Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammunition counter

USA Lieutenant General

Ammunition counter

I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for the devs to add some sort of ammo counter. By this I mean add a key that will allow the "Character" in game to check his ammo pouch and say something like Full, Partially empty or very low, just to give the player a rough estimate of when he is going to run out of ammo not an exact ammount.

- Kyle
    Last edited by Kyle422; 08-20-2018 at 10:39 PM.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    A player is never out of choices for taking out the enemy.
    Once you run out of rounds for your weapon, (If you live long enough on the field to do so,) as many a good Confederate General used to say, "Give them the bayonet!"

(doing so usually gets you killed so you can replenish yer ammo! )

I think instead of a number, do what Kyle suggested, have a little icon with the pouch that goes down as you expend ammunition. +1 On this.

USA Major

I can't remember many times where I ran out of ammunition before dying... maybe once or twice over 260+ hours of playing time. I'm not sure this is needed.

USA Major

Don't think there needs to be some kind of special display. Just have the number rounds left displayed when you hit the T key. There are a few skirmishers where there is a tendency to just shoot away and you need some way to let your commander know its charge or throw rocks time.
    Lightfoot

CSA Captain

I can see a need for this with Buck & Ball ammo, but yes, on the menu when you press T.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Don't think there needs to be some kind of special display. Just have the number rounds left displayed when you hit the T key. There are a few skirmishers where there is a tendency to just shoot away and you need some way to let your commander know its charge or throw rocks time.
    Well the point is to give you an idea, not an exact number since you wouldn't be able to count instantly how many rounds there are, but you could probably feel and guestimate how much ammo you have left, hence a display or text saying 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' 'Empty', etc. I actually think text would fit far better with the overall UI right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I can't remember many times where I ran out of ammunition before dying... maybe once or twice over 260+ hours of playing time. I'm not sure this is needed.
    When the larger historical battles launch that will be longer, you will find yourself low on ammo or out much more often. Even in skirmishes now, actual skirmishers would go through a lot more ammo than regular line battle infantry.

The idea is definatly very interesting and might get tested soon or later.
    As suggested, 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' and so on would be best

CSA Captain

Make it so the player rummages through his cartridge box, giving the player a few short seconds to see what he has left.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Well the point is to give you an idea, not an exact number since you wouldn't be able to count instantly how many rounds there are, but you could probably feel and guestimate how much ammo you have left, hence a display or text saying 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' 'Empty', etc..
    Red orchestra had an text 'ammo check' sort of what you propose (see video) … I also would prefer a button (instead of automatic) so it doesn't bother people who don't use it.