Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding a vote kick to remove officers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    The inability for anyone but a chosen few to gain experience leading ..
    I dispute this premise. The game demands a lot of Officers and after a few maps I often see a turnover of them in the public game - also true due to the fact we’re largely a mature age playing base with limited recreational time so we play in shorter stints.

We have three choices in the PUBLIC game from what I have read here and at Steam.

1. Electing Officers
    2. White listing
    3. Leave it as is.

Well, nothing is more stifling and “chosen few” than white listing. And I would submit what we have now of any old Joe in the game grabbing Officer first is untenable.

So at the end of the day we have left Electing an Officer. It’s not a perfect solution but it will lead to a more consistent quality gameplay experience compared to the random chaos we get now.

If anyone has another practical alternative I’d love to read it.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ted E. Bear View Post
    A vote in/out system, along with an officer "credit rating" Why not mash all these into one system. Seems brilliant to me.
    Trolls will also mess up the credit rating.

I am with Stone on this, follow the one who is fit to lead no matter wat uniform he has.
    Voting system is also tricky as Cooley stated

You also need to give guys a chance to learn the ropes. I rather have a officer that really tries and fails then some idiot who thinks its fun to be an officer. It seems the guy who tries will suffer with vote system or a kick option
    Last edited by Dutchconfederate; 12-31-2018 at 07:53 AM.

USA Major

One of my guys was team-killed by a pub officer tonight after the guy ordered him to follow him. When he said his Captain (that being me) was right over there the guy TK'ed him of course because how dare someone not follow him regardless of whether we had 10 guys in game with the same tags. I'm sure the 20 guys who saw it would have voted the guy out.

Password-protected servers can't come soon enough.

USA General of the Army

Certainly, there will be some unique fixes that develop but I speak from experience when I say that even in a large organization you see the same few guys leading in the field.
    Officer, and NCO, development are difficult to achieve if the same guys are always leading.
    I do agree that the Juniors learn from seeing these successful leaders but this merely results in the mimicking of the observed style.
    True development of ones own unique Leadership Style comes from DOING and a vote system will favor large organizations who quickly vote out anyone not wearing their Tag.
    The likely result?
    A Community that is lead by a few experienced old-timers with little, to no, chance for diamonds in the rough to even be discovered much less gain experience.

We will find a way to fix this, no doubt, but a voting system gives power to a select few and MIGHT lead to some very destructive situations.
    We already have people telling members of other units to FO because "you aren't my unit commander".
    Do we really want to give those Uncooperative Elitists the ability to vote you out of a leadership position because you aren't in his unit, from his State or whatever whim tickles his vindictive streak this particular day?
    That is a bit of Southern Military Historical Accuracy that doomed the Confederacy and this game could do without.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

The inability for anyone but a chosen few to gain experience leading ... coupled with the rampant fear in this Community of being 'lorded over' by others OR the same officers being chosen just because some have banded into larger units who can sway EVERY vote ...
    it is doubtful that a voting style system would solve anything.
    This is a good assessment of the situation, which is why I think what would be better for the time being is if you had to unlock the officer. If the officer is unlocked, the system can't be abused like voting, and would fix some main concerns about the officer not being experienced. In my opinion, this is the best middle ground at the moment.

USA General of the Army

Lemmings will do as Lemmings always do. No one is forcing you to follow them.

CSA Major General

Certainly, there will be some unique fixes that develop but I speak from experience when I say that even in a large organization you see the same few guys leading in the field.
    Officer, and NCO, development are difficult to achieve if the same guys are always leading.
    As long the officers/leaders are online/alive all is swell and running smooth, when these few aren't in a position to lead it turned into 'chaos' or immobilization.
    Giving players a chance to lead (not all will be interested) and mentoring/coaching them might prove very fruitful, training NCO's & officers is something that should be taken into account for any regiment.

You have to take into account some oldtimers aren't always feeling the vibe of being expected to lead. (tiredness, just want to play … )
    There is also a major difference with servers full of regimental players, then one full of non regimental players.
    Explaining maps/ticket system/keybinds/HUD … takes up energy but is very important to do.

P.S. : every officer/nco/player is prone to make mistake, it makes us human !
    P.S. : a voting system sounds great in theory, but will depend on the people who vote.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    I understand that following an officer is important, but if he’s shite my suggestion would be see if anyone decent is playing as an NCO and follow them. Not perfect but it can help.
    I need to quote and vouch for this... I've done this personally MANY times.

Very rarely I'll only get about half the regiment following me, because they end up just following where the lines are drawn.
    Sometimes the officer shuts up and just lets me give the orders and draws the lines where requested.
    Most of the time the officer actually learns and I give control back to him, taking control when he dies or continuing to give... stern... advice.

It's about teaching guys to not be shit (can't help the ones who think the game sucks if you don't bayonet charge, though).

I do think the game needs an Officer Vote Kick system, but I don't think going the other way works (voting officers in). Like most people I'm afraid organized companies will just end up breaking this system and voting in their own officers... half of them are decent and that's fine, but the other half are either just as shit as a random pubber, or likes to give commands like 'Left face, forward march, TEN PACES!' when A) the entire regiment is in gaggle B) No one on the server understands such commands, nor should they be expected to in order to be pubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    One of my guys was team-killed by a pub officer tonight after the guy ordered him to follow him. When he said his Captain (that being me) was right over there the guy TK'ed him of course because how dare someone not follow him regardless of whether we had 10 guys in game with the same tags. I'm sure the 20 guys who saw it would have voted the guy out.

Password-protected servers can't come soon enough.
    We need passworded servers... but hopefully companies don't just retreat into them 100% and we lose the public population.

CSA Major

I'm half of the opinion that it would also be beneficial to allow access to the officer role after a set number of hours, sort of similar to RS:II Vietnam and the levels. It needn't be very long at all, enough to perhaps play for a week or so as an Enlisted man before allowed.

That's not a half bad idea either. But I'm not sure the problem is inexperienced leaders (though there is that) so much as there is idiotic leaders. Even with a time limit you'll have officers who won't have any clue what they're doing because they've never officered before.