Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Footprints are not viable updates

I'd really like to see a recording of any game anywhere where a majority of 100 players agreed to take the time and effort to vote kick a specific player. Kick, by definition, also means he can come right back after being kicked. It wouldn't happen. I might have seen 17/32 players do it once in my thousands of hours of gaming.

Honestly if I was frustrated it was mostly in 2018 when the primary focus was on the flag-bearer system and it took that many months of work to get out. I felt alone in my frustration during that time. Obviously it's just going to be a laborious process of development. The flag bearer spawn makes sense to work on that long in hindsight. It wouldn't make sense to waste time developing a totally worthless kick feature for a community clamoring for updates. The big updates presumably involve a lot of programming which will take time. Don't get mad because the other team members who aren't programmers are doing stuff and generating incremental updates. Look at the credits for the major shooter games out there. They're big operations. These big titles are costing one-hundred-million dollars at the low end to produce. That's more than most movies cost to produce.

I'm pretty sure that kind of money isn't laying around here. What we do have plenty of is time.
    whip.gif

The reason people are less placated now I think is a drop off from the swell of players we tasted in December and January. We went from reliably full servers most hours of the day to not that. At the same time, people aren't really working together as a community from what I see.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ted E. Bear View Post
    I dont want to throw shade but a lot of the dedicated pub players I talk to seem to be put off by the way regimental players handle themselves in-game and how they are treated by said regimental players. Also the trolling behavior that happens a lot with no way to prevent/reprimand it made a lot of people stop playing at the moment. We desperately need at least some sort of votekick system. for the rampant TKers, Trolls, N-bomb droppers, and other buzzkillers.
    Good God am I sick of this crap.

You know what regiments are? Groups of pubbies that have banded together to play a game. The minute a pubbie joins a regiment, his true self comes out and he's doing the same crap he got mad at a regiment for doing just a week prior. They're not sick of how regiments act, they're sick of not being part of the in-crowd. This game was made for regiments, and that's inherent in the company tool and its inherent in the game design. Anyways, back to the REAL reason we're all talking about.

Trusty, it doesn't feel like you're listening to our suggestions when you refuse to communicate anything of real weight to us. It's always some vague allusion, which hypes people up unnecessarily.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Good God am I sick of this crap.

You know what regiments are? Groups of pubbies that have banded together to play a game. The minute a pubbie joins a regiment, his true self comes out and he's doing the same crap he got mad at a regiment for doing just a week prior. They're not sick of how regiments act, they're sick of not being part of the in-crowd. This game was made for regiments, and that's inherent in the company tool and its inherent in the game design. Anyways, back to the REAL reason we're all talking about.

Trusty, it doesn't feel like you're listening to our suggestions when you refuse to communicate anything of real weight to us. It's always some vague allusion, which hypes people up unnecessarily.
    I'm sorry you feel I'm not listening nor communicating with you.

I don't know what to say to this really. I've outlined our reasoning to the post early access requests as well as what we're doing to meet the requests of the veterans.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

While I am greatly unhappy, I must admit to seeing both sides.
    It IS Alpha (no matter what title this segment of testing wears) as I have Alpha Tested enough games to know how an Alpha feels compared to a BETA release.
    This means that we must understand that game Mechanics are being tested and not game Play.
    HUGE difference between the two.
    This is NOT the game that will Launch ... not even close.

On the other side ...

The direction and speed that this train is headed is undeniably confusing and frustrating.
    I have given up on Cav ever leaving the stable and moving to Arty has done little to stem the tide of infuriated inactivity among the troops.
    I don't wish to belabor the point about the difference between a Mil-Sim and a Line Battle Sim but the same ... they are NOT.
    Most Alphas see an increase in activity, with each update, followed by a lull until the next but ...
    My guys get one look at the Update Post and have zero desire to test what is presented here.
    So they wait for the next update in hopes of something worthwhile to test.

Granted, the graphics and window dressing set WoR in a good class of games but ...
    It took us about 3 minutes to test the muddy footprints and exhaust our bag of campfire smoke jokes that we aimed at the Battery Cook, Cpl Jones.
    Leifr mentioned meat and it is a good analogy ...
    Our Lads are not vegans and will gladly return to the game when Cpl Jones gets more from CG for us to sample than hard tack and hay.
    Oh, and squirrel does not count.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

And I'm sorry if I came off as unappreciative of the work you do, I just wish we all knew more about what was going on in you and Fancy's minds when it comes to the game design and course.

It IS Alpha (no matter what title this segment of testing wears) as I have Alpha Tested enough games to know how an Alpha feels compared to a BETA release.
    This means that we must understand that game Mechanics are being tested and not game Play.
    HUGE difference between the two.
    This is NOT the game that will Launch ... not even close.
    Right, I agree with all of your points. This game is clearly Alpha and not Beta, but what I was saying was that by releasing to Steam EA(which, by industry standards, marks an improvement and the "next step" after an Alpha,)to the lay-mans that means it just somehow isn't Alpha. Even to us who are in the know, Steam Early Access was supposed to come after Beta. Yet...here we are, and somehow it's still Alpha? I certainly agree the game should still be in Alpha, though.
    Last edited by LaBelle; 03-03-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA General of the Army

Agreed
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

I helped Crowdfund Titanic: Honor and Glory so many years ago I've honestly almost forgot about it. It may have been as early as 2012 but might have been earlier because I remember the developers doing some big deal on the 100th anniversary of the sinking (2012). At some point the thing started as a crowdfunding project and it's very apparent in hindsight the developers were over their heads and promised too much with the result being what it is today which is basically a free demo, game still pending. The goal was a very complex single player game based on board the Titanic, along the lines of the 1995-ish game "Titanic: Adventure out of time" but on the Crysis engine. So it could always be worse. It's part of the price of being a crowdfunder is waiting until your hair is grey.

By far my greatest frustration in WoR is in the strategies employed by people trying to run the teams. It saps the enjoyment out of the game. You can't blame them entirely because as I've pointed out people are generally too busy trying to maintain the power they have than to actually lead because the question of who leads is always in the air. Maintaining the interest and control of teammates requires rapid, bold, and condensed movements - none of which are necessarily effective. This leaves other players with the option of either following the mob or attempting to strike out on their own or in another smaller group. With that choice most people stick with the mob for the sake of making the game function. I'm starting to feel less like a Civil War soldier and more like Martin Luther nailing a protest on a church door while everyone looks at me like I'm a heretic for not enthusiastically embracing Volley Simulator 2019.

Why are we firing volleys for the first 15 minutes of a round (mostly inneffective, as I've spectated many)? Why do we always have to use the same fence and wall each time we play this map whether it's on the objective or not? Why can we literally never deploy skirmishers or reconnoiter anything, ever before we stumble in as a mob? Deviation from norms is met with hostility. You have to be basic or people will not follow you. Are you even a real officer if you don't tell your teammates to "get your reloads in" at the start of the round?
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 03-03-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

I think we all just need to step back and admire the view for a quick second. I don't think the lack of updates and features is the entire reason so many people have stopped playing at this time. It is definitely an underlying reason but in reality many of the people who have taken a break from the game have simply overplayed it and they became bored. No matter how feature rich this game may become in the future every individual will tire of it and need a break. To address the thought of "footprints aren't a good enough reason to play" simply put they are for many people. I enjoy seeing any update the developers release and I not only enjoy but feel the need to test the game after minor and major updates. The last few patches that increased the frame rate was a big step up for me since I run WoR on a low end PC. I saw my frames go from 15-20 to 25-30.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I'm sorry you feel I'm not listening nor communicating with you.

I don't know what to say to this really. I've outlined our reasoning to the post early access requests as well as what we're doing to meet the requests of the veterans.

- Trusty
    I understand, MAYBE, the reason for the performance tweaks, the 'maybe' is only relative however if the new game mode you are working on happens to be the much vaunted 'Historical' mode. I'd agree with most of these guys, Skirmish Mode does lack depth, but that's because it's meant as a 'quick fix'. The basics are in place but from a players/testers point of view we need more depth for certain.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I understand, MAYBE, the reason for the performance tweaks, the 'maybe' is only relative however if the new game mode you are working on happens to be the much vaunted 'Historical' mode. I'd agree with most of these guys, Skirmish Mode does lack depth, but that's because it's meant as a 'quick fix'. The basics are in place but from a players/testers point of view we need more depth for certain.
    The game mode is not Historical Battles but it is designed to allow for much more inconsistency in its gameplay (or freedom or whatever you'd like to label it as) than the Skirmishes game mode is offering.

There are pros and cons for both. A more consistent game mode (more strict tactical options) allow for an even game experience while an inconsistent game mode allowing for more tactical choices will sometimes surprise you but other times bore you.

In any case, we look forward to be sharing the details of the game mode with you soon.

- Trusty