Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Nope not in terms of income at least.

The main reason is the easy auto updating backend they have for all of their game servers - they call it the cloud service.

Once we release a steam update all servers will automatically update to the latest server version and restart themselves.

This is a hugely important feature as we sometimes release several server side hotfixes within a single day.

- Trusty
    Show your supporters that you give a crap about their opinions and give them server passwords. It's not a chain reaction event....doing this wont mean you are a pushover, it wont mean that we can make you do anything we want...what it WILL mean is that you are cognizant of an issue and are fixing it in a way that paying customers find functional and effective.

Admitting you are wrong will GAIN you respect...not LOSE it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMerritt View Post
    Oh we know that, its like Epic getting exclusive access to games. G-Portal has first dibs and im sure are hosting the Official servers for free. There fore a kickback in one form or another.
    They will never admit to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    They wont budge and their game will die because of it. The only thing keeping War of Rights afloat right now is its the only FPS civil war game currently. I would hate to see this game die because the devs are bullheaded and lose all their players to BCoF whenever that comes out
    Exactly!
    Last edited by F. L. Villarreal; 04-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Yeah sorry Trusty, alot of other legitimate hosts do the same thing. We have auto updaters setup and running for our DayZ server, Arma 3 server, and Ark server. No need to worry about a human handling it. And that is for a personal box. So dont give me the dog and pony show about them being so much better a solution for hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMerritt View Post
    Yeah sorry Trusty, alot of other legitimate hosts do the same thing. We have auto updaters setup and running for our DayZ server, Arma 3 server, and Ark server. No need to worry about a human handling it. And that is for a personal box. So dont give me the dog and pony show about them being so much better a solution for hosting.
    I'm not. I'm just saying they offer what we need to be able to keep the alpha running at a steady pace.

I'm sure plenty others do the same.

- Trusty

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Nope not in terms of income at least.

The main reason is the easy auto updating backend they have for all of their game servers - they call it the cloud service.

Once we release a steam update all servers will automatically update to the latest server version and restart themselves.

This is a hugely important feature as we sometimes release several server side hotfixes within a single day.

- Trusty
    Thats not the point, the point is that two of your biggest supporting units....1st Texas and 4th NJ are asking you for something reasonable. But you are more concerned with losing $$$$ because of empty servers. Those servers will be empty anyways once it gets out on steam that you are speaking to your supporters this way and refusing to listen to ANY if not ALL suggestions.

Thats how I know this is a money grab...this game will never be finished. nor will any of our tier prizes be mailed to us.

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    Thats not the point, the point is that two of your biggest supporting units....1st Texas and 4th NJ are asking you for something reasonable. But you are more concerned with losing $$$$ because of empty servers. Those servers will be empty anyways once it gets out on steam that you are speaking to your supporters this way and refusing to listen to ANY if not ALL suggestions.
    You mean I'm engaging in an honest discussion with them?

Don't give me that please. My main concern for the past 7 years has been WoR. I don't care how much or how little money we make all I care about is the game progressing.

I know you think me a scammer already so I'm not going to be wasting more time communicating with you as I, frankly, do not deserve to be treated as such when I try to explain to you our reasonings for not featuring password protected servers.

Do you think I take enjoyment out of being the center of this much negative attention?

It ruins my day each time it happens but I find it to be worth it because I believe in the project of WoR.

- Trusty

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

You mean I'm engaging in an honest discussion with them?

Don't give me that please. My main concern for the past 7 years has been WoR. I don't care how much or how little money we make all I care about is the game progressing.

I know you think me a scammer already so I'm not going to be wasting more time communicating with you as I, frankly, do not deserve to be treated as such when I try to explain to you our reasonings for not featuring password protected servers.

Do you think I take enjoyment out of being the center of this much negative attention?

It ruins my day each time it happens but I find it to be worth it because I believe in the project of WoR.

- Trusty
    You don't have to engage me...thats a choice. If this is about passion then show your supporters compassion and give the ones who have gone the extra mile to PAY for a server, the option to lock it. It's not an honest discussion when all of your replies are always "stonewalling" people making good, honest suggestions that would actually help.

Nobody is asking you to change the historical context or aesthetics....we are asking for server passwords to keep toxic pubs out of organized drills and events.

The most tragic thing about all of this is that I know a good amount of people on here....all of them ask me why I left. I tell them it was due to the developers stonewalling and not taking any suggestions to heart/serious. A part of me wanted to be wrong....so when I came here to check on the progress of the game. This is what I stumbled upon. I was actually right...as much as I did not want to be.

CSA Captain

Alright, I've gone and taken something to get my edge down so I'm not about to start ripping apart throats.

If you want a suggestion instead of a snarky reply from me then fine. Give a Password Server system a chance. Yes, the community is small right now. We're all in Alpha. Did Mount & Musket back when it was a MOD have as large of a community? Probably similar. They used a password system included in Warband and they did just fine. So fine in fact that Taleworlds made Napoleonic Wars and built the whole thing up as DLC. Did it start small? Yes it did. It had both private and public servers with event times that didn't hamper anything. NW is still popular today and I can promise you until things like Holdfast fix certain issues it will be king. Mods for that DLC came in the form of many things, predominantly North and South, which is where I was introduced to War of Rights. Did it have a massive following like WOR does? No, it didn't. It grew. It used the same password system the last three items I've listed have and they all turned out just fine.

I've listed these games, (Mount & Musket, Napoleonic Wars, and North & South) because I'm going to take a limb and say that the vast majority of players that backed this game came from those games before. This game is niche, not everyone is gonna want to battle in line formation and march under the thunder of artillery. But I do, and so does everyone else in this game that I know of. We're a passionate bunch. This is why this issue has caused a lot of flak from us Veteran players.

Trusty, I respect you as a person because that is how I was raised by my Momma and I intend to be that way until I pass away on some godforsaken day far in the future. This comes from my heart as a historical gamer that if passwords worked for the last three games that have been staples of this platfrom and continue to work to this day. I do not see where it would hurt our community. I understand you are absolutely terrified of you and your colleagues game, you baby basically, to die because the community severed itself. It's already severing itself because of the lack of connection between the devs and us. I don't want this game to die any more than you all do but it is going to unless something is done.

Either find a middle ground like previously suggested through locking officers and NCOs or just turn on the ability to lock servers and watch as your community does what it does. I doubt the average "game for a few hours because I'm bored" will care that there is one or two full locked servers and a couple unlocked ones with less people. What it will do is click in their mind and say "Let's go stock up an open server" and they will join the next highest one. Multiply this every couple of people every couple of minutes and you will get what you desire from this. A successful game. If it worked for Mount & MUsket, NW, and N&S it will work for us.

Give the community a chance, trust us even a little. We entrusted you to carry this game out and funded you. We should at least be able to be trusted to run the game we damn well paid for.

CSA Major

If folk could tame it down for the next ten hours or so, that would be fab. Both sides have butted heads a little too much tonight, it should be fairly evident that passwords are a contentious issue. Let it rest for the evening and attend to this again tomorrow when tempers have cooled off - maybe there can be some reconciliation in some way.

I’m off to bed. Thread will remain open in the mean time, take it easy.

(PS - JammedHam... Good post, clear and respectful!)

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by JammedHam View Post
    Alright, I've gone and taken something to get my edge down so I'm not about to start ripping apart throats.

If you want a suggestion instead of a snarky reply from me then fine. Give a Password Server system a chance. Yes, the community is small right now. We're all in Alpha. Did Mount & Musket back when it was a MOD have as large of a community? Probably similar. They used a password system included in Warband and they did just fine. So fine in fact that Taleworlds made Napoleonic Wars and built the whole thing up as DLC. Did it start small? Yes it did. It had both private and public servers with event times that didn't hamper anything. NW is still popular today and I can promise you until things like Holdfast fix certain issues it will be king. Mods for that DLC came in the form of many things, predominantly North and South, which is where I was introduced to War of Rights. Did it have a massive following like WOR does? No, it didn't. It grew. It used the same password system the last three items I've listed have and they all turned out just fine.

I've listed these games, (Mount & Musket, Napoleonic Wars, and North & South) because I'm going to take a limb and say that the vast majority of players that backed this game came from those games before. This game is niche, not everyone is gonna want to battle in line formation and march under the thunder of artillery. But I do, and so does everyone else in this game that I know of. We're a passionate bunch. This is why this issue has caused a lot of flak from us Veteran players.

Trusty, I respect you as a person because that is how I was raised by my Momma and I intend to be that way until I pass away on some godforsaken day far in the future. This comes from my heart as a historical gamer that if passwords worked for the last three games that have been staples of this platfrom and continue to work to this day. I do not see where it would hurt our community. I understand you are absolutely terrified of you and your colleagues game, you baby basically, to die because the community severed itself. It's already severing itself because of the lack of connection between the devs and us. I don't want this game to die any more than you all do but it is going to unless something is done.

Either find a middle ground like previously suggested through locking officers and NCOs or just turn on the ability to lock servers and watch as your community does what it does. I doubt the average "game for a few hours because I'm bored" will care that there is one or two full locked servers and a couple unlocked ones with less people. What it will do is click in their mind and say "Let's go stock up an open server" and they will join the next highest one. Multiply this every couple of people every couple of minutes and you will get what you desire from this. A successful game. If it worked for Mount & MUsket, NW, and N&S it will work for us.

Give the community a chance, trust us even a little. We entrusted you to carry this game out and funded you. We should at least be able to be trusted to run the game we damn well paid for.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for this.

The issue is not the time required to implement password protected servers.

The issue is the division of the community, the increased chance of no available populated servers to join for newcommers to the game and the introduction of artificial feedback given by those that exclusively play behind locked doors.

Yes, it is annoying having to kick/ban unwanted players if one feels said unwanted players disrupt one's event but I don't think that annoyance outweighs the possible issues listed above.

- Trusty
    I mean you act like you have 1000's of players playing everyday, in reality, every day you get one whole server that fills up with regiment players and pub players. Passwords on regiment servers isn't going to change that, regiments aren't just going to hop on their locked servers everyday because who is playing them. The reason for the locked server is so regiments can set up official events between one another and get all their players on the server. Events are only going to happen weekly maybe more, but for most of the time, the same thing is going to happen as usual, everyone is going to hop on one server like an official one and play together. I also believe not every regiment is going to lock all their servers, I'm sure only event servers will be locked and some people may just have a non locked recruitment server that people can play on.