Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Favorite Brigades of the Civil War.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    You should feel proud. I just started reading... Texans at Antietam: A Terrible Clash of Arms. So far so good and the 1st, 4th and 5th Texas really showed up that day even though they were largely outnumbered at that point. The 1st Texas in particular fought bravely out ahead of the rest of the brigade and took horrific casualties at 80+%.
    The 1st Texas at Antietam took the highest percentage of casualties (82.3%) out of any regiment, on either side, of the entire war. The only regiment that would come close would be the 1st Minnesota at the battle of Gettysburg (82%)
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

You should feel proud. I just started reading... Texans at Antietam: A Terrible Clash of Arms. So far so good and the 1st, 4th and 5th Texas really showed up that day even though they were largely outnumbered at that point. The 1st Texas in particular fought bravely out ahead of the rest of the brigade and took horrific casualties at 80+%.
    Very cool! I was just studying civil war and reconstruction. Reading detailed accounts of a single battle would be cool though.

USA General of the Army

Got the be General John McArthur's Highland Brigade. You want something dealt with proper, use Scots.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Got the be General John McArthur's Highland Brigade. You want something dealt with proper, use Scots.

Skip to 0:42

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Anything except for cooking, that is. Haggis is a deadly weapon, one of the precursors to hand grenades.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Captain

The Vermont Brigade.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    The 1st Texas at Antietam took the highest percentage of casualties (82.3%) out of any regiment, on either side, of the entire war. The only regiment that would come close would be the 1st Minnesota at the battle of Gettysburg (82%)
    some company of the 11th Mississippi took 100 % at Gettysburg

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Chamberlain View Post
    some company of the 11th Mississippi took 100 % at Gettysburg
    That's correct yet that's only a company, the company you are talking about is 11th Mississippi Company A, the famous University Greys. I'm talking about regiments. The 11th Mississippi only lost 53% of its men at Gettysburg, which includes the entirety of Company A.

For the 1st Texas at Antietam, Company F lost all of its men, Company A had 1 survivor, C had 2 and E had 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Greys
    Last edited by Saris; 01-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Ramirez Nicholas J. View Post
    Very cool! I was just studying civil war and reconstruction. Reading detailed accounts of a single battle would be cool though.
    They are newspaper, soldier and officer accounts. It was amusing to see the southern newspapers say stuff like, 'the loss to our army was 200 and we took 40,000 prisoners.'

USA Captain

They are newspaper, soldier and officer accounts. It was amusing to see the southern newspapers say stuff like, 'the loss to our army was 200 and we took 40,000 prisoners.'
    Ah, propaganda!
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA