Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Effective ranges for the M1842 Springfield

This is really cool data. I'm going to have some of our best shots replicate and see what we come up with. I think I can get a pretty decent sample size.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Vankovski View Post
    This is really cool data. I'm going to have some of our best shots replicate and see what we come up with. I think I can get a pretty decent sample size.
    Glad to hear you like it! Do be sure to follow all the methods I posted in the OP on how to keep the tests consistent. Importantly, any marker is counted as a hit, even if it's not on the target itself. Also, I was testing with someone else, but I couldn't use their data since they didn't keep track of how many shots they had fired- only the hits and misses. It's probably better to have everyone keep track of their own shots, otherwise one person doing it wrong would kill all your data.

I'm looking forward to seeing if you replicate my data!

Best,
    Dman979

Which state were you in? In Line, Skirmishing, Out of Line?

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Vankovski View Post
    Which state were you in? In Line, Skirmishing, Out of Line?
    I was Out of Line and Skirmishing, but in theory it doesn't matter- the formation states only affect the sway, not the accuracy, per say. Because I was out of line, there were a few times where I had to reaim after the sway got too bad. The way I see it, being In Formation would make it easier to aim.

If you really want to replicate it exactly, though, than I was standing out of line behind the 6th fence from the left. And it was raining, at night.

Best,
    Dman979

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    I was Out of Line and Skirmishing, but in theory it doesn't matter- the formation states only affect the sway, not the accuracy, per say. Because I was out of line, there were a few times where I had to reaim after the sway got too bad. The way I see it, being In Formation would make it easier to aim.

If you really want to replicate it exactly, though, than I was standing out of line behind the 6th fence from the left. And it was raining, at night.

Best,
    Dman979
    You're an excellent shot then! I need to go do some more testing, but from what I was able to gather, if you're firing at a line inside of 70 yds you will in fact score more hits with buck and ball. Outside of 70yds roundball becomes the more effective option. I'll have actual numbers in a few more days.

USA 1st Lieutenant

So, how'd your testing go, Vankovski? I'm waiting on tenterhooks.

Best,
    Dman979