Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Months of Whoever Grabs the Officer First...

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post

Private servers will be the domain of formed Companies
    You are free to make this assumption but last time I checked it's not a requirement icon_smile.gif

My main motivation in my various pushes is because I know the pursuit of closed-server 'realism' events are ultimately an exercise in futility if the game is not designed for what people are closing the servers for in the first place. I spent years trying to put square pegs in round holes in realism games and have the gray hairs to show for it. I'm all about closed server events because it makes a command structure more solid. The ideal circumstances however is that the game heavily compels player behavior in the first place. Because written rules are open to interpretation and people will always get away with what they can unless they have compelling reasons not to.

The team damage ban system is a good example of what works very well managing player behavior. It would be an entirely different story if it did not factor in wounding, as many other games don't.

Why people who are so involved are otherwise so disengaged or laissez-faire about leader selection and other mechanics of this game is a mystery to me when it matters enormously to the success and entertainment value of the game on all levels.

What's the difference between WoR and the mainstream games? I'd submit to you that the main difference is that a player in a mainstream shooter can go into almost any freakin' server in that game and get the style of gameplay he's expecting. Here it depends on who I'm playing with and what they're willing to do. The players shouldn't have to be carefully marshaled into formations for 20 minutes to get a few cinematic seconds of filming operational formations. That's not right. But then when in gameplay has a formation ever been competitively advanced in line of battle and not a column or a blob? There isn't any reason to. Without reinventing gameplay there won't ever be any reason or capacity to. Because the game mechanics are a hybrid of a standard shooter's way of doing things.

Some people want to frame realism as too restrictive. On the contrary it's entirely too mainstream to allow random players to literally jog alone from your front to your rear and start stabbing a mass of players in the side or rear. It's entirely too mainstream to allow players to meelee at all in that situation. It's preposterous and yet it happens all the time. "Look out there's a guy going around our left." A lot of good the team morale system does after the disruption they cause and after two guys run after him and one dies out of line before the other one gets him.

It's preposterous to pursue the historical situation without pursuing the historical situation. Are we gonna be a game where any single player can be a total pain in the ass at any given time? Or can we shoot a couple rounds his way and make him combat ineffective as he should be? Is that too niche? How much longer are we seriously going to have utterly random officers? Games that aren't niche can expect far better design. How exactly was that supposed to work when envisioned? Why are you gonna put an officer in the game and have zero plan to make the role mean anything?

Are we gonna forever have a game where a threshold score is hit and suddenly the rules which decide the outcome of the match don't matter anymore at all (last stand / final push)? It makes about as much sense as punishing the team for the style of death of lone players in the first place.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 05-29-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    You are free to make this assumption but last time I checked it's not a requirement
    Most private servers will be owned and run by formed Companies, you know this, I didn't say it was a requirement. I've never attended one of these so called 'realism' events, & you really should stop trying to club formed Companies with that particular stick because it's just nonesense. People will mainly close servers for the reasons I stated earlier, not for 'realism' events. I won't argue, that so far there are fatal flaws in design, but these are just our opinions & the Devs don't agree with us. On the subject of getting into formation I agree, I also agree that moving in formation is very difficult too, nailing this game into first person was an error that will, I think, come back to haunt them.

I don't see 'realism' as restrictive either, although I'll wager my idea of ACW 'realism' differs vastly from most peoples. I find it hard to understand, for example, why a team that sings the 'historical accuracy' song so much, would make it possible to bayonet your comrades to death. As things stand at the moment I also agree that the 'class' selection screens need a ton of work, logging into WoR and setting up for combat is a chore at best. They sold forming your own Companies to us, and it was a big selling point, yet once in the game it all means less than nothing. It goes without saying that I despise Last Stand & Final Push.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

You are free to make this assumption but last time I checked it's not a requirement icon_smile.gif

My main motivation in my various pushes is because I know the pursuit of closed-server 'realism' events are ultimately an exercise in futility if the game is not designed for what people are closing the servers for in the first place.
    It was never about playing as realistically as possible. It's about being able to quickly set up a match at a predetermined time between two groups who are playing the game to win without having to worry about free radicals who may not want to play according to the teams plan or who may be actively causing the team to lose.

Which is also demonstrative of why the team morale system needs to be more heavily supplemented with solid deterrences so players are way less likely to be doing stupid things out of line to cause their team to lose. ja.gif

Which is also demonstrative of why the team morale system needs to be more heavily supplemented with solid deterrences so players are way less likely to be doing stupid things out of line to cause their team to lose. ja.gif
    I'm curious. Do you have any ideas for mechanics that could further deter players from going off on their own and such?

Check out the video link in my signature. fastyes.gif

Check out the video link in my signature. fastyes.gif
    Ok. I will. I do a fair amount of brainstorming about what could be further developed upon myself. I'm just curious what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I hope "shoving it up your ass" is not what you took away from my post explaning our reasonings of now going to implement password protected servers.

Please keep a civil tone.

We have no immediate plan in regards to introducing other ways of selecting officer slots so please do keep the suggestions going, thank you.

- Trusty
    The same opinion keeps being suggested... Why is this still a topic. The devs are busy working on content and performance...

Because Trusty said to keep the suggestions going? It's in the quote you just grabbed. icon_biggrin.gif

Honestly I thought polar opposite opinions were being put forward but that's just me.

Because Trusty said to keep the suggestions going? It's in the quote you just grabbed. icon_biggrin.gif

Honestly I thought polar opposite opinions were being put forward but that's just me.
    Its the same two suggestions though; one for officer voting and one for no voting... Nothing new just perpetuating