Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

One of my CO colleague got just random killed by a pub whit a officer class

so please add it or just i dont now fix it

Keep up not having a password protection options or at least assigning teams there won't be events, regiments/companies die and you get a worse circumstance.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback.

The main issue we're facing is we haven't found a way to properly test password protected servers in a way that will:

1) Ensure we're not killing the daily playerbase by splitting said playerbase with a large percentage of it playing behind locked doors. Weekly events are important to us but so is the daily open activities as they are the ones new players will see/experience. No new players = no income = dead game (at least if there are no new players for a long while).
    2) Ensure we're not pissing off our veteran players in companies if a split of the daily playerbase indeed does happen when we then revert back to no password protected servers.

Any suggestions to the two issues above are very welcome.

- Trusty
    We are well aware the 'password protection' might be an issue, for following reason :

+ Only those allowed (certain regiments) for the event will be given acces (WORKS AS INTENTED)
    - Other players won't be able join the server, probably not even for balancing purposes ?

Prob : What happens now -> usually 'new players/non reg's' get kicked during events to make room -< can imagine that ain't fun and it's sloppy.
    Solution : Having somewhat higher player cap, but this would also imply regiments check numbers and coordinate events (officers chat usually)
    Solution : Reserved slots (sometimes officers/NCO's crash… and they can't get back on … not saying I want to say these are so important, but most want to play alongside their unit)
    Solution : Having multiple events at the same time (two would suffice for the current playerbase)
    Prob : Lately Union was scarse to spread over two servers (Union has more 'smaller' companies, while CSA has some bigger companies), which unbalances that side on multiple accounts.

On the other hand : if some event is on and some regs and new players/non regs can't get on, they might fill a new server.

-> Think the community has to come to some sort of gentlemen's agreement here, to support the 'new players' while giving them means to having some good events.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

The problem is that the "veteran community" is going to get mad and leave if you do not do something to pw protect servers. They are the ones growing the community by recruiting for their units, organizing events, streaming games, making videos etc....

To fix the issue of getting new players the answer is to continue developing the game and adding in more content. Possible customization options for each person that is saved to a database be it either a global one or local per each server. Provide players with more options of play not just the same mode of king of the hill. Historical accuracy is a great thing to strive for, but in the mean time put in a capture the flag where you can capture the other sides flags and it will slowly drain their tickets quicker. Give them more and more will follow. Right now the game is too shallow and focused to a have a larger appeal.

To the issue with locked servers give a few of the larger units and trusted outfits access to those tools. If they are abused then remove the option. However if proven to not "divide" the community unfairly then allow the units/server owners to kept that functionality. The alternative to this option is to finish the Company tool to reserve officer slots for registered officers, NCOs for NCOs, and then color bearer and private for pubbies and lower ranks. You have one option that is easy as it is already built into cryengine and most server providers can help enable this. The other is to develop in house a tool from the ground up that again hearkens back to a global database as I mentioned earlier in this post.

Love the game and where it is going but with your small team it is not getting there fast enough for the current generations attention span. Either speed up or open up easy options to allow the community to police and entertain itself until you can provide the content you want to provide in the timeframe you are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    The problem is that the "veteran community" is going to get mad and leave if you do not do something to pw protect servers. They are the ones growing the community by recruiting for their units, organizing events, streaming games, making videos etc....
    I'm not going to go too much into that discussion here, but promotional videos do little good for the game if all that new players find when they enter the game is locked servers with a requirement to join a company just to play the game. In short, organized groups as well as unorganized daily activity on the open servers are both a requirement to grow the community.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMerritt View Post
    To fix the issue of getting new players the answer is to continue developing the game and adding in more content. Possible customization options for each person that is saved to a database be it either a global one or local per each server. Provide players with more options of play not just the same mode of king of the hill. Historical accuracy is a great thing to strive for, but in the mean time put in a capture the flag where you can capture the other sides flags and it will slowly drain their tickets quicker. Give them more and more will follow. Right now the game is too shallow and focused to a have a larger appeal.

To the issue with locked servers give a few of the larger units and trusted outfits access to those tools. If they are abused then remove the option. However if proven to not "divide" the community unfairly then allow the units/server owners to kept that functionality. The alternative to this option is to finish the Company tool to reserve officer slots for registered officers, NCOs for NCOs, and then color bearer and private for pubbies and lower ranks. You have one option that is easy as it is already built into cryengine and most server providers can help enable this. The other is to develop in house a tool from the ground up that again hearkens back to a global database as I mentioned earlier in this post.

Love the game and where it is going but with your small team it is not getting there fast enough for the current generations attention span. Either speed up or open up easy options to allow the community to police and entertain itself until you can provide the content you want to provide in the timeframe you are comfortable with.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, a limited test such as that might be the correct path forward. The test might be problematic if the actual testers with the ability to lock their server want the feature to be a thing for everybody however which will only require them to keep up their numbers on daily free and open servers while also only having locked their server during event hours.

There is currently a new game mode in development as several veterans have been quite vocal about them tiring of skirmishes (which is understandable after these several years of alpha).

- Trusty

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback.

The main issue we're facing is we haven't found a way to properly test password protected servers in a way that will:

1) Ensure we're not killing the daily playerbase by splitting said playerbase with a large percentage of it playing behind locked doors. Weekly events are important to us but so is the daily open activities as they are the ones new players will see/experience. No new players = no income = dead game (at least if there are no new players for a long while).
    2) Ensure we're not pissing off our veteran players in companies if a split of the daily playerbase indeed does happen when we then revert back to no password protected servers.

Any suggestions to the two issues above are very welcome.

We wouldn't be as hesitant if we had a bigger daily playerbase that could absorb such a split - we're very much aware it is high on your wishlist.

- Trusty
    I think the player base can survive for 4 hours with locked servers.

This would not need to happen on the War of Rights servers only private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    I think the player base can survive for 4 hours with locked servers.

This would not need to happen on the War of Rights servers only private servers.
    Yes - it can have far wider consequences than that though.

It might cause company players to only play during "locked hours" to an even greater extent that they are only playing during event hours currently which could cause a permanent split of the userbase and basically end up being a requirement to join a company if you wish to partake in bigger battles in the game.

No new player is going to be very impressed by the game nor its community if the only populated servers they see when they open the server browser are locked ones.

- Trusty

The thing is is that the players who play in the public servers during "non event hours" are not the same people who play in private servers during "event hours" I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you think.

Conversely sir a great many players lose interest in the game when randoms jump on for the two free hours with a Steam purchase, yell racial slurs, team kill, rambo around, and then disappear. It is hard to appeal to all gamers, a fault in game design since the beginning of time. That being said I have played alot of games in my 40 years of life and many of them had locked servers and it didnt dissuade me from playing the game. I found an open server, played and enjoyed.

If you finish the Company Tool as I suggested earlier, I know it takes time, effort, and resources better spent elsewhere, but with it and a global database to ensure randoms aren't in command roles or mucking about disrupting events then the veterans won't demand a way to keep them out of organized play.

Merely ignoring the problem does not make it go away. It only worsens it until you have either a severely divided community or none what so ever.