Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote for new officer

Vote for new officer

We've all had those games where the officer has no clue what he's doing. Or two officers are arguing giving commands to their fellow officer's battalion. It would be good if we could vote in game to someone who's giving actual good commands as a private or NCO. Blackwake has a vote before a game starts. I had a game just recently where we had to defend a point, and our officer kept telling us to flank the attackers and charge at them even though we had good defensive position. It was frustrating and takes away the immersion. Some who knew what to do listened to me and stayed back. But majority followed their commanders in a AAA FPS manner.

I feel like voting might indeed be the best option. Somewhere convenient like the spawn screen. There are some decent rookies I've seen in the last few months that I woudln't have guessed would be any good.

Let's say the officer crashes though and we still want him when he comes back while someone else has taken the role? What's a way we can make it work without all the work without requiring another voting mess?

I'm starting to think this game needs a good old-fashioned squad mechanic-style mechanism with the player who creates the squad being the dictator of it, other players allowed to join or leave squads at will and if his 'squad' gets big enough he can take an officer role and designate NCOs (unless the server admin locks it in which case the team leader can force all that and players to take roles and they can't leave them). All that can happen in the spawn menu. Squad mates names show up in a slightly different color when you bring up the interface in game.

It would happen the first time people spawn in players can freely associate with whatever one they want to while respawning and according to their choices unless the server gave a role to an officer who could dictate both regiments and their structure
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I don't see this as being a part of the game, more so a part of the Company Tool. You've got 45 minutes (currently,) in game and you're supposed to be fighting for a point of contention.
    When are you going to find time to vote?

Sadly there are times when the officer of a unit can't make it to a fight so his second needs to step up … this of course under controlled situations. On an ad hoc pick up server where no one knows who the next guy is, I don't see this happening.

You want a leader then join a company that has a leader. This of course may take you 2 or 3 tries to find a leader that suitable to your liking.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I don't see this as being a part of the game, more so a part of the Company Tool. You've got 45 minutes (currently,) in game and you're supposed to be fighting for a point of contention.
    When are you going to find time to vote?

Sadly there are times when the officer of a unit can't make it to a fight so his second needs to step up … this of course under controlled situations. On an ad hoc pick up server where no one knows who the next guy is, I don't see this happening.

You want a leader then join a company that has a leader. This of course may take you 2 or 3 tries to find a leader that suitable to your liking.
    Voting would take all of ten seconds if the election was something like Blackwake's system. You want to play as the officer, press F9. Your name appears in a menu, and people can use their mouse to vote for you. Maybe even show your percentage of wins next to your name.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

It could be part of a short planning phase. You could also use it to chart out the hierarchy. I'm just saying everything would be by free association. Following someone is voluntary so why not make it organized.

So when I come into the map I start a 'squad' and take dictator of the squad. If nobody joins it, I'm just a private. If 5 guys join it I'm a corporal. Ten guys a sergeant, and I get to appoint a corporal or even cede someone else command of the group. Twenty guys a Lieutenant and it becomes a company. If too many people switch out of your 'squad' then you start having to respawn next as a rank down. I'm not set on it for sure, just an idea that might work as far as roles go that would work in a lot of situations. I'm not sure where flag bearers would go. Perhaps if someone picked the flag bearer then it creates a color guard and four other players can join it. They may become a formality of course if an outsider retrieves the flag.

This way if you have an organization with 20 guys in the server you're guaranteed to get the officer role assuming you can command as much. It would help if the screen was accessible even outside of death so you can make adjustments. Perhaps a server admin could permanently put people in squads or set a team dictator (who may not be an admin, just a team leader) who could set people into squads and perhaps even have the option of being given kicking or banning powers on his own team. It would help for events to be able to appoint someone with that kind of power and it would add some tools to make organization a little faster.

The next person in line becomes the officer if the previous guy leaves. Or whoever was appointed the next rank by the creator of that squad

As far as gameplay goes, nothing changes just the player names perhaps change to be color coded by 'squad' and the special roles are dispersed based on who chooses to associate with them.

So the first 30 seconds on the new skirmish area you'd see a list of people creating squads with a chat feed. Then it starts letting people join squads. Not everyone starts their own squads because it won't let you spawn until you get other people to join it. After 90 seconds into the round the players spawn (maybe even in their squads (that might be too ambitious)) and the rest of the planning phase commences where players can't shoot or stab or leave the immediate area.

Then after that planning phase ends (a server setting length perhaps) then the round goes live. It would help a lot and I think people would like something like that.

You might just end up with one large random squad for each regiment in the round but you at least leave the option open of people saying "this guy's an idiot let's start another one"
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-28-2018 at 04:15 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Voting would take all of ten seconds if the election was something like Blackwake's system. You want to play as the officer, press F9. Your name appears in a menu, and people can use their mouse to vote for you. Maybe even show your percentage of wins next to your name.
    While I support a voting system, it could also be misused and take away the chance for "new" officers.
    Imagine a new player joins the server and 2 companies playing as well. These 2 companies just voting for their own officers to be able to lead. The new guy, a talented young officer, is not able to show his skills sadly

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    While I support a voting system, it could also be misused and take away the chance for "new" officers.
    Imagine a new player joins the server and 2 companies playing as well. These 2 companies just voting for their own officers to be able to lead. The new guy, a talented young officer, is not able to show his skills sadly
    If the "new" soldier is talented, then they should join the a company if they want to lead.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Then surely he'd go to another server to test his skills then?

For me a voting system, along with a 5 min deployment phase is the best option. After each round we could have a pop up 'Keep current Officers - Yes/No' or 'New Vote'.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    Then surely he'd go to another server to test his skills then?

For me a voting system, along with a 5 min deployment phase is the best option. After each round we could have a pop up 'Keep current Officers - Yes/No' or 'New Vote'.
    You see, this is exactly what I experienced on US servers so far...an officer giving orders and then there were always guys discussing this and knowing everything better, in the end we lost because half the team did what they wanted and of course the "young officer" was to blame.

Give everyone a change, the best officer I had so far was "mudcrab" without any clan tag......I really really hope that those "regiments" will not grow an elite status in their heads
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I'm starting to think this game needs a good old-fashioned squad mechanic-style mechanism with the player who creates the squad being the dictator of it
    ^^^ THIS. It's really the only thing that makes any sense at all. The Company tool lets you join/form a Company, but then the actual game itself does nothing at all to help you to fight/form up with the Company that you are a part of. This system would fix that, and not only for officers, but for flag bearers as well.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.