Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

I don't know anything about refunds from steam (I never knew there were any such thing before December) but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people just wanted to try the game and could be back later when the price presumably lowers.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Passworded servers represent cashing in on the game to some extent at the expense of the community. I watched all these realism organizations lock themselves in their servers for years and do their own thing in RnL. They unlocked their servers alright, and a handful of them even played outside of those locked times. But by and large they scattered. Sure you can unpassword your server when you're done but your people will be gone, take that prediction to the bank. Locked servers encapsulate gameplay and enormous amounts of players won't take the time to play in open servers.
    I feel like you use this stick to beat us with far, far too often. 1st Texas, 6th LA, 1st Georgia, none of us are 'realism' units as you put it, all of us have our servers open ALL week as well. 1st Georgia would only password servers three times a week for a couple of hours, that's not going to split anyone or anything. We're not 'realism' we're not 'roleplay' we're just organised, your statement that nobody else organises events on open servers is also totally false, I know for a fact 1st Texas do, 1st Georgia are following suit as well. If you don't want to be in a Company that's your choice, if public players don't want to be in a Company that's their choice, more power to you. All we are doing is trying to keep the interest of the thousands of players who ARE in formed Companies alive, people who DO want organised gameplay. So please stop beating us with your 'you don't care about the public' stick, because apart from being totally untrue, it's also wearing really thin.

I watched a lot of YouTube video's in the days that followed the Steam launch, the content creators were out in force and covered the game extensively. Two statements were in almost all of their video's ''this game would be awesome if it was organised'' and ''I wish there was an officer to lead this'' It doesn't really alter facts when you champion the cause of public servers, because the fact is that when players are organised this game excels far beyond anything you see on public servers. I can't speak for the other Companies, but all 1st Georgia would disable is auto balance, and only because it's a major pain when trying to form sides. While we are on the subject of facts, here's an ugly one for you: If all a 'private' server is going to be is really a public one, that players pay for, then players are going to stop paying for them.

We're not fools, every single one of us is here because we want War of Rights to be a success, we'll keep testing, we'll keep reporting. 1st Georgia hold three Company events per week, so our servers would be private for around just six hours out of one hundred and sixty eight, that's not too much to ask surely?
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I feel like you use this stick to beat us with far, far too often. 1st Texas, 6th LA, 1st Georgia, none of us are 'realism' units as you put it, all of us have our servers open ALL week as well. 1st Georgia would only password servers three times a week for a couple of hours, that's not going to split anyone or anything. We're not 'realism' we're not 'roleplay' we're just organised, your statement that nobody else organises events on open servers is also totally false, I know for a fact 1st Texas do, 1st Georgia are following suit as well. If you don't want to be in a Company that's your choice, if public players don't want to be in a Company that's their choice, more power to you. All we are doing is trying to keep the interest of the thousands of players who ARE in formed Companies alive, people who DO want organised gameplay. So please stop beating us with your 'you don't care about the public' stick, because apart from being totally untrue, it's also wearing really thin.

I watched a lot of YouTube video's in the days that followed the Steam launch, the content creators were out in force and covered the game extensively. Two statements were in almost all of their video's ''this game would be awesome if it was organised'' and ''I wish there was an officer to lead this'' It doesn't really alter facts when you champion the cause of public servers, because the fact is that when players are organised this game excels far beyond anything you see on public servers. I can't speak for the other Companies, but all 1st Georgia would disable is auto balance, and only because it's a major pain when trying to form sides. While we are on the subject of facts, here's an ugly one for you: If all a 'private' server is going to be is really a public one, that players pay for, then players are going to stop paying for them.

We're not fools, every single one of us is here because we want War of Rights to be a success, we'll keep testing, we'll keep reporting. 1st Georgia hold three Company events per week, so our servers would be private for around just six hours out of one hundred and sixty eight, that's not too much to ask surely?
    PLM is of the idea he's better than us. That's all there is to it. He rarely plays but he believes the game needs to be tailored to him.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Who in their right mind would lock their server 24/7, Trusty? Literally nobody, because server traffic = recruitment.

And who in their right mind who be upset in the veteran player base when 95% of them are in units that want passworded servers for their events on the weekends?
    I never said they would be locked 24/7 - I said they run the risk of changing the behavior of a great deal of company members which then runs the risk of hurting the off-event hour play.

Not sure I understand your second question unless you are referring to my original issue 2) - I suspect most if not all would be upset to have a server password feature removed if it proved to cause overall harm to the playerbase numbers.

- Trusty

Please keep the discussion civil. Personal attacks offer no solution to anything.

- Trusty

People define success differently. I'd define it as not needing to join an organization to play. The standard 'organized' game is event-oriented because the games aren't made to compel organization. These games like M&B are basically like - "Here ya go, here's some weapons, have at it.". So it's not really feasible to enjoy outside of the controlled environment. You have to have organizations to have fun. The best game would be so seamless to organize in gameplay, and so thoroughly compel players to fill their proper roles that organizations would naturally flourish themselves. Not the other way around.

I could do a lot if I had the predictable server populations that ya'll have and reliable admin controls. It's just a headache without passwords, that's all. I'd rather just see the officer role become meaningful, which I'm sure it will. That all matters an enormous amount. A password sidesteps that instantaneously.

It's perfectly reasonable wanting passwords. I was surprised initially that there weren't. But once that cat is out of the bag, it ain't going back in.

Ugh, I should have finished my video yesterday and not waited to drop it in this atmosphere.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 03-07-2019 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I never said they would be locked 24/7 - I said they run the risk of changing the behavior of a great deal of company members which then runs the risk of hurting the off-event hour play.

Not sure I understand your second question unless you are referring to my original issue 2) - I suspect most if not all would be upset to have a server password feature removed if it proved to cause overall harm to the playerbase numbers.

- Trusty
    I understand you want to keep server populations high, but let me clue you in a little bit. This game only lives by the community and the community are the units. They are the ones bringing in new players to buy the game, instead of the random pubbie who tries the game for an hour and refunds within the hour.
    We want weekend events to be exclusive for a few hours with passworded servers so we can engage with other community units that pubbies will want to join up with and participate with.

In all honesty, your crusade against this topic is nonsensical from all angles. If you lose the community support, you can kiss your game goodbye forever. Because at some point we're just gonna realize we aren't valued or even wanted here and we'll move on to other competitors (BCOF or back to Warband for example).

I can tell you from personal experience that the arrogance of this dev team has put me off severely from even playing this game anymore, let alone recommending it to other players.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I too appreciate the input from you all.

You may call public play for a disaster which it might be compared to organized event play - but for the actual public players, public play offers a lot more teamplay than most are used to. We see the teamplay being mentioned as a huge plus over and over again in the positive reviews we are getting.

- Trusty
    I'm sure it is and it varies from match to match. Me and another guy played several rounds on Official 3 today and they were just bad. People tend to remember the bad times more than the good ones, and my concern is you will get a block of people that get tired of having bad matches and shelve the game to never come back to it. I mean I've played in some really great pub matches away from my unit where I had a lot of fun. It really depends on what your expectations are. In pub matches, my expectations are low because people wont listen to orders so I'm always surprised when we do well. I don't know that new players are going to come in with that mentality.

And as far as that goes, PLM touched on something that I think is another issue this game is facing. New players are coming in and sort of being dropped into the server with no clear idea of what they should be doing. I think that's what drives the mob mentality. They see a group of guys moving one way and the rest of them follow suit cause they don't know any better. I think some people buy the game not knowing what to expect, then they're kind of lost once they finally get into it.

Going back to passwords, you're going to make some people mad either way I don't see any way around that. Yes, the player base is smallish, but passworded servers are the norm as far as MP games go. I think most people expect it these days so I don't think it will cause as much of an issue as you might think. As long as there are open servers, I don't see people getting angry. I mean earlier today we were playing on a server that reset with 110 people on it. As soon as it went down everyone just piled into the next open server and it stayed populated the rest of the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by spacenavy90 View Post
    I understand you want to keep server populations high, but let me clue you in a little bit. This game only lives by the community and the community are the units. They are the ones bringing in new players to buy the game, instead of the random pubbie who tries the game for an hour and refunds within the hour.
    We want weekend events to be exclusive for a few hours with passworded servers so we can engage with other community units that pubbies will want to join up with and participate with.

In all honesty, your crusade against this topic is nonsensical from all angles. If you lose the community support, you can kiss your game goodbye forever. Because at some point we're just gonna realize we aren't valued or even wanted here and we'll move on to other competitors (BCOF or back to Warband for example).

I can tell you from personal experience that the arrogance of this dev team has put me off severely from even playing this game anymore, let alone recommending it to other players.
    Thank you for the feedback.

I have no crusade against this.

The units are an important part of the community - but so are the non-company players.

I'm sorry you find the dev team to be arrogant.

- Trusty

If the refund thing is widespread among games like this, no doubt it changes the way people make purchasing decisions. This is a generation after all that has effectively ended the shopping mall. Our local one just got bulldozed.

I really liked this third-party-plugin I used in the past on the Source engine where a player who connected and got into the game had to press 1 to agree or 2 to disagree (and be insta-kicked) to a list of rules.

I really challenge the conventional ways people are used to things. Tutorials should be mandatory, but that's a pipe dream. Any arrogance you see in a place like this doesn't even come close to touching the arrogance of the throngs of players who just go straight into a game and have no idea what they're doing taking critical roles. One aught to know how to open the menu and check their controls. It goes for any game, you see it all the time. IMO a mandatory training would be impossible but I think it should be standard for any server you join in any game that you have to agree to the rules to be there.

When I say "Message of the Day" I'm thinking of a system where you join a server and the first page you see is a screen which could maybe be an embedded HTML page or just some page coded in HTML or something where the server owner can put rules, announcements or whatever. An easy way of putting out information that everyone sees. Then you should have to hit "Agree." The autokick (for being AFK) should apply to that as well. Just getting people to see that might help, even though many will grow to just skip through it as fast as they can. Ideally it would have a server-side setting where the "Agree" button only becomes activated after a set number of seconds leaving the connector with nothing better to do for 5 seconds than read about any upcoming events you're trying to advertise.

Steam groups used to be a great way to network but Steam utterly neutered them a year ago last August by requiring friendship to invite. So something like that is even more critical to get info out.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 03-07-2019 at 04:35 AM.