Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battalion Level Suggestions

CSA Captain

Leaders confirmed by steam id and activity?

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    What happens if the Colonel (or whatever) suddenly goes inactive?
    Colonels could get voted by other leaders, but also being able to get demoted, by starting another voting after a certain time.

CSA Major General

What happens if the Colonel (or whatever) suddenly goes inactive? A friend to many of us in this community passed away and his company is forever now in limbo in the Company Tool. There ought to be some way to protect companies and any larger organizations to come from this sort of situation.
    Probably having multiple roles at a certain 'level' would mean continuity is assured.

In the current CT members who have admin (minimum role required is the same or lower) can remove players if they have been inactive (for example).

I do believe if registered regiments fall below a certain level, someone else can pick it up … however if some fill a regiment and never show that will leave it frozen in time. (a cleanup was proposed a while back)

A few of my biggest grievances in the current deployment are :

• It show the soldiers name in the roster, but players usually go by their nickname … so you'll have to open up enlistment papers sometimes to find out who that person is.
    • Promoting, changing role, assigning platoon can't be done in one take, when you press to confirm it executes directly making you return to the roster.
    • Currently there is no relationship between CT & ingame mechanics.
    • The minimum required rank is on another screen (maybe admin stuff can be reworked) and it confuses owners.
    Last edited by Redleader; 04-12-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Captain

What happens if the Colonel (or whatever) suddenly goes inactive? A friend to many of us in this community passed away and his company is forever now in limbo in the Company Tool. There ought to be some way to protect companies and any larger organizations to come from this sort of situation.
    I'm tellin' you guys, voting for leaders works and if it's enforced by the Company Tool itself, even better. Elections would be automatic every 3-6 months, or could be called by a majority of players. I say players because enlisted and NCOs should have a say too, just in the extremely unlikely case that all officers go MIA.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    I'm tellin' you guys, voting for leaders works and if it's enforced by the Company Tool itself, even better. Elections would be automatic every 3-6 months, or could be called by a majority of players. I say players because enlisted and NCOs should have a say too, just in the extremely unlikely case that all officers go MIA.
    I am all for freedom in options(voting or other ways) as long as there is a option to (automatically) remove the leadership positions due to inactivity and each company in the group keeps their freedom to stay or go as they please.

Hinkel,

I think your initial instinct to first address the battalion/Regiment tool first was correct. Lets get that working before we move on to the Brigade and corps levels.

That being said if it is operating on a database query code, the simplest way to accomplish implementation would be to allow the owners of the mustered companies in a regiment to select themselves or a contemporary via a drop down selection for the position of Regiment commander. Let the selection process take 24 hours and the selected person with the most votes by the company commanders gets the position and then they can appoint a major and a Sgt major as those are already in the system.

To address the concerns regarding inactive or toxic individuals in the regimental leader position you use the same selection process to remove them at any time using the 24 hour selection process. If a majority of the mustered companies don't select (abstain) or vote for the incumbent to stay it is a non factor. That way it always requires a majority of the mustered companies to have their say.

This has been brought up before in a similar discuss and should be implemented.

How regiments select their leaders can be done internally through an election or just through the system I just described. Either way it requires people to work together to maintain a system and prevents rogue actors from destabilizing it.

CSA Captain

I think if you do get busy with it than go all the way so we can test all the pros and cons.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    I think if you do get busy with it than go all the way so we can test all the pros and cons.
    Agreed, let's see what can be cooked up .. soup is best served hot
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    This is a good point. Only let's not limit this to just Colonelcy positions. There should be a mechanism in code that will allow for ownership of unit pages to either clear the members of said unit, or allow for newly elected replacement leaders to assume editorial rights to the unit's Web pages.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Hey guys,

as you know, we would like to add a battalion level for the Company Tool.
    I would like to hear your suggestions, how such a system could work.

There are a couple of issues, which might cause some problems:

1)
    There are 10 companies in each regiment. Who will take command of the battalion as Colonel? Will there be a voting, that each Company creator can suggest and vote a battalion commander?

2)
    What, if some companies are not friendly to each other and don't want to work together?

Looking forward to your suggestions, so we can create a good and interesting battalion level
    I've had conversations in the past with a few other Company Commanders on this subject. Specifically in reference to the rank of the commanding officer.
    My issue with this is of course the scale in respect to historical accuracy vrs the amount of players in the game.
    Example: Burnside Bridge. Currently WarOfRights only allows 150 players on a server, The actual battle obviously had a much larger group of soldiers on either side. So in my mind, 75 per side needs to represent and scale to how many people were actually involved in the battle.
    1 company = 100 men 1 Battalion = 1000 men. In game this is obviously not possible.

As far as Rank goes, I think that needs to scale as well. I know each Company/brigade/battalion/Corp commander probably has a different opinion on this.
    For myself and the 1stCav, 1 Company Captain, 2 Major, 3 Lt.Col, 4 Col. and so on.

We do have a affiliation with the 9th Corp. Mainly because we have a good relationship with the other Companies in that organization. 9th NY, 17thMI, 11th CT
    But in the long run, I think throwing already formed companies into a Battalion based on historical accuracy will create a mess.

Problems between company commanders, differences in play style, higher and lower attendance numbers per company within that Battalion. (We all know numbers on the company tool rarely translate to numbers in game) and this absolutely includes 1stCav. We have 160 people and we rarely have over 30 people in game. Due to time zones, players becoming inactive, event times or any other number of reasons.

I'm definitely interested to hear everyone's opinion on this issue. I believe this could be a game killer if this goes into effect.