Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In-game Artillery Facts / Questions / Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    No worries!

The concept constantly changes as more work is put towards its implementation. So discussing it in detail with you guys currently would result in a lot of people being confused/let down, etc. by what it ends up being for the initial arty implementation.

- Trusty
    That makes sense. Just please give us some updates as you are making progress.

CSA Captain

I've always had my doubts about artillery. I honestly cannot see a way to implement even one civil war artillery piece into the current game, not with the damage that they could do. I could imagine it, if the damage done was expressed as a debuff for Infantry, or a morale hit for example, but causing that amount of actual casualties? Maybe if we ever see 400 player servers.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

One to several cannons would not be too effective if formulaic firing solutions can be avoided (like on this map, fire at sweetspot A, meaning a tad west of NNW, elevation 13degrees, etc etc.). This can be avoided by placing the cannons at random positions along the back of the map so that a few ranging shots are needed. Even then, it will be a chase of a moving target, again several shots to get the range. The target will move as soon as you've hit it or near it, so again a dead on salvo will not meet the target.

Sure, people could experiment and move canons to predetermined positions,, (crest of that small hill, turn the cannon to aim at that tree, and then aim sweetspot B4). In skirmish thoroughly known maps, canons would be too much of an advantage to the more experienced side. On fully random fights chosen from that big training map (location, rotation, spawn positions, spawn starting orientations,) well, there you'd have to work to effectively use your artillery

I almost feel like having just suppression for indirect canon fire and the occasional death while reserving full effectiveness for direct fire solutions, where the other team sees you reloading and has to choose if to evade or maintain position or attack you.
    Last edited by EneCtin; 04-04-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: typos, more details, usual stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    One thing you have to consider with static artillery batteries is that quite soon crews with any brain at all will know the azimuth and range to typical targets including other batteries.

Variable fuzes would be a necessity to avoid surreal predictability.

It’s not ‘will indirect fire be a thing,’ it will be guaranteed. A static battery on one side of the cornfield will require it to have any effect on the other side.

Also consider the purpose and reasoning for an artillery officer to even remain with the battery and not just act as a forward observer in a video game with easy comms galore. A relatively straightforward but gamey fix would involve desertion timers. Other players outside the role will still act as FOs. You’ll even have arty crew pose in as infantry (even officers) to do this.

Infantry private:#1 What’s the holdup for, what are we doing?
    Infantry private:#2 Officer is adjusting fire

You could try things like limiting the in-game chat to be branch-specific but that only goes so far. Players could use steam or or discord or have a private stay with the battery for comms. There’s always a way around it. So yeah, indirect fire will be common depending on how effective the arty is and whether people even see benefit.

I for one don’t really give a rip about arty but obviously it’s coming. I’d trade a couple human-controlled guns to get rid of the random explosions any day of the week. I do hope the random explosions will go away. Maybe a server-side setting at least? Like the weather.

Let’s consider a typical map like Dunker Church as the Union team with static guns.

You spawn in and the tactics now include the arty. So you now have maybe one or two crews on each team but it’ll become an ‘if’ the enemy uses their arty as ways to nullify it are known and some maps they’re only use is for a few opportune canister shots by hiding crews waiting to pull a lanyard (if the guns can’t be spiked this will happen a lot). Best Solution for Assignment Writing Problems in Australia

Well it’s a given we’re sending a squad up the left to snipe up the reb arty’s flank.

The union arty really can’t be touched by rebel infantry on Dunker Church but will have to fire indirect. Can the fences be broken down in front or do they have to aim even higher and overshoot just to compensate?

Arty usefulness as a static product will vary wildly across scenarios. People super excited for it will grow disappointed expecting more than historical location use. Other people will be tired of explaining how one particular arty spot is totally useless and get tired of seeing crews draining the team in the team morale system.
    Are you implying there will not be an artillery specific class?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
    Are you implying there will not be an artillery specific class?
    It's been confirmed that any class can man an artillery piece, but there will be artillery units in game.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    It's been confirmed that any class can man an artillery piece, but there will be artillery units in game.
    Huh? No it hasn't. :P

What we've said is we'll likely not limit the amount of available artillery classes but we do indeed require you to be an artillery class to operate the cannons.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I remembered it being said that artillery could be operated by all but artillery classes would be limited and did the job better. Idk man I'm tired leave me alone
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Something to consider.

When player controlled artillery becomes a thing, I suspect that the current off map "ambient" artillery shelling will either completely disappear or become greatly reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Huh? No it hasn't. :P

What we've said is we'll likely not limit the amount of available artillery classes but we do indeed require you to be an artillery class to operate the cannons.

- Trusty
    SSD = Artillery License

Quote Originally Posted by Vankovski View Post
    SSD = Artillery License
    No. The plan is to make artillery crews limitless in numbers.

- Trusty