Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Months of Whoever Grabs the Officer First...

USA Major

I personally only want to play on password-protected servers moving forward. When I come into a game and there are more pubs then organized regiments playing I very rarely if ever want to stay in there. There'll always be public servers, and I hope password-protected servers come very soon because the game sorely needs it. I don't care if it divides the community or public players feel left out. I know I speak for myself and for my guys that we enjoy playing in organized events and don't much enjoy playing in events where things are disorganized and anyone can take an officer slot and start running around claiming to be a leader.

Plain and simple the Civil War was fought with organized regiments. There weren't single guys just running around doing what they wanted to do. I know this is a game but for this game to ever be as authentic as I know the developers want and many people who play it want it to be, I feel that every player should be in an organized regiment for it to reach that level of authenticity. Sadly that's not been the case.

Pubs will either fall in with regiments or they won't. In private servers in with scheduled events, the more experienced players who are leaders of their regiments will take the officer roles and the game will play a lot smoother and because you can get that one guy who's never played that's going to be an incredible leader and the one guy who's played two hundred hours who's a crappy leader, but more times than not that will not be the case. There were plenty of crappy leaders in the Civil War but for the most part they led the regiments - even if it was a slaughter - all together and in some sort of organized line or formation.

This is not RS 2, it's not Battlefield, it's not Call of Duty. This game needs to be played in a more organized way for it to reach its full potential and with allowing anyone to come in to take an officer slot it will never play that way.

Password protected servers are the answer for people who want that more organized level of gameplay and there will always be public servers for those who are not into that or feel like they want to be an officer even if they started playing 10 minutes ago. There's room for both and what we need are options so that people can get the type of gameplay they want.

I personally never take the officer class as I don't need it to lead my eight to 10 guys. I leave it for other larger groups who have a lot of guys and they need to throw lines down as they're playing in a line battle type of style. My decision to do that shows that I respect the officer class and I would never take it unless I planned on fully playing as an officer and leading large groups of men. Not everyone thinks that way when they take the officer class but I think they should.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 04-30-2019 at 02:44 PM.

The officer role is just a class as I've said a lot of times. The problem is that people look to it as the most viable place for authority which is desperately needed to stand any chance in playing the way they joined the game in the first place to play. It's a recipe for failure when it's up in the air. It would be better if there were no such class as I've said again and again. Players will follow a voice they like. Welcome to 3D voice chat.

The leadership culture in game is a bizarre one. Nobody even tries to delegate authority since there is no real authority in the first place. I saw it once or twice in unremarkable fashion and otherwise have never seen it. Generally you will get some cooperation between officers and their force will operate autonomously in most cases. There's a common understanding that the flag bearers should be with large groups but there's almost no thought given to it beyond that so that the role ends up filling a fraction of its potential quite regularly. Attacking strategies are a grand embarrassment all around. I just don't want to make enemies out of everyone or else I'd be compiling some of them.

I just finally deleted my first year of WoR video and tactics haven't really evolved since then which is a little troubling. The main thing that has changed is you don't get chastised for being a flag bearer following around a force anymore since the flag spawns exist. I think the lack of innovation goes hand-in-hand with leaders continuously afraid to deviate from a standard set behavior. If you deviate, people ditch you. God forbid someone divides his force. The last thing you want to do as an officer is not keep every player close at hand while you have them. Because there's no automatic confidence in you in the first place. I may also be an officer but any NCOs around me have precisely no loyalty outside of a clan structure. Nobody is accountable to anyone. It's sort of hard to project more than a very basic vision for your team with all that lacking.

When people crave passworded servers what they really want is some semblance of authority present. You can't really have legitimate authority if you have no basis for it. And you can't have linear warfare done well without authority. You can make a guy a head of a team and have the admin enforce it. That works, mostly. But it's better even still if there's some legitimate shell of organisation within the game to be filled during events. And that's essential for public gameplay.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 05-01-2019 at 02:39 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Honestly I think passsworded servers during this stage of the game will do more harm then good. The game needs a certain numbers of players to work. Restricting the servers would spoil down those.
    Pup players are not bad. Most follow the orders and enjoy the uniqe gameplay. I simply have no time and dont want to join an organized regiment. Just want two or three games after work and thats it.
    I would not devide the playerbase into pups and regiments. This is not a big game. Even excluding a small number of players will effect gameplay.

A better ingame tool is definatly needed for class selection. This needs to be fair for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I just finally deleted my first year of WoR video and tactics haven't really evolved since then which is a little troubling. The main thing that has changed is you don't get chastised for being a flag bearer following around a force anymore since the flag spawns exist. I think the lack of innovation goes hand-in-hand with leaders continuously afraid to deviate from a standard set behavior. If you deviate, people ditch you. God forbid someone divides his force. The last thing you want to do as an officer is not keep every player close at hand while you have them. Because there's no automatic confidence in you in the first place. I may also be an officer but any NCOs around me have precisely no loyalty outside of a clan structure. Nobody is accountable to anyone. It's sort of hard to project more than a very basic vision for your team with all that lacking.
    I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but what would be nice is if the designated officer could draw lines of attack and rally points on his F2 map at the start of the round (only), which then show up on individual soldiers F2 maps (and the officer/nco's of the other regiments could see the plans of their counterpart, and plan accordingly). Be a bit like issued battle orders, would compensate for the lack of pre-battle instructions. I'm pretty sure then at least we'd get two angles of attack from the separate regiments instead of the blob, and a bit more autonomy/variety in terms of tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I personally only want to play on password-protected servers moving forward. When I come into a game and there are more pubs then organized regiments playing I very rarely if ever want to stay in there. There'll always be public servers, and I hope password-protected servers come very soon because the game sorely needs it. I don't care if it divides the community or public players feel left out. I know I speak for myself and for my guys that we enjoy playing in organized events and don't much enjoy playing in events where things are disorganized and anyone can take an officer slot and start running around claiming to be a leader.

Plain and simple the Civil War was fought with organized regiments. There weren't single guys just running around doing what they wanted to do. I know this is a game but for this game to ever be as authentic as I know the developers want and many people who play it want it to be, I feel that every player should be in an organized regiment for it to reach that level of authenticity. Sadly that's not been the case.

Pubs will either fall in with regiments or they won't. In private servers in with scheduled events, the more experienced players who are leaders of their regiments will take the officer roles and the game will play a lot smoother and because you can get that one guy who's never played that's going to be an incredible leader and the one guy who's played two hundred hours who's a crappy leader, but more times than not that will not be the case. There were plenty of crappy leaders in the Civil War but for the most part they led the regiments - even if it was a slaughter - all together and in some sort of organized line or formation.

This is not RS 2, it's not Battlefield, it's not Call of Duty. This game needs to be played in a more organized way for it to reach its full potential and with allowing anyone to come in to take an officer slot it will never play that way.

Password protected servers are the answer for people who want that more organized level of gameplay and there will always be public servers for those who are not into that or feel like they want to be an officer even if they started playing 10 minutes ago. There's room for both and what we need are options so that people can get the type of gameplay they want.

I personally never take the officer class as I don't need it to lead my eight to 10 guys. I leave it for other larger groups who have a lot of guys and they need to throw lines down as they're playing in a line battle type of style. My decision to do that shows that I respect the officer class and I would never take it unless I planned on fully playing as an officer and leading large groups of men. Not everyone thinks that way when they take the officer class but I think they should.
    Totally in solidarity

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    Agreed.

In general, it would also be helpful for the lines to be color specific for each respective unit. The lines drawn by your unit's officer should be bright white, while the lines drawn by the other unit's officer should be a dimmer grey. This would help new players distinguish between the various lines being drawn and further reduce chaos on the battlefield.
    Unless I am mistaken, I believe we will be seeing a revamped officer order system in the future based off a radial command menu so that there will be other commands other than just a line. Especially when you look at high command officers and the general role. I am sure they will need to differ in appearance and look to be able to distinguish between the different commands.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    Agreed.

In general, it would also be helpful for the lines to be color specific for each respective unit. The lines drawn by your unit's officer should be bright white, while the lines drawn by the other unit's officer should be a dimmer grey. This would help new players distinguish between the various lines being drawn and further reduce chaos on the battlefield.
    I think those lines should be way dimmer than what they are now. Sometimes the lines plus the icon blocks my view of enemies and too many lines becomes a plain mess other than the loss of immersion.

There's a common understanding that the flag bearers should be with large groups but there's almost no thought given to it beyond that so that the role ends up filling a fraction of its potential quite regularly.
    Well for one, due to flag bearers not being able to attack, the role is of course acting only at a fraction of its potential. Quite often, flag bearers would be using the ends of the flag for self defense. See the end. colorbearer.jpg Also, by not being able to move the flag's position (such as left or right as a signal) we're missing out on being able to signal an impending attack on a certain side if both regiments are separated.

CSA Captain

When people crave passworded servers what they really want is some semblance of authority present.
    If you're playing on a passworded server you don't need 'authority' because everyone is accountable, that's the point of a private server I believe. People who gravitate to private servers are usually craving a semblance of both order, and of freedom. They're secure in the knowledge that unruly and disruptive players will be removed never to return (order) which, in turn, gives them the freedom to relax and just get on with playing the game. Where the private server system falls apart is when you have them set up with a plethora of silly rules that the game just does not need, and those rules differ from one server to the next.

Private servers will be the domain of formed Companies, but then WoR was always going to be a niche' game so that's hardly surprising. No more scrambling for Officer slots, no more intentional team killing etc etc, the benefits are kind of obvious. It's a complete myth that private servers cannot survive without public ones, it's simply not true. It's also a myth that most private servers exclude the public, it's a simple premise, ask for the password, get it, behave yourself...and you're then free to go there whenever you like. Also not all formed Companies demand that you play...I'm in First Georgia & I have not played for weeks, & they're perfectly fine with that, as are most of the WoR Companies.

Shiloh puts it into a nutshell:

It should be made clearer by CG that 'Officer' & 'Flag Bearer' are NOT the traditional FPS 'classes', rather they are roles in that they have a function that is vital to game play. It also needs to be made clear that they have a limited number available for use, otherwise you get this:

Quote Originally Posted by Oelmann View Post
    This needs to be fair for everybody.
    They're not classes and it's not meant to be fair, Officer & Flag Bearer are roles, they have a specific function, & many many new players obviously do not realise that. Hopefully somewhere in the new design things like this will be addressed, but for those who want a level of order & freedom to play the way Shiloh describes, then Private servers are the only answer, and like it or not, they're coming.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I think those lines should be way dimmer than what they are now. Sometimes the lines plus the icon blocks my view of enemies and too many lines becomes a plain mess other than the loss of immersion.
    Not to mention those officers showing bad judgement, in spamming those lines and icons. I've seen as many as 6 line icons over each other. And until recent updates scaled those icons down, they were the only thing I could see.

One should be all thats required to get your group to the point on the field.