Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Server Admins - Ingame Admin Tool

I think the issue is with how I edit the file. I try to add the admin names in note pad and then save as .xml, but when i open the .xml file it is blank. Is there another way to edit the files?

I think the issue is with how I edit the file to adit the admin names. I edit the privlages file in note pad and then save as a .xml file. but when i open the file it is blank. Is there another way to edit the file?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Mr. Bob, Jr.

Please be a bit more conservative in your posting of multiple thoughts.

There is an edit button on the bottom of each post, clicking on that will allow you to merge multiple posts into one.

Thanks.

Yeah sorry. i didnt see that the first one posted and there isnt a delete button. Any advice on the question though?

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-Jim-Bob-Jr View Post
    I think the issue is with how I edit the file. I try to add the admin names in note pad and then save as .xml, but when i open the .xml file it is blank. Is there another way to edit the files?
    You must be saving the file incorrectly or your Notepad permissions aren't configured correctly on your OS or you are trying to save to a folder which you don't have access to. Try using a freeware program like TextPad perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    You must be saving the file incorrectly or your Notepad permissions aren't configured correctly on your OS or you are trying to save to a folder which you don't have access to. Try using a freeware program like TextPad perhaps.
    I've tried this and the uploaded file still shows blank when I view/edit.

This is super frustrating and I would seriousally be willing to pay someone to set it up for me at this point. That or limit/shut down the server since I can't administrate it.

USA Major

This is super frustrating and I would seriousally be willing to pay someone to set it up for me at this point.
    That should only be done as a last resort... Only when you are overrun and have one bullet left.

You shouldn't give random strangers your FTP information unless absolutely necessary.

I've tried this and the uploaded file still shows blank when I view/edit.
    Hmmm. Are you running any anti-virus or anti-malware software when you upload the files via FTP?

Some anti-virus / anti-malware programs will nullify all FTP uploads by your computer and, consequently, files which you upload will be blank. This prevents hackers from uploading sensitive data from your computer to an external server without your permission.

Disable and close all anti-virus and anti-malware programs
    such as Avast, McAfee, Norton, K9 Web Protection, Windows Defender, Spybot, etc. Turn them all off. Also, be sure to turn off "Real Time Safe Browsing" or "Real Time Protection" as well.

**EDIT: Turn-off / disable your firewall too.

Then try uploading your privileges.xml file via the FTP program again.

Double-check that the remote directory to which you are uploading is the /Assets/ sub-directory and not the root directory or another unauthorized directory. Make sure you are using the correct port number as well.

If the file is still blank after upload, a few questions:

1. Do you see any error messages in the FTP client?
    2. What does the FTP client say after you upload?
    3. Have you tried using a different FTP client?
    4. Are you uploading in ASCII mode or Binary mode?

Also, paste the contents of your privileges.xml in your reply.
    Last edited by O'Rourke; 05-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Thank you for taking the time to supply all of the advice O'Rourke.It helped us to get to the point were all that was left to fix were some minor coding errors. We have it working now and hopefully, the posts will help the others who come after me also.