Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teamkill recipient messages, removal of

Teamkill recipient messages, removal of

Does the player really need to know that their most recent death has been a teamkill?

Teamkills are a part of parcel for any game that has friendly damage. And with that, comes the vitriolic chat-spam. It starts off vaguely sarcastic ("nice teamkill"), quickly descending into unfettered rage polluting the chat window. Yep, we can mute them...but what about the player not receiving that information in the first place, and thereby skipping any of the nonsense hostility that is commonplace in such occurrences (and that's present in any tk-enabled game, not just a problem in WOR)? What good does it do for the game?

I've committed a few accidental tk's recently. The ones in melee go unmentioned. The others quickly escalate into something more, including "revenge" tk's. That's something that doesn't need to be in the game, at all. TK's are always going to happen, but what we don't need is the disproportionate toxicity that comes from having a target to vent at.

This could be avoided by removing the message for getting teamkilled. The auto-temp-ban system is there to deal with persistent tker's, but the message serves no purpose but to empower a butthurt. We don't know which enemy has killed us, so why would we need to know which friendly did?

Leaving the message for the player who killed their teammate is sensible, so they are aware of their mistake. Same for the admin, who may need the information to monitor players.

The only game I recall having a somewhat sensible system is the forgive one in R02/RS. Still led to idiotic rages though. In a game with no hit markers, kill messages, or scoreboard...is the friendly tk message actually needed? Would it be a better environment by not having it at all? Or replacing it with a more generic tk message, which doesn't name the perp?

I appreciate the sentiment in this post but remember one thing - this game allows instant side-swapping.

Under what you propose griefers in public games could switch sides and take out Flagbearers and Officers with friendly fire in critical moments of battle and no one would be the wiser since we wouldn’t know who did it.
    Last edited by Quaker; 04-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment in this post but remember one thing - this game allows instant side-swapping.

Under what you propose griefers in public games could switch sides and take out Flagbearers and Officers with friendly fire in critical moments of battle and no one would be the wiser since we wouldn’t know who did it.
    This isn't about that team-switching. This is about reducing butthurt chat spam and vitriol by the removal of a redundant message.

I can understand what your getting at as I've seen the rage you describe from SOME. Most of the TK's that do happen are ignored however so I will say it's a very small % of people that insist on raging. I will say that the only reason I do like to know if I was team killed is to inform the person or people that might be thinking your the enemy to stop shooting at a group I'm in as many times the tk notice might not be seen by the person that did it.

People who complain about accidental team kills are incredibly childish. People use it as an excuse to curse people out in the chat box and this disrupts the game. If the message were not there it may help reduce this.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    People who complain about accidental team kills are incredibly childish. People use it as an excuse to curse people out in the chat box and this disrupts the game. ...
    This right here.

clap.gif

smiley_salute.gif

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(Fridge) View Post
    People who complain about accidental team kills are incredibly childish. People use it as an excuse to curse people out in the chat box and this disrupts the game. If the message were not there it may help reduce this.
    Things get more heated if a team is low on tickets or when it's a clusterf**k on teamkills (usually melee, or miscommunication leading to a group firing into friendlies)
    Honestly, If people do team damage it doesn't take much to have someone kicked (don't think serious players are interested in getting kicked from a full server )

And Yes, Tk's can happen pretty fast (we had scouts getting shot, or people running/standing in front of the line …) … even carefull players can have it happen … if there is a 'sorry' and we all move on -> it's all good !
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Bumping this in light of the experience this weekend and last.

I've only played at weekends the last couple of weeks, and it seems like half the time the chat box is filled with vitriol from people who got teamkilled. It's easy to tk by accident in this game (particularly in melee due to suppression and the lag between pressing the button and the character animation, allowing others to run in front of a pre-ordered stab), but the only tk's I've seen on purpose are revenge ones. Doesn't half ruin the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Mark L. E. E. Smith; 05-19-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Teamkill messages is a nice unobtrusive way for players to get a bit more careful what they shoot at. Just a bit of team pressure, just a bit of consequence, nowhere near the vitriol you're mentioning. A quick simple "Shit, sry [name]" is usually enough to calm most irritated guys. Sure, there are very few that hunt you just to prove their point, simply ignore them.

Keep the TK messages, the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Quote Originally Posted by EneCtin View Post
    Teamkill messages is a nice unobtrusive way for players to get a bit more careful what they shoot at. Just a bit of team pressure, just a bit of consequence, nowhere near the vitriol you're mentioning. A quick simple "Shit, sry [name]" is usually enough to calm most irritated guys. Sure, there are very few that hunt you just to prove their point, simply ignore them.

Keep the TK messages, the benefits outweigh the downsides.
    In completely unsupported-by-fact news, I find it far worse on the union side.

The TK messages themselves could be kept, but without naming the perp. Makes no sense to me to have a name on the death for the hate to be spewed at - when we're killed by the enemy, we don't get their name to jive talk at.