Thread: Rifle Mechanics and Other Things: Ideas for Development Consideration

Rifle Mechanics and Other Things: Ideas for Development Consideration

Hey all,

So far having accumulated 47 hours of game time in WoR, I have notice a few things that I think should be different and implemented regarding the mechanics of the game, especially weapons, for the sake of gameplay flow and (intended) realism. So, here I go!:

The Weight and Length of Rifles:

So far, it seems that WoR places no emphasis on the type of rifle you are using. Sure range is different for the currently available rifles, but a few other additional features and "stats" regarding the differentiation of the weapons would be nice. For instance,

1. Shorter rifles should muzzle load faster than longer rifles, either while the user is standing up, or kneeling. Shorter rifles should also be able to be loaded while on the move, although, less quickly with a significant cost to stamina, depending if the user is in quick time or double quick time.

2. The reloading of ALL muskets, should be broken down into component processes, from a coding perspective, instead of having one, linear process that must be restarted if the player does not finish loading the weapon before moving. Say, if a weapon is loaded to the point of its cartridge being rammed down the barrel, with at least one "stroke" done, then it should be inconceivable that the cartridge itself would fall out of the barrel after the reload has been interrupted by the user's movement.

However, only ramming the cartridge down with a single stroke should be governed by a script in the coding to randomly determine a set chance for the cartridge itself not being fully loaded to its proper position in the barrel, thus, resulting in a fouled projectile with severely limited velocity, accuracy, and overall performance. Then again, the player should have the option to restart and complete the ramming process of the reload, manually, in order to achieve a properly loaded projectile in the barrel.

After this, the player, no matter if they are using a short rifle or long rifle, should be able to change their primers while on the move, with a cost to timeliness and stamina, if they are moving to quickly (i.e. double quick time instead of quick time). There should also be a percent chance that the user will foul the loading of their primer by dropping the primer itself, in their haste.

LET ME ATTEMPT TO SUM THIS WALL OF TEXT up a little more coherently FOR THE READER LOL::

So basically, the reloading process of muskets should be so that it is dynamic and not linear. It should first be concerned with, IF, the user has rammed the cartridge down the barrel in order to prevent the cartridge from falling out of the muzzle while moving, THEN, it should be concerned with if the cartridge has been fully-rammed and loaded down the barrel properly to allow for maximum velocity, range, accuracy, and therefore, performance.

FINALLY, the script should allow, no matter what rifle is being used, for loading of primer while on the move, with a time penalty proportionate to the speed of movement by the user, the worst penalty being, the primer is dropped accidentally, and the user must start the loading of the primer again.

3. When reloading in formation, the user should get a standard buff to the speed of their reload, whether they are standing or kneeling (kneeling while in formation would have to first be recognized as being in formation as well, by the current game logic, as this is not so).

Additionally, the officer of a regiment, with their soldiers assembled in formation, should be able to order them into some sort of "defense" or "garrison" mode. This order would allow their troops to load even faster, while in cover. A good visual (animated) way to achieve this would be by having it so that the individual rifleman, while in "garrison mode" would not have to replace their ramrod after each use while loading, instead, placing it down or leaning in the environment around them (on the ground, against a fence or a wall, etc...). This infantry "mode" should also give a solid buff to accuracy as well, and could possibly, even be built upon later to include some sort of game mechanic that would allow for the replenishing of ammunition supplies. Entering and exiting the "garrison" mode should take a little extra time on the behalf of the individual rifleman, after all, you wouldn't leave your ramrod behind while getting up to move! However, the trade-off having quicker reloads in combat within that instance should be well worth it!

More ideas to come, thanks for straining to read and comprehend these blurbs of wall text...

- Lux

It's a good idea for the musket loading. I would advocate it aswell but it seems that the general concession is to just have a partial historic game with piece-meal fact.

The second portion is interesting but it would require developers to work. I remember doing this at Fredericksburg years ago, a lot of ramrods were left behind that day.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West