Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2:1 Odds (or More) Maps

2:1 Odds (or More) Maps

Of the 10,000+ encounters of the Civil War, few would have been fought between even amounts of men.

Is it feasible to have a cycle of maps where defenders are vastly outnumbered but have very strong defensive positions?

Perhaps 75 vs 35 or something like that.

This could create a whole different type of game within the game and add variety.

(Sorry if this has been proposed before).

CSA Major

That would be a tough one I think. Even if each defender landed a killing shot, there would still be another forty men to over-run their position.

CSA Captain

That type of thing just wouldn't work. We know more about warfare now than they did then, and we're unafraid to take grievous losses because we respawn. Things like Burnsides Bridge now? The Confederates would be overrun within minutes, because no ones afraid to die.

Its a good idea if we had fortress maps, or some way to block off sections of the map, but currently it's just not feasible.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I feel this is a great idea/concept. I think maybe a ratio of 60/40 would be great. Defenders have cover advantage (bit like that one harpers ferry match). So they should be able to whittle numbers down at a higher rate.

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    I feel this is a great idea/concept. I think maybe a ratio of 60/40 would be great. Defenders have cover advantage (bit like that one harpers ferry match). So they should be able to whittle numbers down at a higher rate.
    Labelle, I am talking about new types of maps for these types of scenarios, not the current ones.

Yup, and give attackers two flags and stacks of tickets as they’ll take heavy losses.

“Survival Mode” means the defenders have to see out the clock, not take an objective. Attackers have to kill them all.

And give us some bad weather to create a super-tense dark-ish atmosphere as we fight for every square inch.

The possibilities and variations are endless.

This kind of game mode might be easier with say, cannons to defend your position.

USA Captain

You already have this game play.

It is called the ticket system. Attackers get more tickets.

I did events where the odds were stacked many times including 2-1 and 3-1 but the killing power of the individual is greater with semi-auto and fully auto weapons. It depends on the map.

I would point to the fact that a lot of people think it would be an easy win for the team with the advantage as evidence the gameplay doesn't yet sufficiently model the circumstances that this would and did happen and why a larger attacker might not just throw themselves into a giant meelee and expect to come out on top.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    You already have this game play.

It is called the ticket system. Attackers get more tickets.
    I was just going to say that too lol.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I was just going to say that too lol.
    *hi5*