Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

USA General of the Army

Its not happening now so I don't know what crystal ball you're looking in to say it has the potential to be a problem in the future. Pubbies are getting kicked out of private servers during events as it stands and they aren't thinly spread among the remaining servers. So I don't know where you're getting you're ideas from.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    "The publics" dont exist, there are people loving playing with regiments and people who dont, there are members of regiments helping public players and member who dont, there are public players behaving like monkey and members of regiments....I really dont get why you guys try to separate a community so hard. Just as a side note

Personally I am totally fine with having servers with passwords, like for events or trainings....thats pretty normal to be honest.
    Publics would be a correct term to describe that crowd. People who only like playing in public servers, people who reject the company tool structure that goes hand in hand with the game and dont mind playing with just random people who may or may not know how to play the game, people who want all servers "publicly" open to everyone. It is not meant to be derogatory, it just contradicts the established system of forming companies and playing against other companies which is exactly what people who are getting their own servers are paying for. But it is incredibly frustrating when we do not get it because they believe for no good reason it would destroy the game. This is not meant to sound mean spirited, but I want to be blunt.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    It is not meant to be derogatory, it just contradicts the established system of forming companies and playing against other companies which is exactly what people who are getting their own servers are paying for.
    Yes, Yes and Yes again!

Itīs the servers the Companys pay for so its up to them if they use a password or not.

Like a other post before if you get a car or other tool you can use it aswell as YOU like not others.

I’ll go back to one of my very first posts in the forum a couple summers ago and restate the same point I’ve already stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I don't want a game where you have to join a unit and agree to certain rules to have proper Civil War combat, I want one where you engage in something resembling proper Civil War combat because it works in the game
    It's what I call the great trap of realism games and it's business as usual. Most everyone has a common concept of how the game should be played but the development usually stops short of doing what it needs to do to present that. The community then is forced to relegate the game to closed server events where people mutually agree to play the game the way it's supposed to be played at least up to a point (which will always cause conflict and splintering).

It’s not that we'll destroy the community by making passworded 'realisms', it’s that the community will be destroyed because we need private realisms. It's the cob webs on the unlocked servers and the mentality of "I can't wait for the next realism but there's no point in playing until then." I think a lot of people know this to be true. I for one don't choose to accept it as a healthy natural state to a game.

WoR has years ahead of it either way but those years will be exponentially more prosperous if the game is made to strongly compel something very close to the style of play without requiring the following of written 'rules' and peer pressure. That's not easy but I don't think it's impossible nor do I think that closed server events won't ever be a big thing. Nothing is going to beat the banhammer as a deterrent on following orders, but the banhammer is not unbiased or omnipresent. The game needs to be the invisible hand that guides the behavior of the players, not an overseer with a whip. The reality of where gameplay stands will never come in to focus clearly if normal players join the game and then either leave because the public gameplay is sub-par or get absorbed into the password-protected community.

There’s a tendency to pussy-foot it in games with restrictive features which are not mainstream. There was a point in my realism game life where people argued and argued about needing crosshairs believe it or not. The no death-messages. The no individual score. They're all still radical concepts. If you don't believe me just look at some of the complaints about them here and on the steam discussion boards. The formation restrictions in picket patrol are radical (I don't like them btw). Things can be done and they all serve a purpose. Suppression is still relatively radical and if it was harder to recover from it'd be even more radical and more of an incentive. I don't think players should be out on their own and fully recover from suppression thirty seconds after 190 bullets fly over their head. I definitely did that in the 200 person test last weekend, though I was technically in 'skirmish' with a few others. 99smoke.gif The officer questions are really hard. And you need to have some sort of leadership to play right. That's a big piece of the puzzle missing from the beginning. Honestly public players do look for leadership and do look to lead. And people will follow them. They're just being let down by the way the officer role is seized.

When you don't need PW'd servers anymore, that's when you really need them. Because development is done then.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 04-05-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

We need password protected servers the time has come. It is nearly impossible organize an event with a select group without pubs and other groups interfering taking officer spots, and not cooperating. We don't want to totally lock down our server 24/7 just when we have an event that requires specific set of rules be followed. Charging over $100 a month for a server that offers little control is down right highway robbery. In the current state the quality of events is a crap shoot and most times leaves the units involved feeling unfulfilled. After every event I receive the predictable messages from both Union and Reb units saying "well that was a total shit show" , "the pubs ruined the event" or " abc unit jumped into the event and didn't follow the rules and took officer spots." It's the same thing every week and it's getting old.

If this game is truly geared toward companies then CG needs to really focus on giving us the tools to make our events organized instead of the mob rule that currently prevails. Suggestions, maybe allow a server to be locked for 3 hours every 24 hours, make special classes Officer,NCO,Flag bearer only selectable using a predetermined key set by the server owner, allow us to, give 5 minute planning time before match starts, adding more Officer spots so our groups can actually represent their roles and finally I suggest a special mode that is built for organized events that enables the options I've listed above while keeping standard skirmish mode for the casual player.

Many people are getting burnt out playing WoR and multiple people have said I'm taking a break until BCoF comes out. This isn't a good sign for WoR and I sure hope this doesn't keep happening because we want this game to succeed, but we need to work together to make things better for "Organized" events.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    We need password protected servers the time has come. It is nearly impossible organize an event with a select group without pubs and other groups interfering taking officer spots, and not cooperating. We don't want to totally lock down our server 24/7 just when we have an event that requires specific set of rules be followed. Charging over $100 a month for a server that offers little control is down right highway robbery. In the current state the quality of events is a crap shoot and most times leaves the units involved feeling unfulfilled. After every event I receive the predictable messages from both Union and Reb units saying "well that was a total shit show" , "the pubs ruined the event" or " abc unit jumped into the event and didn't follow the rules and took officer spots." It's the same thing every week and it's getting old.

If this game is truly geared toward companies then CG needs to really focus on giving us the tools to make our events organized instead of the mob rule that currently prevails. Suggestions, maybe allow a server to be locked for 3 hours every 24 hours, make special classes Officer,NCO,Flag bearer only selectable using a predetermined key set by the server owner, allow us to, give 5 minute planning time before match starts, adding more Officer spots so our groups can actually represent their roles and finally I suggest a special mode that is built for organized events that enables the options I've listed above while keeping standard skirmish mode for the casual player.

Many people are getting burnt out playing WoR and multiple people have said I'm taking a break until BCoF comes out. This isn't a good sign for WoR and I sure hope this doesn't keep happening because we want this game to succeed, but we need to work together to make things better for "Organized" events.
    Thanks for that, i agree, same here we are making no events until PW server aswell........beacuse its just useless

My unit still holds events but for now we have to factor in pubs. Which is incredibly annoying. Beyond frustrating to always be working to improve your skills and strategies in game for it to be offset by randomness and players unwilling to take the game seriously.

Sometimes we prepare for weeks. Organizers spend a lot of money to keep empty servers for 150 slots for games. And after all this manipulation of the planned battle with certain players, we see complete shit. No one adheres to any guidelines and does not want to cooperate. And you're looking at it all. On lags and crashes. Constant problems with joining your friends. You really think, and what the hell is so difficult to do such a simple thing as a password for the server? Your God soul. People pay money and can't get such a simple thing as a password. YES, WE WANT TO PLAY SEPARATELY. Because we like to play without "Fucking Russians" every minute and killing officers because it's funny. Did you guys just fuck?

I don't want to hear excuses. People who come to this game stay in it less if they don't join the regiment. Why is it so hard to understand? When there are so many vivid examples. At least "ancestor" Napoleonic Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by SUWAROW View Post
    Sometimes we prepare for weeks. Organizers spend a lot of money to keep empty servers for 150 slots for games. And after all this manipulation of the planned battle with certain players, we see complete shit. No one adheres to any guidelines and does not want to cooperate. And you're looking at it all. On lags and crashes. Constant problems with joining your friends. You really think, and what the hell is so difficult to do such a simple thing as a password for the server? Your God soul. People pay money and can't get such a simple thing as a password. YES, WE WANT TO PLAY SEPARATELY. Because we like to play without "Fucking Russians" every minute and killing officers because it's funny. Did you guys just fuck?

I don't want to hear excuses. People who come to this game stay in it less if they don't join the regiment. Why is it so hard to understand? When there are so many vivid examples. At least "ancestor" Napoleonic Wars.
    ^^^^^