Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpytoo View Post
    I usually only see one server at a time with any players in it, so I always choose that one. And if I can't join a private event (and again, I am not against people who pay for servers having their own private event, they certainly should be able to say who is invited and who is not) ...there really isn't anything to do...the player population is just not big enough for another skirmish to be happening at the same time , at least in my experience.
    I believe this to be the reason why it's not ideal to have passwords atm. In my month and change of owning the game, I've only ever seen two servers with 120-full player count going simultaneously, and both were event servers. All other servers at that time had no people on or were drill camps. The hypothetical situation being that if both had passwords, pubs would basically not play. As a pub myself, I'm more inclined to join a populated server. I don't want to have to wait for a server to have the slim possibility of being filled. Now the two server simultaneously was just once. Normally I only ever see one populated server. Again, if that was passworded and locked, pubs wouldn't care to play and would play another game in their library. As Grumpy said, there just is not big enough of a player base for the game to justify it at this given moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbater View Post
    I believe this to be the reason why it's not ideal to have passwords atm. In my month and change of owning the game, I've only ever seen two servers with 120-full player count going simultaneously, and both were event servers. All other servers at that time had no people on or were drill camps. The hypothetical situation being that if both had passwords, pubs would basically not play. As a pub myself, I'm more inclined to join a populated server. I don't want to have to wait for a server to have the slim possibility of being filled. Now the two server simultaneously was just once. Normally I only ever see one populated server. Again, if that was passworded and locked, pubs wouldn't care to play and would play another game in their library. As Grumpy said, there just is not big enough of a player base for the game to justify it at this given moment.
    But the rebuttal to that is the only reason those servers are filled is that the specific regiments are logging on for a event. When that event is over most log off so the numbers really don't matter except for those few games for the event. If anything I've seen less regimental players logging on even for events so as to not have to put up with headaches that might occur. This problem is especially frustrating for smaller regiments that wish to have a match or 2 against similar sized regiments from what I've been told.

Again I don't think anyone is trying to bash the good public players that are out there especially since there are some "regimental" players that are just as toxic as some of the worst pub players but having to police both sides can become a big chore at times and takes 2 players out of the game that would probably rather play.

If passwords were to take effect the regiments would be able to invite in who they like. I know both pubs and regimental players I would invite or not invite so i would caution people into turning this into a pub vs regiment player thing. Both sides have great and shitty players, it should be up to the specific renters of the server to allow or not allow players in regardless if they have digital tags in front of their name or not

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
    But the rebuttal to that is the only reason those servers are filled is that the specific regiments are logging on for an event.
    In my experience, I'm usually on when event times have either been over or haven't started (going off the basis of the 1st Texas events being at 8pm est).

I also see and hear your other points, but I feel like a better solution would to have positions like COs, NCOs, and Flag Bearers have passwords to lock them instead of the servers themselves. There should also be the ability to permanently ban players from the server (I believe there already is?) if they are that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
    having to police both sides can become a big chore at times and takes 2 players out of the game that would probably rather play.
    Again, I completely understand this. Maybe there should be a system like the Battlefield server rentals where you could kick/ban people from the player menu, and that would apply for admins being able to do so for both sides from any team. It would maybe notify the admins of say 2 or 3 TKs? That way it wouldn't take up so much time for the server admin, and allow them to play the game.

I'm also against turning this into a pub vs regiment player thing, but I just want to offer solutions that are outside of the arguments of passworded server vs not being the end-all-be-all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbater View Post
    In my experience, I'm usually on when event times have either been over or haven't started (going off the basis of the 1st Texas events being at 8pm est).

I also see and hear your other points, but I feel like a better solution would to have positions like COs, NCOs, and Flag Bearers have passwords to lock them instead of the servers themselves. There should also be the ability to permanently ban players from the server (I believe there already is?) if they are that bad.

Again, I completely understand this. Maybe there should be a system like the Battlefield server rentals where you could kick/ban people from the player menu, and that would apply for admins being able to do so for both sides from any team. It would maybe notify the admins of say 2 or 3 TKs? That way it wouldn't take up so much time for the server admin, and allow them to play the game.

I'm also against turning this into a pub vs regiment player thing, but I just want to offer solutions that are outside of the arguments of passworded server vs not being the end-all-be-all.
    Yes, there are now two admin tools that allow for kicking/banning.

Server admins see all TK's done.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    You're welcome.

Just because I choose to not answer every piece of feedback here it doesn't mean that I'm not reading nor discussing said feedback with the team.

If you do not think it worth it to rent a server when comparing price (of which we gain nothing - that is all g-portal's earnings) and current features then do not rent a server. We have official servers available for this exact reason.

We are not stonewalling the community. We are very well aware that passworded servers is a much requested feature by a large portion of the community.

- Trusty
    Not a feature it's already built into the engine and could probably be enabled in 30 minutes. Try it for a week wort case it doesn't work and you can disable it but if it works your community will be happy.
    Last edited by TRaider; 04-08-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    Not a feature it's already built into the engine and could probably be enabled in 30 minutes.
    It's not about how much time it would take to implement. It's about the effects of implementing it.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    It's not about how much time it would take to implement. It's about the effects of implementing it.

- Trusty
    Totally agree with you that is why I would suggest testing it for a week and put out announcement before hand so everyone knows what it going on.

I think that if you have to pay a large sum of money for a server each month, you should be able to decide if you have passwords or not. And the issue with people who want to join but cannot is easily fixed, knowing that these events will only have regiments on them, there are still the official servers which would be populated with all the pubs playing the game as all the regimental players would be eventing or on public play (on an open server). The server wouldn't always be locked, and most of the time it would be open with announcements for when an event is going to take place and which pub server is most populated. It is very simple if you think about it.

The problem today is that devs think, that there is not enough players are in game, so, pub servers won't get enough players to give them true ingame emotes. Its understood. But then to make peace between casuals and regiments give to the last mechanics to let them play the "open" event. NCO's and CO's reserv pass (been said), ability to change numbers of them to clearly present command staff in battle, give the mechanic for regiment staff to have priority to join the event they make ( its really bad, when ure friends can't join the event they orginized cause its already full of pub players) and so on, in general, we need the mechanics that allow us to make an organized!!! event, not just another random battle. Its hard to do now, its understood too, so the best conclusion still is passwords for private servers for about 2-3 hours a week... Sorry for my english, if I made mistakes. With best wishes from russian community.

Just wanted to say plus one for this idea. The company I'm with is huge about public engagement and recruitment, but there are special events when we really wish we could restrict things to just us and the companies we've invited. If pubs can't join our server we are losing potential recruits, that alone would keep us from running with a password 24/7 and we'd only use it when it meets some pretty stringent requirements.