Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharps Rifle and Sharpshooters

Hello All...I am new to WOR. I drilled and fought twice so far. Two greenhorn questions that have probably been asked somewhere before AND answered. How do i know how many enemy soldiers I hit ? ..and..is there a way to monitor my kills during and after a battle ? Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Hohens View Post
    Hello All...I am new to WOR. I drilled and fought twice so far. Two greenhorn questions that have probably been asked somewhere before AND answered. How do i know how many enemy soldiers I hit ? ..and..is there a way to monitor my kills during and after a battle ? Thank You
    F9 takes you straight to a screen where you can examine your kills. fastyes.gif Alternatively you can just record and forensically analyze whether you hit people or not.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Hohens View Post
    Welcome to the game
    We have no kill feed ingame for any individuells. You will see a team score at the end of a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    There are also alleged first-hand accounts of bullets meeting mid air between the same two opposing sharpshooters until they decided to call a truce and talk it out.

I think what's supposed to make or break the Sharpshooter role is the person playing it not the weapon. The Sharps Rifle is legit in WoR, you just have to know how to shoot. Unfortunately I lost all the footage of myself sniping on Hooker's Push in September and October. I monkeyed around using the different range settings and shooting high and low until I was able to occasionally hit targets at quite a distance and moving ones at that. It's only really apparent when you hit someone when you fire at lone enemy. It's too hard to tell at formations at very long range. It'd be interesting to try it with a spotter with binoculars

I do believe some level of crowdfunder eventually gets a scoped target rifle.

I liked this essay but it doesn't talk much about the range
    http://npshistory.com/series/symposi.../11/essay5.pdf

Poorlaggedman, first of all, good to hear from you. I see you in game a lot. I will tell you that as a member of the 2nd United States Sharpshooters here, I've spent a SIGNIFICANT number of hours trying to figure out some method for consistent results with the Sharps and with other muskets. I've made pretty amazing shots myself on the battlefield and that feels great, but the randomness just doesn't make sense. I have recorded proof of shots I was taking at the shooting range where I was aimed at the top-left of the target at the instant I pulled the trigger and then bullet hit on lower right! I could live with the sway, but the bullet should hit in a line where it came out of the barrel! If the Sharps weren't rifled and fired a round ball, I wouldn't have a complaint.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    First hand accounts may exist but it does not necessarily mean that they are accurate or even correct in statement.
    Exactly.
    Often the range they give is not correct.
    They have no idea if their shot was the one that hit that general, or if it was a bullet from someone else.

Sedgwick is a good example of this. A csa "sniper" did claim that he made the shot. But the general was with troops who where taking fire from normally armed csa soldiers...
    There is no evidence that he was hit by the guy that later claimed to have shot him.

And about sources.
    Sure any soldier can claim in his memories, written 30 years later that he shot General something at 2000 yards... but that don't mean that he actually did it.
    Anything written decades after the war is highly problematic.

Find it in the Official records and it is a much more solid case.

And I suggest to anyone who think hits at long range was common.
    Try find an open area where you know the distances, bring a friend and walk 500 yards away.
    Your friend is a pretty small target. Now walk another 200 yards. and another 300. How big is your friend now?

Also remember that you actually need to judge the distance to within 50 yards or less.. or you will miss.

Try do that in an area you don't know...

And any difference in height of you and the target and you need to compensate...
    And then add the inherent inaccuracy of weapon, powder and bullet...
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-29-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Poorlaggedman ..thanks...F9 ..at least there is something ! When I fire into a distant group, I find it somewhat impossible without getting killed myself to confirm any personal kills I may have had. Not knowing for sure if you killed your target is another realism aspect of this game, in real time combat this is often the case as well. I just like to have some idea of my combat shooting accuracy and if improvements or adjustments are needed on my part.
    Last edited by Hohens; 12-29-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Hinkel ...thank you ..Glad to be here ! awesome game !!

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    F9 takes you straight to a screen where you can examine your kills. fastyes.gif ...
    Now that's not being friendly.

USA Major

The sharps Should have less sway. It was shorter in length than the muskets.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    I suggest to anyone who think hits at long range was common.
    Try find an open area where you know the distances, bring a friend and walk 500 yards away.
    Your friend is a pretty small target. Now walk another 200 yards. and another 300. How big is your friend now?

Also remember that you actually need to judge the distance to within 50 yards or less.. or you will miss.

Try do that in an area you don't know...

And any difference in height of you and the target and you need to compensate...
    And then add the inherent inaccuracy of weapon, powder and bullet...
    I agree with this to a certain point.

There were readily avaliable tools such as a range stadium for distance estimation, binoculars for target adjustment and bracing sticks (which were necessary for larger barrelled target rifles).

Check in with the 1856(?) Enfield musket manual that the British published. With the Pritchett ball, it Is possible to hit a Horse drawn artillery piece accurately with the proper training using a 1853 Model Enfield Rifle.

Both issued to troops on both sides (the ammunition sparingly but documented).
    Last edited by L. Hopper; 01-04-2019 at 03:01 AM.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West