Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General thoughts from a long time reenactor

General thoughts from a long time reenactor

I've been following development for years now but have not taken the plunge in the forums until I was able to get some game time in. I now sit with around 22 hours of game time and multiple command opportunities so I thought I could add some feedback and perspective to things (or hope to).

First of all, my background is a reenactor of 23 years. I have coordinated battles from small locals all the way up to national-level events as a field commander and staff officer. Not that it really matters, but I did want to at least put my resume out there some.

• Spawning: At the start of a match, allow for 1-2 minutes for everyone to get organized.
    • Spawning: Spawn the different units slightly apart (maybe 30 feet or so) in the deployment zone so we have less confusion.
    • Color Bearers: Is there some way to lock them to a particular Captain? I ask because it seems one unit ends up with 2 and the other gets the shaft sometimes.
    • Captains: Look at something like America's Army used to implement, an honor system that tracks the captains effectiveness through kills by his command, time on objective and player vote. Give those guys the precedence.

These are just a few things that popped into my head to make things a little better. Overall I am encouraged to see players trying to form lines and use tactics even if those commands are not accurate to the period. It's been very encouraging from an old-guard reenactor who has watched his hobby steadily decline to see a renewed interest. Captains must realize that they are at the helm of the experience for their commands and should be held accountable for it. I for one take great pride in everyone enjoying themselves and perhaps even being a little arrogant about their most recent performance.

Kind regards,
    Capt. Sharp

Good point, it has come up recently that a lot of people are organizing by regiment selection. This makes sense and it makes sense to spawn slightly apart, out of voice range of each other even though these aren't used all the time. You can't expect people to press T and be at the right place. And hopefully the colors actually cause you to spawn on your unit's flag some day rather than just a seemingly random one.

Make a planning phase possible and set in minutes by the server 0 - 10 or so. Then the round starts.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Major

Yup, fairly much in agreement with all of this.
    Welcome, by the way!

USA Sergeant

As someone suggest on the steam forum.
    When pressing T make it so the name tags are in two different colors.
    One for your regiment and s different one for the other regiment.

Would also make it easier to find your unit.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    As someone suggest on the steam forum.
    When pressing T make it so the name tags are in two different colors.
    One for your regiment and s different one for the other regiment.

Would also make it easier to find your unit.
    Sir, you are nearly on par with my next set of suggestions!

- Remove the Sgt. Maj. role. We are fighting at the company level and the Sgt. Maj. is a regimental or battalion level position. Having him only confuses the fact that the 1st Sgt is the command NCO of the formation.

- Add to the "T" screen the information of your regiment and it's Captain, even put the distance to them if need be. This could be equally beneficial to reference the color bearer somehow as they constantly end up in the wrong unit.

- No suggestions here, but just thought provoking. I've been in several situations where I spawn in as the Captain. A butter-bar (Lt) also spawns in and assumes command and argues that it is his company. Apparently people do not know the ranks and just assume that since they are an officer, they are in charge. Possible solutions or will the above fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Sharp View Post

- Remove the Sgt. Maj. role. We are fighting at the company level and the Sgt. Maj. is a regimental or battalion level position. Having him only confuses the fact that the 1st Sgt is the command NCO of the formation.

- Add to the "T" screen the information of your regiment and it's Captain, even put the distance to them if need be. This could be equally beneficial to reference the color bearer somehow as they constantly end up in the wrong unit.

- No suggestions here, but just thought provoking. I've been in several situations where I spawn in as the Captain. A butter-bar (Lt) also spawns in and assumes command and argues that it is his company. Apparently people do not know the ranks and just assume that since they are an officer, they are in charge. Possible solutions or will the above fix that?
    We do fight at a regimental level, hence why you choose a regiment, not a company. In regards to a someone who spawned in as a Lieutenant trying to command and you spawned in as a Captain, those ranks don’t really mean anything, anyone can command, their rank they chose is purely cosmetic.

As for the original post, I don’t think adding an honor system or anything for officers is a good idea, the only restriction on officers should be for preventing rambos (max of two, can’t go out of line). A preparation phase would be nice when the larger maps come out, and locking the flag bearer to one captain has some pros and cons so I’m kinda neautral on it.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-19-2018 at 06:25 PM.

CSA Captain

Yup some great suggestions.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

The ranks are pure cosmetic on public servers.
    If you join one of the hundreds of companies we have, there you have rank structures and people spawning in with their correct rank and such.
    They have an own organization, training and act like "real" soldiers and are the backbone of War of Rights

But you can't force anyone on a public server to play in his role. Everyone is able to choose which rank he likes. If an officer is spawning in as a 2nd Lieutentant, he is able to lead.

Even if the officer class is "blocked" by random guys, who are not willed to lead, you see plenty of sergeants running around and doing great job in leading.
    Last edited by Hinkel; 12-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    We do fight at a regimental level, hence why you choose a regiment, not a company. In regards to a someone who spawned in as a Lieutenant trying to command and you spawned in as a Captain, those ranks don’t really mean anything, anyone can command, their rank they chose is purely cosmetic.

As for the original post, I don’t think adding an honor system or anything for officers is a good idea, the only restriction on officers should be for preventing rambos (max of two, can’t go out of line). A preparation phase would be nice when the larger maps come out, and locking the flag bearer to one captain has some pros and cons so I’m kinda neautral on it.
    I may have not clarified as to what I meant by not fighting at the regimental level. In name, yes we do as you alluded to. However, regimental level would be more along the lines of 300+ per regiment.

During the war (in practice, not theory) the typical company size of a veteran unit was 30-50. So in theory we are at the company level whereas regimental would be 300+. Having 75 men on a side would be roughly 2 companies (as that is what we have to select from in most cases, 2 portrayals).

This is where I disagreed with regimental level. It's much like in reenacting, battalions are approximately 60-100 or more, brigades are more like 300...so there is a whole "step" down 1 level in the organizational tree. In the game, we do not utilize adjutants (really no battlefield role), wing commanders, etc as we would in regimental level combat.

Hope this clarifies my meaning.

USA Sergeant

the Sgt. Maj. is a regimental or battalion level position.
    Well so is the colors. ;-)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard