Thread: Equipment Sounds planned?

CSA Captain

Equipment Sounds planned?

Question/Suggestion like in the title.

Will there be additional sounds coming to the game in question of coffe mugs etc. clanking against canteens etc. We all know what it sounds like if a detail of ACC soldiers march past oneself during reenactments and/or in the movies. For now our units are very quiet while moving through the beautiful landscapes of WoR. Even the footsteps are not really heard of all men, which would make for that familiar marching sound of military units.

Something planned in this direction or maybe already underway? Thank you!

I like the suggestion and I am sure we will have additional sounds soon or later

That's a pretty neat idea. Would add to the immersion feel of the game

Look at it this way. Take a hike, 5 -15 mile hike with your friends. An odd number of you put a squeaker in your left shoes, the even number in their right.

At the end of the march, see who doesn't want to ring the other group's necks.

These were trained soldiers in some sort of fashion. If something was uncomfortable, annoying, ill-sized or noisy. They sure did dump it quick or mend the situation. For example: removing lids off of private purchase muckets, tieing them on or into their packs or haversacks.
    Last edited by L. Hopper; 03-19-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West

+1

Also insects and some wildlife sounds as well as some deviation in the ambient sounds. It doesn't make sense to hear the same battle roaring in the background at the East Woods skirmish as later maps.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Hopper View Post
    At the end of the march, see who doesn't want to ring the other group's necks.

These were trained soldiers in some sort of fashion. If something was uncomfortable, annoying, ill-sized or noisy. They sure did dump it quick or mend the situation. For example: removing lids off of private purchase muckets, tieing them on or into their packs or haversacks.
    Yes but a leisurely hike and a ruck march with equipment are two totally different things. Slightly annoying repetitive sounds are nearly an invisible fraction of the misery in a forced march.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Would you happen to have a single reference in the primaries to soldiers ditching gear on a march because it was too noisy?
    "Where's your rifle, soldier?!"

"Sir it was too uncomfortable so I gave it to a little boy back in Harper's Ferry!"
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Captain

Would you happen to have a single reference in the primaries to soldiers ditching gear on a march because it was too noisy?
    Basically yes, at least they left stuff behind which could "provoke enemies attention" which would be recon units and/ or reconnaissance patrol, WW1/WW2. Cant really talk for the civil war, but in the movie "Gods&Generals" you get the following scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHzD17Rl6Po no idea how realistic/ true that is....but secrecy always played a huge role for soldiers.

Since we dont play "march maps" that would be an idea to drop certain gear (bayonet ?!) to prevent noise making. I like the idea
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Major

If you're providing a film adaptation as evidence that soldiers during the Civil War did something, you're going to be in for a bad time.

CSA Captain

"WW1/WW2" and Gods and Generals aren't primary sources. A primary source would be a letter, diary entry, or memoir from the Civil War.
    Kind of disagree what a primary source is, but what I wanted to say is that in both WW1 and WW2 reconnaissance patrols would leave stuff behind which "drags enemy attention" like canteens which could cause noise, here my source is my grandfather who served in WW2.

As said, I am not deep enough in the civil war era to point to certain sources, I always found those movies Gods&Generals and Gettysburg to be realistic and well researched, so thats why I mentioned that scene under the premise that I not an expert ASSUMING that this could have been a thing....jesus guys.....

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Kind of disagree what a primary source is, but what I wanted to say is that in both WW1 and WW2 reconnaissance patrols would leave stuff behind which "drags enemy attention" like canteens which could cause noise, here my source is my grandfather who served in WW2.

As said, I am not deep enough in the civil war era to point to certain sources, I always found those movies Gods&Generals and Gettysburg to be realistic and well researched, so thats why I mentioned that scene under the premise that I not an expert ASSUMING that this could have been a thing....jesus guys.....
    You can't disagree with what a primary source is.