Thread: Bans not working?

Bans not working?

I noticed people I banned were definitely rejoining undeterred recently. I'm wondering if it could be related to server name changes, since the ban file is the same as the server name. My ban file is showing as last modified mid-March, and only one file with one name exists with no others generated. I've made a few minor name changes and that's all I can think of.

Also...there doesn't seem to be any server.log file beings generated or at least filled anymore. There was one huge one for the early month of the game (~700mb) from a lot of usage but there's been none made since with any content in them. Just some empty 0kb Server.log files. Some of the stuff they log is a little excessive but they're nice to have, if only they could be smaller.

I was hoping to look through the logs to better investigate some TK incidents and why bans didn't seem to be working but it seems to not exist.

Edit: Oh yikes! There does seem to exist some files in the 'log backups' folder. There's a series of files amounting to several terabytes of data. I can't do anything with that crazy.gif

terror.jpg
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 04-17-2019 at 04:26 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

I noticed this as well. Bans simply don't work. The best I can do is kick.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Hello. Thank you for the tip, sounds like that could be it. The ban system was naming the files this way in order for the bans to be tied to individual servers in case multiple servers were running from the same game directory, which is how we used to do it in the past, during the crowdfunding phases. G-Portal however are running all their servers from individual directories, so no files are shared between the servers, and thus, there is no requirement for the bans to be stored in a name specific file. So in the next update, we'll try simply renaming the file to BanList.json instead of the server name, so it should always be able to find the file, regardless of what you name your server. No actions should be required on your part as if it fails to find the BanList.json file, it will try loading the old file and then when the server closes, it will save the old file with the new name. You can however if you want to make sure it works, copy your ban file and rename it to BanList.json. Copy and rename, because if you only rename, then previous bans will stop working until we deploy the next update.

Thanks for the potential fix and for taking a look at it!
    Last edited by Lord Drax; 04-18-2019 at 01:07 AM.