Thread: Make The Whitworth More Accurate

CSA Captain

Make The Whitworth More Accurate

enfield-vs-whitworth.jpg

Above is a firing test comparing a Enfield 1853 And a Whitworth at 500 yards. Currently in the game the withworth is not as accurate as it should be, the difference between a 1853 enfield and a withworth is not very noticable.

I understand that for balancing reasons you dont want people being able to kill across the map BUT the withworth is a sharpshooting rifle and is supposed to be accurate, to balance it maybe make them even more rare that they are now or remove them completely from the game.

if the game is supposed to be a realistic representation of the civil war then the weapons need to represent its real capacity to a degree, because right now the weapon is almost useless. Personally id rather have a 1853 than a withworth atm.

I am not suggesting making the rifle that accurate at 500 yards in the game, the maps are simply to small. But making them accurate up 200-250 yards would make them an actual sharpshooting rifle, then maybe when the Battle mode becomes enabled increase the range a bit.

Image Source (Hungarian)
    Last edited by Jackan; 01-09-2019 at 09:10 PM.

I agree. The Whitworth should be balanced as a "sniper" rifle in my opinion. Make the reload longer perhaps, but it should most definitely be the most accurate weapon in the game. I also agree to perhaps make the chance of getting a Whitworth a bit smaller. I personally like using the Whitworth, but I believe most of the community views it as an 1853 with junky iron sights.
    "Chaplain Douglas"

Named after the 43rd Mississippi Infantry's pet camel. Confederate player. Acting Chaplain of the 6th Louisiana Infantry (Company D)
    Playing War of Rights in honor of one my Civil War Vet ancestors: Pvt. William C. Parham, 43rd Mississippi Infantry Co. A
    ~I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit~
    -Teddy Roosevelt

A sharpshooting rifle should be good enough to sharpshoot, and the Whitworth was infamous for making some filthy good shots during the war. And while the rifle may be accurate, that does mean that user error will prevent it from being used well. It will certainly take practice to be skilled with it, just like the current rifles do.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    A sharpshooting rifle should be good enough to sharpshoot, and the Whitworth was infamous for making some filthy good shots during the war. And while the rifle may be accurate, that does mean that user error will prevent it from being used well. It will certainly take practice to be skilled with it, just like the current rifles do.
    ^^^ THE perfect reply, there was a reason these weapons were only placed in the hands of skilled marksmen.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA Captain

On the Yankee side, we have found that the Sharps is less accurate than the standard Springfield or Enfield as well. It should definitely not be lesser than either of those. And the Whitworth was the most accurate one around. I like the longer load time and/or making them less likely.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

What i find strange is, why do the Sharpshooters get a 55 rifle on some maps? That one is just a basic rifle that the normal grunts get.

I mean, if we want to get super realistic, im pretty sure sure the Confederates only ordered like 250 of them. Probably half that made it past the blockade. So the gun being fielded in any large numbers in the game is already stretching the realism a bit.

https://www.twitch.tv/captainteddybear - My twitch channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8...CiFAYlhMjuDgRw - CaptainTeddybear's Youtube

https://discord.gg/5yK5hDS - Big Iron Gaming Discord.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/BigIronGames - Big Iron Gaming Steam group.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted E. Bear View Post
    I mean, if we want to get super realistic, im pretty sure sure the Confederates only ordered like 250 of them. Probably half that made it past the blockade. So the gun being fielded in any large numbers in the game is already stretching the realism a bit.

Confederates had quite a bit more than 250 chief.