Thread: Initial Spawn on Map Fully Loaded

Initial Spawn on Map Fully Loaded

I can’t see why when the players all spawn together for the first time on a map we have to load our guns.

The focus should be on moving to the vicinity of our Officer, forming up and discussing a plan. It’s one less job to do at a confusing time in the game and would simplify the forming-up process so you can focus on organising.

Thereafter, when respawning anywhere (flag or main) we should always have to reload.
    Last edited by Quaker; 12-21-2018 at 06:54 AM.

CSA Captain

Unit's would not march whilst loaded, the initial spawn is supposed to be the muster area, the unit gathers, loads, then goes into battle.
    it takes 20 seconds to load a rifle, it's not the end of days.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    it takes 20 seconds to load a rifle, it's not the end of days.
    Agreed.

You decide how you want to use that time. Gain an advantage by moving out sooner or reload before marching out... Up to you.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    At one time in the distant past, players used to spawn "fully loaded".

During this time, rifles would prematurely discharge or create clouds of smoke and flame.
    Much work went into spawning without a loaded weapon, and still, on occasion rifles still discharge but they are less deadly than previously.

It doesn't hurt to have to load on spawning.

I see a lot of good ideas shot down by people focusing a little too much on realism. This is just an obvious idea that just cuts out 20 seconds of lost time. If you play 180 maps then that's an hour of your life spent reloading for the sake of what? Unit's wouldn;t march while loaded? Is it reallya march? if you are going to the front line and about to engage the enemy in sub 60 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    I see a lot of good ideas shot down by people focusing a little too much on realism. This is just an obvious idea that just cuts out 20 seconds of lost time. If you play 180 maps then that's an hour of your life spent reloading for the sake of what? Unit's wouldn;t march while loaded? Is it reallya march? if you are going to the front line and about to engage the enemy in sub 60 seconds?
    Spawning unloaded does more than just simulate the above.

You are presented with a choice - do you wish to spend the time loading and fixing your bayonet or are you straight off?

And the most important one: it generally makes people stick around in spawn in order to load which means more time for more spawns and more importantly - more time to organize instead of running off one by one.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Spawning unloaded does more than just simulate the above.

You are presented with a choice - do you wish to spend the time loading and fixing your bayonet or are you straight off?

And the most important one: it generally makes people stick around in spawn in order to load which means more time for more spawns and more importantly - more time to organize instead of running off one by one.

- Trusty
    I can see merit in what you’re saying.

But I think the whole initial spawn phase of the game is a bit messy and my approach was to take the reload out of it just to free up people so they can form up and be more focused on listening to the officer.

The officer can often set the tone for a unit in that first minute or so as players muster and often you see players reloading all over the place and I don’t think some of them are in range to hear the Officer.

What about people that spawn in on a flag bearer in the heat of battle? if you spawn in Loaded everyone's rate of fire would be increased exponentially. you can spawn and fire immediately, die, and then spawn again on reload. A game featuring black powder muzzle loaders i would expect to have realistic reload times and practices. If anything, the ultra-realistic aspect is what draws people to this game. Efforts to make it more "casual" will not attract new players and would just upset the core fan base from what I gather.

https://www.twitch.tv/captainteddybear - My twitch channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8...CiFAYlhMjuDgRw - CaptainTeddybear's Youtube

https://discord.gg/5yK5hDS - Big Iron Gaming Discord.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/BigIronGames - Big Iron Gaming Steam group.