Thread: Webb's Farm Petersburg

Webb's Farm Petersburg

Screenshot_20190402-062317.jpg

This guy was killed at a place called Webb's Farm at Petersburg.

Does anyone know where this farm was located?

Hey there Johnny Reb,

Unfortunately, the Webb or Shand Farm no longer exists, long since destroyed. However, taking a look online it seems that it used to exist close to Confederate battery 14, near modern-day Fort Lee. Below is an image of where it would have been from this website: http://www.petersburgproject.org/shand-house.html

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey there Johnny Reb,

Unfortunately, the Webb or Shand Farm no longer exists, long since destroyed. However, taking a look online it seems that it used to exist close to Confederate battery 14, near modern-day Fort Lee. Below is an image of where it would have been from this website: http://www.petersburgproject.org/shand-house.html

Hope that helps!
    Thanks George! You're a great help!

Also I noticed that Battery 15 is on this map as well.

Does it still exist?

My ancestor's regiment the 26th Virginia fought to defend that Battery if my memory serves me correctly.

Is there anything you could tell me about the 26th Virginia Infantry Regiment at Petersburg?

Hey there Johnny Reb,
    Unfortunately most of the works have since been covered over by modern development, though perhaps in one of the many swampy areas you might still see some small traces, but given that the majority were mere earthen works, time and such made all such things practically disappear.
    As for the "Bloody 26th," I can tell you that their first experiences as a unit were garrisoning the coastlines of the Carolinas and Georgia, though at Petersburg did partake in some of the fighting at the Crater. For more information, I might suggest reading the 26th Virginia Infantry, a book by Alex L. Wiatt.