Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effective ranges for the M1842 Springfield

USA 1st Lieutenant

Effective ranges for the M1842 Springfield

Hello all!

I did some testing on CSA range with the M1842. I shot against the 3rd set of targets, and moved backwards to get further distances. All shots were aimed at the center target. Any shot that produced a marker was scored as a hit.

70 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 18
    BB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 21

100 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 19 Hits: 12
    BB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 13

125 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 19 Hits: 10
    BB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 7

To me, this suggests that Buck and Ball is the more effective option at ranges of less than 100 yards, and Round Ball is the more effective option at ranges of more than 125 yards. I think that there would be no significant difference between the two at ranges of 100-125 yards.
    Beyond 125 yards, I think that Buck and Ball would suffer a significant dropoff in effectiveness. This could be confirmed by more testing, but I ran out of time.

One caveat- I didn't test this in volley fire. I don't know how accurate this will be when you have five (or more!) people shooting at once. If someone does decide to test in volley fire, I think that would be great! Just remember to keep the results separate from the individual accuracy tests.

If anyone else wants to experiment, I'd love to compare your results to mine. For reference, the formula to calculate how far to step away from the line is (Target Distance- 70)/1.16666. The end product is how many seconds you need to walk- facing away from the target- in Quicktime at shoulder arms.

Best,
    Dman979
    Last edited by Dman979; 06-24-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added paragraph.

come shoot with me anytime i have hit with round ball at 300 yards and out

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by COL. Patrick R Cleburne View Post
    come shoot with me anytime i have hit with round ball at 300 yards and out
    Oh, I'm not saying that it's impossible- on the contrary, Round Ball was more accurate (went where I was aiming) than I thought it would be. And I have a screenshot of a 430 yard bullseye with Round Ball.

But it takes a lot of shooting to achieve that, and most of those shots will miss. That's why I'm looking to get statistics, not anecdotes.

Best,
    Dman979

I wish the range had man sized targets you could place behind walls, fences, etc.

Prolly not very period but it would be handy.

Interesting stuff, but isn't the real utility of B&B the ability to hit multiple targets with one shot? I'd like to know the range you'd need to fire to get the best chance at at dinging multiple men in a firing line.

Through observation, wishful thinking and flat out guessing I'm going to say that between twenty five and about seventy yards will give you a shot at centering on one victim and picking up a bonus or two on the sides.

My 100 yards must be different than your 100 yards. I'd like to see some tests done on a skirmish server with a live standing target. I did it a couple years ago and it was a catastrophe that hopefully can't be replicated
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    My 100 yards must be different than your 100 yards. I'd like to see some tests done on a skirmish server with a live standing target. I did it a couple years ago and it was a catastrophe that hopefully can't be replicated
    It's easy enough to replicate. Go to the Reb range, 3rd furthest set of targets. Walk due South for 25 seconds. Turn around, and you should be 100 yards away from them.

Best,
    Dman979

I don't see the practical application to shooting at live targets. You won't get those hits numbers vs a live, stationary, willing target.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I don't see the practical application to shooting at live targets. You won't get those hits numbers vs a live, stationary, willing target.
    Well, sure. Individual live targets are smaller.

But that's not what the weapon is designed for- it's supposed to be used against formations. Three of the wooden range targets, standing close to each other, seems like a reasonable approximation of a formation.

Best,
    Dman979

i have hit at 305 yard and out with round ball just take a look at my steam profile

USA 1st Lieutenant

I just did another round of testing. Here's the new data.

70 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 40 Hits: 36
    BB Shots Fired: 40 Hits: 47

100 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 40 Hits: 25
    BB Shots Fired: 40 Hits: 23

125 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 40 Hits: 18
    BB Shots Fired: 40 Hits: 13

And here's the old data, again:

70 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 18
    BB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 21

100 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 19 Hits: 12
    BB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 13

125 Yards
    RB Shots Fired: 19 Hits: 10
    BB Shots Fired: 20 Hits: 7

This seems consistent, but I still think that some more data is needed towards the 100 yard mark. My shots seemed very inconsistent there.

Best,
    Dman979