Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: skirmishes

The fact that many organized regiments utilize skirmishers in competitive play to great success kinda stands in direct opposition to the idea that skirmishing is somehow discouraged by the devs. The -3 risk you take dying in skirmishing formation is 100% balanced in my opinion because the rewards of skirmishing correctly cannot be quantified directly to tickets. Furthermore, if you're skirmishing correctly you really shouldn't even encounter the skirmishing formation modifier anyways.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Vankovski View Post
    The fact that many organized regiments utilize skirmishers in competitive play to great success kinda stands in direct opposition to the idea that skirmishing is somehow discouraged by the devs. The -3 risk you take dying in skirmishing formation is 100% balanced in my opinion because the rewards of skirmishing correctly cannot be quantified directly to tickets. Furthermore, if you're skirmishing correctly you really shouldn't even encounter the skirmishing formation modifier anyways.
    *Applauds*
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

That's true to say that skirmishers should not be getting dropped or heavily engaged to the point they're suppressed beyond effectiveness.

But if there was no penalty while 'skirmishing' (either Team Morale or suppression penalties) would you operate in lines? So you're in a wide open field and you have space to spread out but you're going to stay in line? What if your enemy against you disperses? Are you still going to stay in line and be a big target? Well, you might. But would a team that wants to win do that given no penalties against it?

Of course with penalties we do operate in lines because (fill in the blank) the developers discourage ________.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Major

I have been part of the 42nd for a long time and have seen my share of organised gameplay from the very beginning, the very first playable versions.
    I am not talking about sending 5 or 6 players left or right to harass the enemy and or doing picket duty to inform the main bulk about approaching enemies, what I am talking about is utilizing a proper skirmish line formation instead of shoulder to shoulder formations. I think this is not clear to some of you. What we have in game at the moment is not at all proper skirmishing, and that a partial cause for this is the ticket and moral system. Advancing towards an enemy to engage in a skirmish line first was not at all uncommon, at least for the first or second of the attack columns. Also having a skirmish line ahead the actual main line defending a spot was something that happened. I don't ask for that we may run around like chickens and play run and gun gameplay, but it would be nice to have the full array of possibilities at hand. Especially if the playercount doesn't really allow for a realistic line battle

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I am not talking about sending 5 or 6 players left or right to harass the enemy and or doing picket duty to inform the main bulk about approaching enemies, what I am talking about is utilizing a proper skirmish line formation instead of shoulder to shoulder formations. I think this is not clear to some of you.
    No, it is clear, and what I'm telling you is that just because you haven't done it yourself doesn't mean it hasn't been done successfully by others

USA Major

well, in almost 2 years of playing organised events with a lot of different outfits I was only witnessing a handful of proper skirmish maneuvers, most of which were prior to the rebalancing of the moral system. Of course it is still possible to do skirmish maneuvers, but I didn‘t witness any real skirmish formation in the game for a long period now. Just to mention it, I saw your 1st TX perform, too. No sign of a skirmish formation. And that‘s not years ago.
    The gamedesign doesn‘t work in favour of proper historical gameplay. It‘s narrowing thenuseful tactics for these kind of smallscale battles down to an unrealistic approach of a line battle, at least most of the time. I really hope that this changes as soon as the historical mode is in place, but I have my doubts. WoR is already quite amazing and the best FPS Simulation about line warfare that‘s out there. I will continue to play it, but it misses it‘s own standards a bit, at least from my point of view.

P.S.: „Company, deploy as skirmishers by the ... flank, take intervals, march“is something I heard 2 or 3 times during gameplay. I hear „stand up“ and „charge bayonets all the time“.
    And yes, I know how that works in game and did it myself. Leading as well as in line.

Edit: the Devs reply on another, much more in depth thread renders this thread basically pointless (I love the reply, by the way ). Since this thread seems to go downward anyway it could as well be closed I guess and the discussion can happen there in a more detailed and hopefully also constructive way.
    Last edited by Gamble; 07-19-2019 at 09:37 PM.