Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Admins - Ingame Admin Tool

All admin stuff is abused and you'll start to see some any day now. Any sort of admin chat will be abused. I used to get drunk and set players on fire in my heydey. It was funny. The problem is not everyone is always in the mood for what you're in the mood for.

So yeah it can be abused or used stupidly. I think people will flock to better-ran servers though. Oftentimes you see a community become dominated by a single organization and it's more a sign of the monopoly they hold than anything.

I was on an event a couple weeks ago in another game and the admin's team was losing and the server suddenly changes the reinforcements for one team to 999. Stuff like that turns players away. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to make legitimate alterations to stuff (transparently to both teams). It's just up to servers to try and be adults.

Having some sort of log of all admin commands initiated would be a useful tool in helping owners police their admins. There's nothing like finding out someone is damaging your brand while you're at work hosting rap battles or "Hunt the Jew" style events. Bad admins can be hard to detect and a major stress. You never know when someone is going to crack and decide the game isn't important to them anymore so they can do things that will get them fired or banned. It's rare, but it happens.

When you have 149 people in a server you just can't expect them to hang on every word in a chat box though or scroll up to see missed ones. A 'MOTD' or 'Rules' command or menu which brings up a server announcement would help. So an admin can say "Type Rules" to see rules for the event type: Teamplay or whatever and each player can do that on his own, hopefully without spamming the chat too bad. Or any number of screens, perhaps custom ones. Perhaps even allowing an image. So a player types "Recruit" he sees info on recruting / "rules" info on the server rules, "event" info on an event. It would be cool. None of this is really an emergency though.

The best though would be some sort of admin all-talk God voice, which obviously isn't immersive either and can also be abused (of course). I found that worked very well for getting people's attention. I had people running events literally print out a script and read it verbatim so they weren't forgetting standard server event rules and it worked well. There's always some guy who doesn't speak English but that's another issue.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-21-2018 at 03:12 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

I agree with this ^^^. I feel like private servers ought to be able to mix it up a bit if they want. When I used to play TF2 we had serious matches then we had some like Kung Fu Disco nights where the guys could blow off steam and have some fun.

I was taking a look at the banlist.

It is immense, there's a lot of autobans - which is good, to keep records of that. It seems like among all the autobans admin bans will get lost and there's a clear difference in priorities to the two types of bans. Perhaps a separate banlist for autobans vs manual bans - both basically serving the same purpose in that you can edit them.

It would be cool if somehow when a player is autobanned for another time that, instead of adding a duplicate listing with a new bantime, it just shows within the same autoban that this is his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc ban. It would also prevent a little clutter.

I'm not sure what format the 'bantime' is in though?

And if we want to set a bantime of permanent, what would be the best way to do that other than a really long number? Right now I think I'd just copy and paste a bantime from another ban like 1545236332 and set the ban duration to 99999999 and hope that never expires, which it certainly would some day in seconds.

This is my favorite ban tool linked below for the source engine. It was a total bitch just to set up, requiring it's own web hosting and integration with the server but it was priceless to lessen hair-greying. It kept me from having to keep track of current copies of the banlist and removed the possibility of losing it or putting in an old version. It allows you click on a ban and relate to other bans from that steamID or IP and see related bans, import a list of bans, and even attach demos (would be better to link to a video) or for admins to add comments/updates, all of which would be a nightmare over longer periods of time. I see myself keeping a long list and doing a lot of Ctrl-F searches of it and possibly making some syntax errors one day and spending lots of time trying to find them.

The long list of (unbanned) permanent bans is from a one-life campaign before I shut down the server. If you died in a battle, you were out of the campaign. High-stakes 'actual death' simulation. A few pages down are the real ones. I would have deleted them en masse, and I started, but there's just too many and there's no function mass-delete bans, only to unban them

If you click on the bans it shows more info. I don't expect the team to do something like this but it's useful for demonstrating the power of information in managing something like that. It's a force-multiplier for sure. Sourcebans also had a login for admins and the public could see the list if given a link, as well as some rudimentary function for appealing through there.

http://plm.branspace.com/bans/web_up....php?p=banlist
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-21-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

This may be a stupid question - or the wrong thread to ask it in, but is there a thread or a list of all current server commands available?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.A.West View Post
    This may be a stupid question - or the wrong thread to ask it in, but is there a thread or a list of all current server commands available?
    Change time of day, change map, end current map, kick, ban, post announcement
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Change time of day, change map, end current map, kick, ban, post announcement
    Believe he meant with the code.

USA Captain

Could we get a variable to turn off class limitations? Thinking it would be great to be able to kill it on the drill camps. Often enough we keep the drill camp servers set on the drill camp. I know it was said before it would have to be broken for all maps (drill camp & Antietam)

Anyone know if it is possible to reserve slots for people? If it is what is the command to do it? Thank you!

Is it possible to rebind the server admin key? E is currently my push to talk
    Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 01-04-2019 at 04:44 AM. Reason: proper grammar

Hello
    I know how to swap the map to the 17 mini maps for Anteitam but how do you access the information for the 4-6 Harpers Ferry maps? What are the map numbers to be input via the "E" button/admin panel for Harpers Ferry maps?