Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In-game Artillery Facts / Questions / Concerns

CSA Captain

In-game Artillery Facts / Questions / Concerns

Facts

Too early to go into artillery specifics (progress is being made on its systems but do not expect it to be fully fleshed out when first released - it will be a long iterative process of adding additional features based on the feedback from you guys and our set targets for what we'd like it to support in terms of features).

The current plan is to have all pieces of the batteries in their historically correct positions be operational (meaning you yourself as a team are free to decide upon how many men you wish to have on artillery at any given point in time). This will increase the amount of different strategies available as well as allow you all to experience fully operational batteries should you so desire.

- Trusty
    Definitely not expecting a fully fleshed system upon first release.
    Interesting part is that everyone can jump on any artillery piece on the field at any time does that mean that in the current situation infantry will operate the pieces until the artillery class can be picked?
    And the amount of men needed to operate a field piece in the first implementation of the system would be great to know.
    No it means there is no planned cap on the amount of players that can spawn in under artillery branch (just as there is no cap on regular privates in the infantry branch).

I cannot give you an answer regarding needed players to operate a piece yet (it depends on which iteration of the initial arty mechanics we choose to make available so I can't give you an answer as I don't know).

- Trusty

Questions:

Matt Fridge:
    - Are you implying there will not be an artillery specific class?
    There will be a new branch with artillery specific classes (like Artillery officer and such). Hinkel
    Enectin:
    - Will indirect fire be a thing?
    - How will range corrections be given?
    - Will the artillerist get a weapon?
    - Can you spike the guns?
    - How will the aiming work?

Dutchconfederate:
    - Will there be artillery pieces placed on the drill camp?
    I am pretty sure, that there will be an artillery practice ground on the drill camp map.Hinkel
    - Als concerning the aiming of the pieces will that go according the table of fire with elevation degrees?
    - The current placing of the artillery pieces which information / maps where used?
    I am trying to figure out these maps: http://antietam.aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=main according with the skirmish maps used in WoR

McMuffin:
    - Will you update the company tool to be Battery friendly with sections?

Concerns:

Ted E. Bear:
    - I would rather see 1 or 2 artillery crews moving from placed piece to placed piece to start out with, otherwise a line of cannons turns into a line of muskets with even bigger muskets to help them and would not need to be wary of their placement or exposed positions nearly as much.
    Last edited by Dutchconfederate; 04-02-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Matt Fridge:
    Are you implying there will not be an artillery specific class?
    There will be a new branch with artillery specific classes (like Artillery officer and such).

Dutchconfederate:
    Will there be artillery pieces placed on the drill camp?
    I am pretty sure, that there will be an artillery practice ground on the drill camp map.

CSA Captain

Thanks for the information

Also this thread by McMuffin
    https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...lery-Batteries

About editing the company tool voor batteries so 2 platoons and 4 sections can be made. Is that in the planning?
    Last edited by Dutchconfederate; 04-02-2019 at 09:05 AM.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Facts

- The current placing of the artillery pieces which information / maps where used?
    I am trying to figure out these maps: http://antietam.aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=main according with the skirmish maps used in WoR
    For maps of any battle, I always prefer the ABT maps:
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/c...ttles/antietam

One thing you have to consider with static artillery batteries is that quite soon crews with any brain at all will know the azimuth and range to typical targets including other batteries.

Variable fuzes would be a necessity to avoid surreal predictability.

It’s not ‘will indirect fire be a thing,’ it will be guaranteed. A static battery on one side of the cornfield will require it to have any effect on the other side.

Also consider the purpose and reasoning for an artillery officer to even remain with the battery and not just act as a forward observer in a video game with easy comms galore. A relatively straightforward but gamey fix would involve desertion timers. Other players outside the role will still act as FOs. You’ll even have arty crew pose in as infantry (even officers) to do this.

Infantry private:#1 What’s the holdup for, what are we doing?
    Infantry private:#2 Officer is adjusting fire

You could try things like limiting the in-game chat to be branch-specific but that only goes so far. Players could use steam or or discord or have a private stay with the battery for comms. There’s always a way around it. So yeah, indirect fire will be common depending on how effective the arty is and whether people even see benefit.

I for one don’t really give a rip about arty but obviously it’s coming. I’d trade a couple human-controlled guns to get rid of the random explosions any day of the week. I do hope the random explosions will go away. Maybe a server-side setting at least? Like the weather.

Let’s consider a typical map like Dunker Church as the Union team with static guns.

You spawn in and the tactics now include the arty. So you now have maybe one or two crews on each team but it’ll become an ‘if’ the enemy uses their arty as ways to nullify it are known and some maps they’re only use is for a few opportune canister shots by hiding crews waiting to pull a lanyard (if the guns can’t be spiked this will happen a lot).

Well it’s a given we’re sending a squad up the left to snipe up the reb arty’s flank.

The union arty really can’t be touched by rebel infantry on Dunker Church but will have to fire indirect. Can the fences be broken down in front or do they have to aim even higher and overshoot just to compensate?

Arty usefulness as a static product will vary wildly across scenarios. People super excited for it will grow disappointed expecting more than historical location use. Other people will be tired of explaining how one particular arty spot is totally useless and get tired of seeing crews draining the team in the team morale system.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

No one said the batteries were to be static.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    No one said the batteries were to be static.

- Trusty
    I'll hold you to that!
    4th Texas 'C' Company

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    I'll hold you to that!
    No one said they are to be mobile either. :P

- Trusty

What will the availability of ammo be like? More than enough for a round or limited so that you have to really decide when it's time to use certain shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Vankovski View Post
    What will the availability of ammo be like? More than enough for a round or limited so that you have to really decide when it's time to use certain shots?
    Too early to tell.

- Trusty