Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

Take some Rep, Redleader. Did what none of us wanted to do lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rbater View Post
    Just because companies are the majority of the player base now, doesn't mean they will be once more marketing is done for the game (which you all at CG definitely need to do more of imho).
    Companies wil always be the majority of this game, cause this game is about companies. They can change, they can die and reborn, but every single player seeks his company or try to establish one if he played at least about 50 hours. Random doesn't give such an experience that u get in company, nowdays...
    With best wishes from Russian community

I asked this before and you ignored but I just want to know. The million dollar question for you right now is why are you so sure that pubs will not play the game with pw servers implemented? Why do you think they wont just go to an open server? Your acting like there going to be scarred for life from seeing a locked server and never want to play the game again. Thats silly.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    I asked this before and you ignored but I just want to know. The million dollar question for you right now is why are you so sure that pubs will not play the game with pw servers implemented? Why do you think they wont just go to an open server? Your acting like there going to be scarred for life from seeing a locked server and never want to play the game again. Thats silly.
    Valid point Matt, I wasn't implying 'pubs' or regiments not interested in events will stop playing … I was implying it could lead to a parallel community where both parties show no interest in the other.

I'm convinced most pubbies would enjoy an event from time to time, we (II corps) tried last week to do a friendly 'regiment vs pubbies' but the server test had priority.

In some games people don't join a clan cause they don't have time or don't care for politics even if a game is build for raiding/group instances, sure the downside is its harder but you also meet other people (there's a lot of @holes out there, but also a lot of good people)
    Last edited by Redleader; 04-10-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    I'm sorry if I ignored you - there's been a lot of questions thrown my way the past 24 hours.

I'm not sure at all - that is why I presented the doubts we had to you all in this thread.

The issue is not seeing a locked server every now and again, the issue seeing the only populated server locked time and time again (again I'm in no way shape or form sure that is bound to happen but it must be accepted as a potential risk).

I can't go into specifics of the data review we're currently doing just yet as it is still on-going but it will help us better rule out one thing or the other and allow us to settle on a path forward from there.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Valid point Matt, I wasn't implying 'pubs' or regiments not interested in events will stop playing … I was implying it could lead to a parallel community where both parties show no interest in the other.

I'm convinced most pubbies would enjoy an event from time to time, we (II corps) tried last week to do a friendly 'regiment vs pubbies' but the server test had priority.

In some games people don't join a clan cause they don't have time or don't care for politics even if a game is build for raiding/group instances, sure the downside is its harder but you also meet other people (there's a lot of @holes out there, but also a lot of good people)
    Yeah. I get what you mean. My question was directed to Trusty though.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Rbater View Post
    Take some Rep, Redleader. Did what none of us wanted to do lol
    Sure but I'm still not fully convinced about any solutions.

The positive is more regiments 'working' together for events, sure there's still some 'bad blood' ... but it's way better then a while back.
    If the rest of the community (& devs) can work together to commodate most grief, I'm sure you can appease all (which is unachievable and should not be persued in full effort)
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post

@Trusty
    I'm sure you take a lot of heat as Lt.Col.Labelle tried to point out -> usually it comes down to players making suggestions -> thx for the suggestion -> nothing happens or something else gets done -> thread reopens/new thread -> more talking & some heat -> people might threaten to leave -> CG is sorry but they'll develop the game how they envision -> shit hits the fan -> pressure rises and Leifr/Kyle do overtime -> outcome : things change and/or some people stop playing.
    ---> I'm not saying this is standard modus operandi but this is how some experience it.

I'm sure it's tough for a smaller team to prioritize development and it's not afforded to waste time/resources in something which serves no goal in the long run, but also keep in mind some players here are also passionate and have shown enduring support for this project.

Players are just looking for some feedback what is being looked into, what will make it and not make it (for maybe given reasons).

Thank you for the excellent write-up of the reasons.

Having a big playerbase was never the main priority for us. Big enough to sustain the development of the alpha, sure, but we never aimed to create the next fortnight - we knew the game was for a niche audience.

I'm not sure how to respond to the 2nd bit. Yes stuff for the game is either developed based on our vision or the suggestions/ideas/feedback from the community. Idealy both.

- Trusty

Let's stop playing games, nobody is really against passwords for servers. It's a matter of timing for a feature (passwords) which 100% involves cashing in on development so far. There is not one ounce of doubt in my mind the ever-present danger of a game like this becoming purely event-centered and that would be awful so soon. And good God... Do you realize even the flag bearer system is SIX. Months. Old! It's not like this game is steamrolling towards it's climax any day now. The chances of major changes happening are 100% barring the total dissolution of human society and technology as we know it. Those game design changes need to be tested in an environment that tests them. Not with clans, companies, units, players, pubbers, whatever in a closed server effectively reenacting out of peer pressure.

Oh but it'll only be for a few hours a week - yeah, that'll be the only time people will play! I've seen it before, hell, I orchestrated it in my last game. Kinda hard to grow a community at all when large swaths of it resign themselves to a weekly time and place. We know you'll recruit from the public. I've seen that too! For what? Closed events? That's all well and good if the game is able to sustain itself well in open gameplay. But it's not. The very vigor of the some small segments of the PW movement demonstrates that point. You can threaten to leave but I promise you, you'll be replaced and your rank-and-file won't have to be.

You can play the gang-mentality all you want and pretend like this isn't the case. All you're doing is wasting everyone's time and stressing people out because you literally cannot handle the situation or so it's claimed.

Is this really the hill you want to die on? When I get rebuffed a tenth as strongly as this from authority, man I'm not gonna keep going at it the same angle. You think you're gonna get a 180 degree change this way? This is exactly what it's like trying to reason with people in a program for troubled youth. You can hate PLM all you want until your brain starts shutting down basic functions and you can no longer read my sentences logically but I promise you more people are getting a laugh out of this thread than are fuming about this since you don't even have to be registered to read here if you can.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Hello again everyone!

We've now been monitoring the daily gameplay actvity for several days after the, very vocal, community request in regards to adding password protected servers.

I'm happy to say that we are now feeling confident in adding this to the game in the near future - yes you read that right.

We've come to this conclusion after your requests kickstarted an internal investigation of just what kind of players are actually the ones that primarily keeps the game servers populated on a day to day basis. We have found that roughly 20-30 percent of daily players (in the weekdays) are company players while 80 to 70 percent are non company players.

Our biggest gripe/issue/doubt/fear with the introduction of password protected servers was the potential for its introduction to severely hurt our daily play activities, resulting in less new players joining the game, resulting in a downward spiral of the entire project.

Actually noting just how many non company players are out there, keeping the public servers alive each day compared to the percentage of company players has given us confidence in that bringing on password protected servers will only do minimal damage to the daily public activity at the very worst possible predicted outcome (an outcome where all company players exclusively play on locked servers).

Why did we not come to this conclusion much sooner you may ask - and it'd be a fair question indeed.

We have had internal discussions and doubts of passworded servers for as long as I can remember within the dev team. There are people for and against both things. I think the main reason for us to have tread as carefully as we have done in regards to implementing password protection is due to the fact that some of our community mentality is still rooted in the 2 year period pre early access we come from. A period where company events were the sole thing pushing the development and the community forward.

We never doubted that companies are a huge part of the game and so we did not even think to look at the actual statistics for the daily activity in regards to how many company members and how many non company members are playing. We just figured "companies are hugely important to us and the game - they were the only ones around during the last two years so naturally they dominate the playing field in terms of sheer numbers every single day on early access also".

Instead, it seems that the companies have actually already made much of the community split (which is natural being in a clan/company, wanting to organize and play as a team at event hours, etc) we dreaded and the game is still populated enough by mostly the public players in the off-event days.

Yes, I realize some of you will be facepalming right now - as would we if we thought us making this change in direction due to the data-backed elimination of the nr 1 issue we took with the prospect of passworded servers was something that would be hurting the game. Instead, we're happy to have come to this realization (better late than never) as we believe it is the best for the game and we will always stick to what we believe is the best for the game.

I'd like to thank the people engaging in a constructive way in this thread to get us to look into this. I, however, also regret the tone between myself and other community members getting as bad as it did - I would like to apologize for my part in making it so.

We currently have no ETA for when the feature will be available but I would be surprised if it'll take more than a few weeks at most.

- Trusty