Can buck and ball ammunition score multiple kills per shot? I realize that it essentially turns your rifle into a shotgun, but is it really more effective at taking out groups of charging enemies than regular ammunition? There's no video anywhere of it being used, so I'm kind of wondering.
    the 1842 is poor at ranges past 100 yards in game, buck and ball can kill multiple people but is very inaccurate after 25-30 yards. you can very easily test this in a drill camp server yourself.