Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Footprints are not viable updates

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    ! Bugfixing and Optimisation are surely ongoing in any game development?
    Seems reasonable...

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post

Everything in existence is at expense of other stuff.

- Trusty
    I'm confused, I said previously that surely bug fixing/optimisation is continuous... and was told the above.

However later...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post

Most features and fixes are developed in parallel, but not all features can be worked on simultaneously by multiple developers.

- Michael
    I'm getting mixed messages...I think its clear that as stated by other members, we need more communication to clarify the situation and help us all understand whats going on. I hope you agree!
    4th Texas 'C' Company

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    What's to be confused about?

If you have 3 programmers, 1 full time, the other 2 part time, and you have 6 objectives that have varying priorities, how do optimize who works on what?

This is the situation as I see it. One full time programmer hammers away at the highest priority objective until it's decided to be released for testing.

The other 2 part time programmers work on other priority objectives as they can, because they have other commitments to other people not CG only.

During that time something breaks, now it becomes priority. Who gets to fix it?

But wait! We still want new content, but we can't guarantee it'll work if we don't have all the other peripheral commands and programs in place.

Then there's the issue of new models and new animations. But the animator is also your full time programmer. So what is now his current priority? Animation or programming?

This is all hypothetical, but could very well be close to the situation at Campfire Games. They don't have a 20 man modelling team, or a 15 man programming team or anything on that scale.

They're 5 or 6 guys, most not full time, working on a passion of their own that they wanted to share with others. We the players are fortunate for these guys. I for one appreciate every bloody footstep they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    I'm getting mixed messages...I think its clear that as stated by other members, we need more communication to clarify the situation and help us all understand whats going on. I hope you agree!
    Multiple people work on different things at the same time, but multiple people can not work on the same feature at the same time to speed it up.
    I am working on a rather big retooling of a lot of networking and connectivity related things that are necessary to ensure that the play and development experience becomes more stable.
    While doing that i can not work on gameplay features.
    Sometimes features that you cant necessarily see are some of the more complex ones that require a bigger upfront amount of work to make future development easier and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post

If you have 3 programmers, 1 full time, the other 2 part time, and you have 6 objectives that have varying priorities, how do optimize who works on what?

This is the situation as I see it. One full time programmer hammers away at the highest priority objective until it's decided to be released for testing.

The other 2 part time programmers work on other priority objectives as they can, because they have other commitments to other people not CG only.

But wait! We still want new content, but we can't guarantee it'll work if we don't have all the other peripheral commands and programs in place.

Then there's the issue of new models and new animations. But the animator is also your full time programmer. So what is now his current priority? Animation or programming?

This is all hypothetical, but could very well be close to the situation at Campfire Games. They don't have a 20 man modelling team, or a 15 man programming team or anything on that scale.

They're 5 or 6 guys, most not full time, working on a passion of their own that they wanted to share with others. We the players are fortunate for these guys. I for one appreciate every bloody footstep they provide.
    How is it going with your light Division Major General?

Anyways I can understand it is not going fast with a small team. People are looking for a bit more communication which seems to be happening at the moment after multiple requests.
    The need to have properly organized events to our choosing with locked servers is something that should happen rather now then later. Those who rent a private server shouldnt have to care about how big or small the player base is. I do not feel its up to a dev to place that on the shoulders of the players. Players want the option to have events to their liking. Its what they pay for.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by sunnlok View Post
    Multiple people work on different things at the same time, but multiple people can not work on the same feature at the same time to speed it up.
    I am working on a rather big retooling of a lot of networking and connectivity related things that are necessary to ensure that the play and development experience becomes more stable.
    Sometimes features that you cant necessarily see are some of the more complex ones that require a bigger upfront amount of work to make future development easier and faster.
    Thank you for telling us what you're working on. Thats the small details I like to hear.

Why do you do this? What do you expect it will change in the future?

Even if it' s a simple answer like: it will result in better network performance and will improve xy maybe.

Thats enough for me personally. Thats something i can give to my members. They expect that I am able to answer their questions about the game. I want to answer this questions because it motivates them to play the game and keep active.

When we rally on saturday for drills and event I tell them what I read in the forum and what interesting things I was able to read in the dev posts. So they see work goes on. my guys know that You are a small team because I tell them this everytime they start hyping something so they come back on the ground but are motivated because they see progress..

for example on saturday I will tell them:

- artillery is underway but needs more time
    - a new game mode should game in the near future but it is not the historical battlemode
    - they working on retooling the networking and connectivity
    - also south mountain is underway since some pics were shown but I didnt hear something when it could be ready
    - remember they are still increasing the performance and fixing bugs so dont expect to much

maybe it will be like that if I dont find something additionally but thats the shit they like to hear

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

Thanks for telling us what you're working on Sun, I appreciate it.

I definitely appreciate hearing from Michael and Sunnlok more, and would love to hear from every member of our team.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Thanks for telling us what you're working on Sun, I appreciate it.

I definitely appreciate hearing from Michael and Sunnlok more, and would love to hear from every member of our team.
    Indeed!

They are usually neck deep in code though so I tend to convey what they are working on (which I did a few times in this thread: Rewriting the way the server handles connections, artillery, etc.).

- Trusty

USA Captain

The old Project Manager joke: a PM believes 9 women can birth a child in one month.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post

Aye the White Knight has arrived!

How do you guys release a game with such ambition and have "Part Time Dev's", So many people have crowdfunded this game and to have ONE "full time dev" Is like a slap in the face, it doesnt give hope at all, it creates uncertainty within the community as to where their assets are going too, as far as the product is concerned. I know im going to get a warning for this but Im sorry, I just cant stand idle as many die-hard fans of this game watch it snail along with updates to "CORN" textures. I love this game and im sure many others do too, we just want to see the core peices of the game get implemented and then be polished over time rather than polish polish polish, and no core game assets included. I fear if it continues you guys will slowly loose faith and trust in the community and it will become a "DayZ Scenario".

In Best Regards

~HazedVision~