Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revert TK Messages Back to Team Chat Feed

USA General of the Army

Revert TK Messages Back to Team Chat Feed

Title says it all, I suggest we go back to the TK kill feed system we had before except make it where you can only see them for your team. This would allow Officers and NCO's to see it happening and take appropriate action to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    Title says it all, I suggest we go back to the TK kill feed system we had before except make it where you can only see them for your team. This would allow Officers and NCO's to see it happening and take appropriate action to stop it.
    Second

Making TK's semi-anonymous has led to a new mystique around the TK. A guy shoots a guy. The victim is gone and basically unable to chat from death until respawned. Moreover nobody really knows who the victim even was other than the fact that someone (often an officer or flag bearer). There's also disinformation that spreads easily. People vying for power. A friend TKing a friend and blaming it on someone completely different to solicit reprisal. A general sense of distrust and confusion prevails now from TKs that was more transparent when there was a death message. People are taking advantage of it and using their one or two TKs to cause chaos without reprisal or solid evidence against them other than for their victim, who may not be a reliable witness himself.

It leans on the Autoban system, which is essential, but not a sufficient deterrent or magnitude to deter people who like to pick around the edges of it.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Valid arguments, personally I am somewhat happy to NOT see that the team is loosing 60(!) men to friendly fire....

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Making TK's semi-anonymous has led to a new mystique around the TK. A guy shoots a guy. The victim is gone and basically unable to chat from death until respawned. Moreover nobody really knows who the victim even was other than the fact that someone (often an officer or flag bearer). There's also disinformation that spreads easily. People vying for power. A friend TKing a friend and blaming it on someone completely different to solicit reprisal. A general sense of distrust and confusion prevails now from TKs that was more transparent when there was a death message. People are taking advantage of it and using their one or two TKs to cause chaos without reprisal or solid evidence against them other than for their victim, who may not be a reliable witness himself.

It leans on the Autoban system, which is essential, but not a sufficient deterrent or magnitude to deter people who like to pick around the edges of it.
    Pretty lengthy way of saying "Yeah, I agree."
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I also agree. Seems like only places to find not as many tks is community servers with active server admins who are watching and broadcasting warnings. We need everyone to see the teamkills again.

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

We will reconsider the change after some more testing has been done.

Several of you ask about being able to name and shame the tk'ing individual - I'd like to ask if you think that being able to do so helped stop more trolls (they love attention) and caused less bad feelings in general when that was possible via the tk feed to everyone.

From our point of view, a non admin player is not supposed to name or shame (or even revenge tk) other community members. The action against said player falls under the admins of the server. While I accept that there is a possibility for more confusion with the hidden tk's currently - I wonder if said confusion is worth it in order to stop naming, shaming and revenge tk's and instead move the judgement to the admins.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    Thank you for your response, Trusty.

In my estimation, publicly displaying TKs results in fewer Revenge TKs.

In War of Rights, the player team-killed seems to be mollified by the fact that the entire server has seen what has occurred; hence, they are content to just call their killer a string of obscenities and leave it at at that. But, when the TKs is hidden, the player team-killed has no such mollification and feels they have been killed with impunity. They then decide to seek retribution on their own terms and engage in Revenge TKs.
    This is one of the reasons why we feel it needs longer testing. In short, we're all used to be able to see TK's all of the time, and thus, logically, espect to get that information still one way or another (via tk feed or asking in chat).

We're interested in seeing how it evolves once the norm of being able to get that info is no longer the norm - if that makes any sense.

In regards to more revenge tk's - possibly but that can again be due to the above.

As I wrote in another thread we might expand the auto ban system in the future so it logs individual behavior and thus adjusts its harshness based on the individual player (could be that once you've gotten, say, 3 temp bans on a specific server the punishment system will now only allow you to do half of the normal accepted amount of team damage before you are temp banned) - we will gladly temp ban revenge tk'ers as we will temp ban tk'ers as the "revenge" for trolling should be at the administrator of the server, not the individual players.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

I can tell you that from the 1st Texas' point of view, we absolutely hate seeing people get tked by one of us and the fact that everyone could see it was a huge reason we did "anti tk" drills. It's just bad publicity for a unit if people see a dozen or so TKs from one unit during a match.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA General of the Army

As LaBelle says, there was a lot of unit pride involved in making a charge and not seeing any TK's from our team in the feed. Those messages showed problems that we needed to fix, when they came up it was a flag to us that it needs to be addressed now before it became an issue. Now that no one except those involved can see it, we can't correct it unless someone tells us it happened. It also makes it hard to tell if you're bleeding tickets because of it, I don't remember if there was a morale modifier for a TK vs a standard loss. But, my experience since the notices were changed has been a ramp up in the number of TK's per match.