Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cohesion Improvements

Lightbulb Cohesion Improvements

The heart and soul of this game rely on people following orders given to them by leadership. There are officers that can draw lines, which is great for getting everyone in the right position. We have NCOs to relay orders and take over once an officer has been killed. Great! Now I'm on line, and someone says to fix bayonets. Then another voice chimes in no, no, no, hold. Who do I listen to? How do I know who is an NCO, an Officer, or just some random dude voicing their opinion? Right now I don't. Without physically looking around and trying to match floating nametags to voices, and then trying to remember what that NCO or Officer sounds like in the din of combat, I have no idea.

How about this - Add a small UI element that shows when the person talking is your Regimental CO or one of your NCOs? This way, people can definitively know when their chain of command is speaking.

Another huge issue right now in public play is that regiments get mixed up the second that someone dies and spawns in on the colors. I can't tell right now what the issue is, but it seems that you spawn in on whatever colors are closest to where you died. Doesn't matter if they are the colors of your regiment or another. What inevitability happens is you then have two maneuver elements that could be working in support of each other being one giant gaggle of people. Two officers, NCOs, etc, all trying to get their people to do something. They talk over each other, they draw lines, it's a mess.

Why not only allow flag spawns to happen on your Regimental colors? Keep units intact. Don't mix them. This is the other reason I believe the Officer/NCO icon should only be from the Regiment you are a part of. It further eliminates confusion as to where you belong.

As I started this with, the game relies on communication. Right now there are some very simple ways to fix unit cohesion so that regiments can be more effective.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Part of the flag spawn issue I think comes from the following:

In each skirmish all the players are given the choice of two different regiments to play, IF all the players do not select the same regiment but they alternate between regiments, and both flag bearers are on field, then on respawn, the game reads which regiment you belong to, (not from your name tag,) and spawns you at the proper flag. If you aligned with the opposite regiment, then that's where you go.

Company commanders should know before hand which two regiments are going to be available and should tell his men which regiment to spawn in as. That way everyone will be sorted by proper flag.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinzST View Post
    ...How about this - Add a small UI element that shows when the person talking is your Regimental CO or one of your NCOs? This way, people can definitively know when their chain of command is speaking...
    How about an option in the sound settings where one can turn up the VOIP volume of officers?

USA Sergeant

That would be nice.

Even better would be a volume for:
    Officers
    NCOs
    Privates
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

In an uncontrolled environment without admins like you're talking about, what makes the roles special? Nothing. So why start adding icons or adjusting volumes?

I don't like the idea of icons. It's a slippery slope and it's working on the wrong problem.

It's not hard to recognize someone's voice and know who you're following. And so what if we're following someone who isn't the officer or NCO? One class gets Binos, a sword, a pistol, and a questionably-useful line doohickey. The other get's a rifle, some stripes, and an occasional sword. That's literally the extent of what the classes are. No inherent value is attached to who holds them. Worry about that (if even) before worrying about making the game change.

I put literally no merit in the random person who holds a role, though I will occasionally follow them for video purposes. I could make a video compilation of the revealing moments when an Officer turns out to be a total noob who doesn't know basic game functions. That's not a situation we need to be basing the game around.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-15-2018 at 02:19 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

There's a better option, add all the regiments to the spawn list, so we can spawn as our own regiment, with our own officers, and with our own flag.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    There's a better option, add all the regiments to the spawn list, so we can spawn as our own regiment, with our own officers, and with our own flag.
    Give us the option to set a map as "historical" or "alternate history," with historical being as it is now, and "alternate" being all regiments to choose from.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA General of the Army

When you're with a unit you learn the voices of those that command you. Sometimes orders overlap on conflict with each other as they're relayed, that's something that was in true during the war as it is in the game. I think the current system is fine, but I've been having a lot of trouble hearing VOIP in game especially when wearing headphones. I usually have to send it through my monitors speakers and turn it way up.

I also like the idea of dividing up historical and alt. history battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    In an uncontrolled environment without admins like you're talking about, what makes the roles special? Nothing. So why start adding icons or adjusting volumes?

I don't like the idea of icons. It's a slippery slope and it's working on the wrong problem.

It's not hard to recognize someone's voice and know who you're following...

I put literally no merit in the random person who holds a role...
    If you're playing in a public environment, which the game will have to cater to in order to be successful in the long run, something has to be done. You can say that it isn't difficult to recognize someone's voice. Having played a bit of the game, in a public setting, with sides changing, different people taking leadership roles from one game to the next, I disagree. It doesn't mean either of us a "wrong," but I'm coming at it from someone who is interested in the game and isn't a part of the community.

I'm not sure what slippery slope you envision occurring from adding a way to tell who the leadership is when they're speaking. I also don't understand how that is, "the wrong problem." If I don't know who to follow because I cannot discern who is in leadership positions by auditory cues, that seems to me to be the exact problem.

Placing trust in the leadership is what the game requires you to do. You'll get an asshat sometimes, and that comes with the territory. It also isn't a far cry from how the war was actually fought, or how militaries operate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    When you're with a unit you learn the voices of those that command you. Sometimes orders overlap on conflict with each other as they're relayed, that's something that was in true during the war as it is in the game...
    As mentioned above, this primarily pertains to public play. The issue with this in public play is you'll end up with 50 different uniforms worn by 65 different people. Look at or play a few rounds of Holdfast and you'll see exactly what I mean.

I agree chaos is a part of warfare. Orders will get mixed up. However, playing in a public setting where you have the same leadership for X minutes isn't at all the same as when you've been drilling with your regiment for the past Y months. In real life situations, if a private suddenly decided to start shouting to fix bayonets, no one would listen to him. In game, however, I don't know if that person is in a leadership position or not. Not knowing who is the leadership adds a layer of chaos that isn't needed or realistic.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by HeinzST View Post
    The heart and soul of this game rely on people following orders given to them by leadership. There are officers that can draw lines, which is great for getting everyone in the right position. We have NCOs to relay orders and take over once an officer has been killed. Great! Now I'm on line, and someone says to fix bayonets. Then another voice chimes in no, no, no, hold. Who do I listen to? How do I know who is an NCO, an Officer, or just some random dude voicing their opinion? Right now I don't. Without physically looking around and trying to match floating nametags to voices, and then trying to remember what that NCO or Officer sounds like in the din of combat, I have no idea.
    All of what you mentioned is a great argument for joining an organized company. You know who you're following/listening to and should that person go down, command gets handed over temporarily to the next in command.

Part of the confusion that occurred in real life is that soldiers didn't know who was in command as so many of their officers were killed. Also over the din of battle, it was tough or impossible to hear orders and often men didn't follow commands for that reason. I'm not sure anything needs to change with the current system although I haven't thought it about it much.

Actually many of the 'problems' with this game would be remedied by people being part of organized units rather than fighting solo and trying to figure out who to listen to, who to ignore and who to mute.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 12-19-2018 at 07:08 PM.