Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Passwords

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Ted E. Bear View Post
    Alright, gonna voice my opinion here again and i'll see if I can get the pitchforks out and after me again. The core gameplay should always be tailored to public non regimental play. A good core game that is tailored well to the needs of the common people that play it is what will build the community. While Regiments are a vital and integral part of this community tailoring the game to them first will drive away most people. This should be the last thing regiments should want because if new people arent playing the game for long because the base game has issues it really doesnt matter how good the regimentals event are in quality, especially if they are passworded off to the general public. Less new people joining the game means less people to recruit from. On the flip side Regiments should be able to have way more control and ability to modify their own servers to suit their own play style and for events as far as officer counts and regiments are concerned. Passworded servers for "quality gameplay" just continues to drive the notion that you need a regiment to play the game "properly" which should not be the case. Until the core of the game play is fine tuned to the general public and the game doesnt rely on regiments to populate it then it will be a good idea to allow passworded and truly private server. This may come as some shock but not everyone want to join a regiment, they just want to play the game and have fun, if they have a hard time having fun they are not going to stick around and if they dont stick around the chances of them seeing what regiments actually have to offer and bring to the table is slim to none. If regiments can put their needs aside for the needs of the game as whole first i think it will benefit them more in the long run.
    I understand what you mean, i can only speak for myself and the most of my Community.

We dont want to lock public players out, but must of us buyed the game because they wanted realism events, with roleplay and orders and so on.
    And sadly you just CANT do that with the most public players.
    We had best experience this Saturday.

The publics where shouting, sprinting away from spawn, ramboing, Giving orders to us and yelled at us, everything then but not playing realism in lines or anything.
    And for such events like Saturday we need passwords because if you canīt play properly in realsm style for what did i got the game then......

if i cant play the realism i got the game for there is no reason for me to stay.
    Because for what do i make a Companytool, stuff for Roleplaying, make stuff like in Formation und stuff when no one takes it for real.....

We just want passwords for our 1 Event server we use like 2 or 3 times a week thats it.
    Last edited by William; 04-02-2019 at 07:29 AM.

I'm not sure why this is such a problem. If a regiment spends the money to rent a server for events or drills or whatever they want then let them have a password. If they keep it locked then that's on them. It's not like there aren't other servers to play on for people not in that regiment or event. Hell even if all rented servers were always password locked there are still the official one's to play on. The argument that it hurts other players who aren't in that regiment doesn't hold any water to me. The regiment rents it, let them decide if they want it locked or not. Then I hear people argue that a regiment having a event is the most populated one. Your probably right but that population count is going to drop when they are done playing and others might be turned off by non regimental people's playing and not return to it again as the above example alludes to.

If it was my server, I wouldn't have a lock on it unless play was seriously being disrupted or something out of the ordinary like a strict line battle. But that's me and I'm not going to pretend to speak for everyone. However the idea of people not in a regiment trying to dictate what people in one regiment or another should do with the server they rented with their money is laughable

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
    I'm not sure why this is such a problem. If a regiment spends the money to rent a server for events or drills or whatever they want then let them have a password. If they keep it locked then that's on them. It's not like there aren't other servers to play on for people not in that regiment or event. Hell even if all rented servers were always password locked there are still the official one's to play on. The argument that it hurts other players who aren't in that regiment doesn't hold any water to me. The regiment rents it, let them decide if they want it locked or not. Then I hear people argue that a regiment having a event is the most populated one. Your probably right but that population count is going to drop when they are done playing and others might be turned off by non regimental people's playing and not return to it again as the above example alludes to.

If it was my server, I wouldn't have a lock on it unless play was seriously being disrupted or something out of the ordinary like a strict line battle. But that's me and I'm not going to pretend to speak for everyone. However the idea of people not in a regiment trying to dictate what people in one regiment or another should do with the server they rented with their money is laughable

Hallelujah, Thank you Sir!

i couldn't say it better!

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I understand what you mean, i can only speak for myself and the most of my Community.

We dont want to lock public players out, but must of us buyed the game because they wanted realism events, with roleplay and orders and so on.
    And sadly you just CANT do that with the most public players.
    We had best experience this Saturday.

The publics where shouting, sprinting away from spawn, ramboing, Giving orders to us and yelled at us, everything then but not playing realism in lines or anything.
    And for such events like Saturday we need passwords because if you canīt play properly in realsm style for what did i got the game then......

if i cant play the realism i got the game for there is no reason for me to stay.
    Because for what do i make a Companytool, stuff for Roleplaying, make stuff like in Formation und stuff when no one takes it for real.....

We just want passwords for our 1 Event server we use like 2 or 3 times a week thats it.
    Exactly. The problem is is that at least for now the devs do not seem to want to let the two coexist. (generally speaking) the people who play on the public random servers are not the same people who organize events and only wanna play on dedicated servers. You go into one and then another and it is like a different world. I dont get why the publics talk about how they dont need regiments to have fun but insist we should have our servers opened unconditionally for them.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    I dont get why the publics talk about how they dont need regiments to have fun but insist we should have our servers opened unconditionally for them.
    "The publics" dont exist, there are people loving playing with regiments and people who dont, there are members of regiments helping public players and member who dont, there are public players behaving like monkey and members of regiments....I really dont get why you guys try to separate a community so hard. Just as a side note

Personally I am totally fine with having servers with passwords, like for events or trainings....thats pretty normal to be honest.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    " there are public players behaving like monkey and members of regiments....

Personally I am totally fine with having servers with passwords, like for events or trainings....thats pretty normal to be honest.
    Aye but Regiments who behave like monkeys are not invited to our events, and sadly the behaving publics are a little amount, at least by taking orders from Companys on events.

Current system: players pile into the most populated server, whichever one that may be. When that's full, they head to the next one, as it what generally happens in an online fps. If that next server is hosting a not-so-private party, it's not ideal.

Making private servers password protected: potential for playerbase to be spread thinly across multiple servers at peak times, pleasing those in the locked servers while leaving those players who are not in companies without the chance of joining a big game.

Solution: a WoR official password protected server(s). Companies can book the server via the forum for their own usage for a certain time period and are issued with a password for it. Everyone else then reverts back to joining the most populated servers.

I would argue different. Not having password protected servers spreads the server population more as most who play in events just log on to play the events then log off again leaving whatever pub stragglers on that server. It furthermore strains relations as the non regimental players are constantly being kicked to either make room in the server for the people hosting the event or due to less communication resulting in them not following rules agreed upon by the regiments before the event.

All that bluster aside, it shouldn't matter. The regiments rent the servers to play how they want with their money. It's like saying hey you can buy this car to use for work but you have to make sure you pick up these 3 people on your way to work and take then where they want

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. E. E. Smith View Post
    Making private servers password protected: potential for playerbase to be spread thinly across multiple servers at peak times, pleasing those in the locked servers while leaving those players who are not in companies without the chance of joining a big game.
    This is flat out not true. At any point during the day there is one server full, and this is without big regiments playing. Its when the big groups have events that multiple servers get populated. They aren't going to be spread out thinl among other servers. They go to the next one and fill it. On event nights, when one server fills there is usually at least one or more that have significant numbers.

My biggest gripe right now is with the cap going up to 200 in the future, that means server cost is going to increase. We're paying $112 now, and that will go up to $140. Still no password control, still no solution being talked about publicly from the devs. I don't know what they're gonna do when all the groups get fed up with having to arrange events around pubs and quit renting servers altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    This is flat out not true.
    "Potential". Something that could happen, not will happen or is happening - therefore it is your statement that is flat out not true, unless you're Mystic Meg and can see exactly what would happen.