Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 200 the Limit?

Is 200 the Limit?

Seems like it is in other line battle games so I’m curious whether Campfire Games think Cryengine can surpass this number in the future or will the game settle at 200?

I know this topic has been discussed in the past but now we’re on the threshold of 200 they may know the (theoretical) limit in the medium to long-term future?
    Last edited by Quaker; 04-01-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Hello,

We've always been very cautious in giving any absolutes in terms of player counts (the most concrete we've ever been was stating that hundreds of players was the goal - which has now been achieved during the 200 player test) as a huge amount of backend work is required in order to optimize and stabilize the game in order to be able to bump the player counts with little to no effect on the players.

So I can't tell you what the upper limit is but I can tell you that optimizations will be on-going throughout the development of the game.

- Trusty

Thanks for the reply.

Assuming it stabilizes and 200 becomes the norm, it is a great achievement so congratulations.

I really do hope in the not far-off future the numbers can surpass 300 or 400.

Once you get up into those numbers (if ever possible) I think it would transcend the ‘skirmishy’ feel of encounters.

It would create a new level of depth with more companies on the maps and more victory objectives requiring greater cooperative gameplay.

We can but dream and hope!

CSA Captain

I am already very happy with the 200. 250 to give more room for the Cavalry and Artillery would be amazing.

What is your goal in the ratio between Infantry / Cavalry / Artillery ?

How many field pieces are you thinking to be functional on each side?
    How many players would handle a field piece ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    I am already very happy with the 200. 250 to give more room for the Cavalry and Artillery would be amazing.

What is your goal in the ratio between Infantry / Cavalry / Artillery ?

How many field pieces are you thinking to be functional on each side?
    How many players would handle a field piece ?
    Too early to go into artillery specifics (progress is being made on its systems but do not expect it to be fully fleshed out when first released - it will be a long iterative process of adding additional features based on the feedback from you guys and our set targets for what we'd like it to support in terms of features).

The current plan is to have all pieces of the batteries in their historically correct positions be operational (meaning you yourself as a team are free to decide upon how many men you wish to have on artillery at any given point in time). This will increase the amount of different strategies available as well as allow you all to experience fully operational batteries should you so desire.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Too early to go into artillery specifics (progress is being made on its systems but do not expect it to be fully fleshed out when first released - it will be a long iterative process of adding additional features based on the feedback from you guys and our set targets for what we'd like it to support in terms of features).

The current plan is to have all pieces of the batteries in their historically correct positions be operational (meaning you yourself as a team are free to decide upon how many men you wish to have on artillery at any given point in time). This will increase the amount of different strategies available as well as allow you all to experience fully operational batteries should you so desire.

- Trusty
    Thanks
    Definitely not expecting a fully fleshed system upon first release.
    Interesting part is that everyone can jump on any artillery piece on the field at any time does that mean that in the current situation infantry will operate the pieces until the artillery class can be picked?
    And the amount of men needed to operate a field piece in the first implementation of the system would be great to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Thanks
    Definitely not expecting a fully fleshed system upon first release.
    Interesting part is that everyone can jump on any artillery piece on the field at any time does that mean that in the current situation infantry will operate the pieces until the artillery class can be picked?
    And the amount of men needed to operate a field piece in the first implementation of the system would be great to know.
    No it means there is no planned cap on the amount of players that can spawn in under artillery branch (just as there is no cap on regular privates in the infantry branch).

I cannot give you an answer regarding needed players to operate a piece yet (it depends on which iteration of the initial arty mechanics we choose to make available so I can't give you an answer as I don't know).

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post

- Trusty
    Are you implying there will not be an artillery specific class?

I would rather see 1 or 2 artillery crews moving from placed piece to placed piece to start out with, otherwise a line of cannons turns into a line of muskets with even bigger muskets to help them and would not need to be wary of their placement or exposed positions nearly as much.

https://www.twitch.tv/captainteddybear - My twitch channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8...CiFAYlhMjuDgRw - CaptainTeddybear's Youtube

https://discord.gg/5yK5hDS - Big Iron Gaming Discord.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/BigIronGames - Big Iron Gaming Steam group.

If artillery pieces are made available in some locations along the map, then any two infantry could man and operate one canon. It'd take longer to fire, longer to get the correct range, but it should be possible. When the enemy nears, tye crew turns back to infantry to defend or retreat.

Will indirect fire be a thing? How would the range corrections be given for the main battery at spawn bombarding the objective or the enemy main battery? Ingame chat, binoculars or cavalry relays (salvo at time 13:50 was 200meters short).

Considering a canon was more valuable than the lives of 50men back then, loading the thing would have been limited to an artillerist, to not blow the thing up due to overcharge and stuff (in game terms, someone who spawns as artillerist, with maybe a sword for doing anything else). Just servicing the gun will be near boredom as you can get. How about repositioning your piece with the regiment?
    Last edited by EneCtin; 04-02-2019 at 05:27 AM.