Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sandbox Gamemode

Would like to see if we could revisit this idea since there haven't been any new significant game modes that have increased the longevity of the game. I know we all appreciate the work that the devs have done but to keep gamers who have so many choices engaged in a very linear game thus far we will need a more open game mode soon.

Thank you!
    Last edited by TRaider; 08-17-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    This game mode exists, it is called Picket Patrol...
    I’ve only seen SKIRMISHES. Usually only one server is open to the public. And this is the only mode.
    Is PICKET PATROLS only on locked servers and not available to the public unless invited?

CSA Major

This is an older article written in the early part of last year, so I'm not sure how much is still relevent.

As far as TRaider's intial idea of a drill camp "battle editor" goes, I think it sounds good. I'm sure a lot of rented Drill Camp server owners would really like to see this too. I'm very sure that the owners of Skirmish servers would then be requesting similar editing tools for their own rented servers.

It could be a similar game mode to Point 9 in FR41’s roadmap below:
    https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport41

Point 9: 'Historical Battles mode: Besides the quicker Skirmish mode, the largest and main game mode intended for the game, known as Historical Battles, would open up the entirety of the 4x4 km battlefields for more of a complete playthrough, with a moving frontline consisting of several capture areas. This will also entail the use of the full chain of command where players take the part of Generals, using maps and couriers to direct troops across the huge battlefield.'

A large amount of focus was given towards artillery and cavalry in the more recent FR, so the Historical Battles game mode might possibly be released at the same time or be delayed - I've no idea. It does look like CFG had planned, back in late 2018, to get another game mode released over this second Alpha development phase.

Picket Patrol was relased and FR42 was published. Picket Patrol server availbility is limited, I assume it's the inability to generate initial players. Most Picket Patrol servers that I have seen active recently have been companies who have just finished drilling and want a change from Skirmish maps and all of the usual playerbase, so they already have the numbers to instantly populate a server. To answer Vishnus question above, no this is not the case. It does seem challenging to get a Picket Patrol server active, especially for longer lengths of time.

With Historical Battles, I'll hazard another guess, comprising of the already existing skirmish boundary areas being linked and thier associated CAP points being on one map, TRaider's idea is feesable. Maybe a "Fictional Battles" game mode where users use a tool to choose map boundaries within a given area, direction of deployments (USA and CSA) and CAP points. It would mean a feature being developed and made availble to WoRs users (possibly just server owners and admins) which does not appear on the current roadmap that I can find.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Vishnu View Post
    I’ve only seen SKIRMISHES. Usually only one server is open to the public. And this is the only mode.
    Is PICKET PATROLS only on locked servers and not available to the public unless invited?
    There is one official server running Picket Patrol at the moment: War of Rights Official 7 - Drill Camp - Picket Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    I just finished reading the forum post about folks clamoring for new content. As far as content I have a wonderful idea, CG created a wonderful large map for the Drill Camp and currently it isn't being used for much. We would love to have simple editing tools to create our own points of contention and scenarios. This would increase replay value of the game by a lot.

We understand that the Drill Camp is for drill so I recommend creating an exact copy of the Drill Camp with both Union and Confederates included and call it sandbox mode or something. We already create our own events on the Drill Camp map because we enjoy but unfortunately we can only use our imagination because of the lack of these tools. We've even created our own custom map of the Drill Camp map to show the potential for different scenarios. Hopefully you all like this idea and can improve upon it. Map credit 1stLT.Paine 4th New Jersey Regiment

Since the community is at a stalemate with the pace of development I would like to for the third time try to bring focus back to this idea. Campfire Games can I possibly get the hurdles from a technical aspect that it would be to implement this idea? To summarize I'm suggesting add both factions to one unified drill camp map, and let us plan and hold our own open battles in that space. At this point I wouldn't even care if you can't add a point just open it up with both factions and call it a day. I realize this isn't something that your team wants but I think we can both agree that the game is a point where something must be done in the near future to keep the game relevant with it's targeted audience. I invite other members of the community who also think this is a good idea to show support and add to it. Thank you!

You at least owe me a canned response CG? Something like thanks for the suggestion but that’s not the direction we are taking the game. Meanwhile you have another post talking about your lack of communication and here is a perfect example of it.

The devs have expressed interest in a Cav vs Cav game mode and an Arty vs Arty game mode at some point. However I agree with devs that pulling personnel and resources away from primary content and optimization is not a good idea. These game modes take a back seat when compared with the slow March towards Historical Mode, the primary advertised mode of the game. Let's not get side tracked now.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    You at least owe me a canned response CG? Something like thanks for the suggestion but that’s not the direction we are taking the game. Meanwhile you have another post talking about your lack of communication and here is a perfect example of it.
    I have often thought that if you don't get a response from CFG from a posted idea or suggestion, that you are really close to have contributed something that they like or are already implementing. Then I go on to further assume, always dangerous, that they don't want to acknowledge the post because they have to work out how to implement it in such a way as to make it their own and fit it into their dev schedule. I try to see it like getting a big green tick, but without seeing the tick. Trying to keep it positive, but your right, it'd be good to see a response.

I've been looking forward to the 'Histocial Battles' mode since seeing the FR41 post. Bound to be a work in progress, hopefully less linear gameplay than the skirm zones, but I'm still eager to see HBs pushed out.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession