Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Bearers

Now, what weaponry did a color-bearer bring into battle? Was he unarmed as he is in the game, or did he typically have something in which to defend himself and the colors with?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalExile View Post
    Now, what weaponry did a color-bearer bring into battle? Was he unarmed as he is in the game, or did he typically have something in which to defend himself and the colors with?
    The color-bearers carry only the flag because it took up both their hands and he had a color guard to defend himself and the flag.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Correct Saris, no Armory issued weapons were given to standard carriers.

Now whether or not a soldier were to carry a personal defense revolver, pistol or knife as part of his kit, was up to him; and of his own pay.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by L. Hopper View Post
    Correct Saris, no Armory issued weapons were given to standard carriers.

Now whether or not a soldier were to carry a personal defense revolver, pistol or knife as part of his kit, was up to him; and of his own pay.
    Off the top of my head I can think of at least one instance where a colour bearer shot the man trying to take his flag (Tom Custers second CMH award I think it was) so this certainly did happen.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    This discussion on arming color bearers is all well and good but I do believe the Developers have stated Color Bearers in Game will not be armed.

I know not much of detailed history of the civil war, but in Napoleontic period it was indeed an honour to carry the flag. Also it came together with a rank in the field. Some say it is a ceremonial rank only, but some of them where younger officers in training. So indeed it was a special tast in the field. Also it came with a sword to defend yourself and you where surrounded by sappers and other special soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    What was the way color bearers were picked during the war? Was it someone who was randomly picked or was it someone of strong character/bravery?

The reason I ask is because I was doing more research on my 3x Grandfather and found out he was color bearer for the 20th Georgia during Gettysburg and was wounded at Devils Den.

Personally I'd rather carry a rifle but did men want to be color bearer and did they consider it an honor?
    From what i understand, Color bearers were generally the best and most exemplary soldiers in the unit. Being chosen as the Color bearer was considered to be a massive honor and something that can only be earned and not given out of necessity.