Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

USA General of the Army

Server Passwords

I feel like I need to ask this question because its never been adequately answered. When are we going to be able to password protect servers?

We have an issue now when it comes to organized weekends events, and it has steadily gotten worse. Its not just pubbies but other units gate crashing events, stealing officer positions and generally disorganizing scheduled unit events.

Let me be clear, we are not trying to lock out pubbies from day to day play. We are trying to make the events we have fun for members of our units. It is very hard to do that when some of our own people can't join our server because pubbies or other units that weren't invited are snatching up slots.

I know we aren't the only unit wanting this so I want to know at what point are we going to get passwords. We shouldn't have to spend a half an hour hunting down and kicking people that aren't part of an event or taking our officer spots.

Yeah it has to be done. If the game is going to be designed as a game where companies can form up and play against other companies than there needs to be an ability to lock things up when it gets serious.

Not to mention the fact that people/units pay for this service from a host provider thus making it their property and they have the right to decide who comes and goes from said server. I agree with the OP that you shouldn't just lock everyone out but if someone is trying to do training, organize a video recording, or the many events setup by the community then they should have that right.

USA General of the Army

Just to be clear, I don't think most units are going to have them locked all the time. Its mainly to keep control during the weekend events.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    I feel like I need to ask this question because its never been adequately answered. When are we going to be able to password protect servers?

We have an issue now when it comes to organized weekends events, and it has steadily gotten worse. Its not just pubbies but other units gate crashing events, stealing officer positions and generally disorganizing scheduled unit events.

Let me be clear, we are not trying to lock out pubbies from day to day play. We are trying to make the events we have fun for members of our units. It is very hard to do that when some of our own people can't join our server because pubbies or other units that weren't invited are snatching up slots.

I know we aren't the only unit wanting this so I want to know at what point are we going to get passwords. We shouldn't have to spend a half an hour hunting down and kicking people that aren't part of an event or taking our officer spots.
    +100 this needs to happen sooner than later.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    We have the same problem, it's a problem all the way through any event night, & I'm positive it's having a negative impact on public players because we're having to kick them from servers. We'd also like to disable team balanicing but that's not working either.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Exactly. There is of course many reasons why never allowing pubbies on your server is a bad idea. Since you need to actually have pubbies on your server to recruit. It is simply for the sake of keeping the game competitive when it comes time.

My CO was executed by a pub, mid event....

Good times, good times

CSA Captain

Not having passwords is fracturing the player base far worse than having them would.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Thank you all for the feedback.

The main issue we're facing is we haven't found a way to properly test password protected servers in a way that will:

1) Ensure we're not killing the daily playerbase by splitting said playerbase with a large percentage of it playing behind locked doors. Weekly events are important to us but so is the daily open activities as they are the ones new players will see/experience. No new players = no income = dead game (at least if there are no new players for a long while).
    2) Ensure we're not pissing off our veteran players in companies if a split of the daily playerbase indeed does happen when we then revert back to no password protected servers.

Any suggestions to the two issues above are very welcome.

We wouldn't be as hesitant if we had a bigger daily playerbase that could absorb such a split - we're very much aware it is high on your wishlist.

- Trusty