Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote for new officer

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Give everyone a change, the best officer I had so far was "mudcrab" without any clan tag......I really really hope that those "regiments" will not grow an elite status in their heads
    With enough servers, private and public everyone will get a chance at Captaining. However on Private servers you follow the clan/owners rules, if they insist on their Officers then you either accept it or move on, simple.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

New players who want to learn a role will have a much harder time trying to learn if they keep getting kicked from the role. And judging by how this community has a pretty visceral reaction to anyone who they deem as 'not good' for leading, whether that's because they cannot do the proper drill commands, or because they don't know the maps as well as you may or any other reason.

On the flipside, there are quite a few legitimate reasons why someone may want to kick an officer. Abuse of the role, just blatant teamkilling, or just being a general dick who decides to shoot people who don't listen to him.

Honestly, for every reason I think of to not implement it, I can think of a good reason to implement it.

People have already said this over and over including me but you could just link company tool and make companies that have 20+ people allow their officers to access the officer class as well with NCOs. If you want to keep the class open cool maybe you could make public servers this way but I know for the 72nd server we hate it when randoms jump into an officer spot and take it from our officers and they're incapable of leading and we either deal with it or have to kick them if they don't leave the class when asked to. Voting system could work for public servers but I think there should be a optional whitelist system or something for private servers such as the 72nd one.
    CLICK ABOVE TO CHECK OUT THE 1ST CAVALRY

2nd Lt. Ogle
    1st Maine Cavalry Company G

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    While I support a voting system, it could also be misused and take away the chance for "new" officers.
    Imagine a new player joins the server and 2 companies playing as well. These 2 companies just voting for their own officers to be able to lead. The new guy, a talented young officer, is not able to show his skills sadly
    You're assuming people would always want to do the officer role. I've seen a lot of full servers at times almost entirely void of company players. That's why I argue that a more complex system where players freely associate with others where you start a 'company/squad' in-game and people join it, allowing you to unlock a role if enough join, would be better. It would also mean that the NCOs technically have hierarchy role in that since they would have squad mates of some sort.

People would be voting in a sense by choosing whose in-game company or squad to join or leave. Once you get enough people to join the one you started you unlock a set role (NCO or later, officer), which you can also cede to another player and appoint other players as Corporals or Sergeants. It sounds complex but I don't think it needs to be something beyond just an enhanced role selection page.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    Then surely he'd go to another server to test his skills then?

For me a voting system, along with a 5 min deployment phase is the best option. After each round we could have a pop up 'Keep current Officers - Yes/No' or 'New Vote'.
    Five minutes might be too long if you're just playing around with friends. A server-side variable would be better or perhaps one just depending on the server population - 2 minutes minimum - 5 minutes max for a fuller server.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-29-2018 at 01:18 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

Because Elections are always fair and never manipulated by small groups steeped deeply in their own self-interest.

I agree that 'something' needs to be changed but what exactly is anyone's opinion.

Have to agree that Private Servers will fix much of the problem but ...
    If only someone had warned that animosity and elitism (if not overcome) would see the Community fracture into 257 companies with 257 servers with 257 unique rule sets ... all playing by themselves.
    Oh, wait ... we did.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

Perhaps a white-list feature would suffice for the time being? Folk who run their own servers are free to nominate who they like and the community servers are open to all. If there is no-one present on the server who validates the slot, the role is open until they log on.

USA Sergeant

Maybe a vote at the end of the game?
    And the user is blocked from spawning as an officer in the next map if the vote is sufficent bad.
    (so it need an active no vote)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

Because Elections are always fair and never manipulated by small groups steeped deeply in their own self-interest.
    The nature of this game is beneficial to this situation. If people like how someone leads, they'll be in his company. If they didn't, they wouldn't be in his company. Therefor, the people who a part of your "small group" would have voted for the commander they like to begin with. This is also solved in public servers by showing a percentage of games won while that player was in command. Public players won't vote for [1stTX] Lt. Col. General President LaBelle if his win percentage is 12%. They will vote for BigWomenMakeMeHappy420_69 though, because his win percentage is 99%.

Perhaps a white-list feature would suffice for the time being? Folk who run their own servers are free to nominate who they like and the community servers are open to all. If there is no-one present on the server who validates the slot, the role is open until they log on.
    That's a solution for the private servers, but I don't see how it'd work on public servers. I do like the idea of having a white list that's deactivated when no white-listed players are on, though. Gives the white-listed priority but doesn't close the class completely.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    That's a solution for the private servers, but I don't see how it'd work on public servers. I do like the idea of having a white list that's deactivated when no white-listed players are on, though. Gives the white-listed priority but doesn't close the class completely.
    I suppose it doesn't really have to be enabled on public servers, by definition and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    I thought this was the way to go originally but generally my server (Old Pa) is full of random players. Some of them who I don't know are quite good at trying to run the show. Some old-timers seem to be going through burnout and not coming around as much.

Now I've largely ignored 'modern' shooters of all types for a long time. I did have a free demo (and then later bought without opening the package)of Battlefield 2. I appreciated its squad mechanism. Anyone could create a squad, you could even lock it (invite only). Make it like that but so the role you have (Corporal/Sergeant/Lt/Captain) depends on how many willingly join you. Seems simple and fair and allows for all sorts of cross-overs and coalitions. You could still have multiple officers you'd just have to have people join you. And players would have to join something to spawn in that regiment.

I maintain the officer class is essentially a pistol with binos class but the role playing dogma of the average gamer is such that you'll get a crowd following you if you remotely try just for nabbing the class first. It will never mean anything until it means something.

It would mean something if it meant that X number of players willingly joined your squad in that round to the point you got enough to be an officer. Then people automatically know you having the role means something more than just literally whoever picked it first in the round. I'd have liked to see WoR not have an officer role until the class meant something. It's just a bottleneck to creative thinking half the time as it is.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-30-2018 at 01:18 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n