Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twelve Core Gameplay Improvements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Twelve Core Gameplay Improvements

Well, it could be no one is gonna read this but I spent the time to write it all out so here goes...

Far from just being a wish list of additional features, below I have listed out several core gameplay changes (as well as quality of life improvements) which I think would dramatically improve existing gameplay in WoR while maintaining (and enhancing) the original vision. Some of these may have already been suggested in some form, but I wanted to compile my own list of the most critical items. I tried to order them in order of (perceived) importance.

1. Displayed Team tickets Along with Morale Level: The game needs to de-mystify the ticket system and make it clear to players (including officers) what the actual ticket count is besides the morale level. While displaying tickets is somewhat “gamey” the number is critical as it represents actual manpower available which officers would have known in real life. If you see your number dropping rapidly outside of a line battle, you know you have stragglers ramboing. This has an effect on the orders officers might give to preserve lives/tickets. Maybe that glorious charge really isn’t worth it.

2. Crouching in Formation should not count as “Skirmishing”: Currently, skirmish mode counts for a -3 ticket loss. Skirmishing is defined by crouching or being a certain distance away from other players when fighting. In my opinion, crouching should not count for a -3 ticket loss because it was legitimate tactic used by commanders in the war. Penalizing players for crouching is pointless and frustrating and has caused some units to simply discourage crouching in any situation which is unfortunate. This means a “good” team should never crouch because every soldier that dies counts as a loss of three men, which makes no sense. Crouching still causes slower reloads which I believe is a fair deterrent to encourage standing in lines in most cases.

3. Officers Can order Loose Skirmish line: Secondly, officers should be able to order a skirmish line if desired, allowing players to be more spread out. If players adhere to this formation as ordered, deaths should count as “in formation” (1 ticket). Loose skirmish lines were used to cover flanks and certain angles where an entire line formation would be impractical or a waste of manpower. Line battles would not become obsolete. Line formations still have inherent advantages: massed volleys against a smaller number of targets, unit cohesion and mobility, and creates the infantry mass needed for successful melee defense and offense. If a commander orders a solid battle line and a player is close by but still not in the line, that should be considered skirmishing (-3 tickets)

4. Death displays actual ticket loss, not % of morale loss reduction: Again, this would help to clarify the ticket loss for players so they understand the impact of their deaths to the team. The current text (morale loss reduced by 0/40/80 %) is confusing and meaningless to newer players. This will also help to reduce ramboing as players will see that their three kills don’t make up for a loss of 5 tickets. Additional text would be useful to direct players to understand why their death counted the way it did.

5. Battlefield Map: This is a big one. Showing player’s location and relative location of friendly formations would be extremely useful (perhaps some limited information on enemy formations which are engaged or spotted). Admittedly, this is a not a totally realistic feature for a "simulator", but it would improve gameplay dramatically and give players and commanders an understanding of the lines of battle and where reinforcement units need to be directed to plug gaps. A map would make up for the lack of battlefield communications (runners) which actual commanders would have had access to. Ideally, commanders could even draw arrows or place markers on the map to help coordinate movements of troops.

6. Better HUD Elements: As an overall quality of life improvement, a HUD updated is needed to show friendly units, officers, and particularly to differentiate between different regiments. Currently, the HUD shows minimal information to help the player determine where they need to be, particularly for newer players. Players often hit the HUD button after respawning and run without coordination towards the nearest icon or the capture point, getting mixed up with other regiments and generally creating a confusing battlefield. While the fog of war definitely plays a part in WoR, I think the current mechanic is just frustrating.

7. Group spawning at the reinforcement point: I believe it would help the flow of the game if respawns at the map entry reinforcement point come in groups. How this would work is that respawns would have to wait until a sufficient group could spawn in at the same time, or if a sufficient number of players were already present at the reinforcement point. This would help prevent individual players from running haphazardly across the battlefield to rejoin friendly regiments (many of these players get lost and die out of formation harming the ticket count). There could be a maximum wait time (such as 30-40 seconds) so that players do not need to wait for ages to respawn. Additionally, it could allow NCOs / officers to more easily keep order and direct the movement of respawning groups of players. Reinforcement units would march to the frontline as a group instead of streaming in one at a time unrealistically.

8. Team Army Organization Menu by player, Showing Regiment, Company, and Roles : I think that a menu is critical to replace the regiment selection screen (and available by hotkey in-game) so that the army organization is absolutely clear to players – particularly casual players and officers (and generals if they ever implement it). I want a menu showing regiments, with available slots and roles clearly shown, and player names next to them. No more days of regiments going into battle without officers, or flagbearers, or NCOs. It should be clear up front before anyone goes into battle if any critical roles are not filled. For a quick reference, I’m talking about something akin to Squad, Post Scriptum, or similar games where the team organization is clear and distinct, and the roles of each player can be easily referenced on a hotkey menu. This will also future-proof the game in the event that Regiments are further split into multiple companies (which I think would be a good idea).

9. Melee block key: I have seen that this is already in the roadmap, but I think it deserves mention –melee right now is overpowered and pretty lacking in back-and-forth. The ability to [attempt] to block an attack would really improve the experience. Melee hitboxes also need to be reduced somewhat as you had strike an opponent from a bit too far away IMO.

10. NCO’s can give some limited directions and commands (besides verbal): This would assist in carrying out orders, particularly when the officer is absent or not doing anything. The ability to point would be great, and NCOs should also have binoculars. If the nearby officer dies, the NCO should be able to instruct formations using the key commands.

11. Moving while crouched: This would be a useful quality of life improvement that would coincide with #2. This would again improve realism and reduce the frustration of having to stand up to move to a position a few feet away to crouch in cover.

12. Flag bearer can engage in melee combat: This would be useful so the flag isn’t so vulnerable in melee combat. Even better, give the flag bearer a sword or pistol so they aren’t so useless. Many flag bearers were NCOs, not just random grunts.
    Last edited by Daveallen10; 07-13-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Hey!

Thanks for the list.

I’m away at the moment so can’t give you a detailed reply currently.

I’ll just list give a few pointers for now.

1) an officer will not know the exact strength of his own regiment mid-combat not other regiments within the army mid-combat.
    We had plain numbers back in the early alpha days. Players would use them as a check up on whether or not they hit anything. Also, we’ve been scaling available tickets based on player population on a server for a year or so now - showing actual numbers will mean you’ll see such ticket numbers as 45,47 vs 28,19 tickets.

2) it is quite possible that the longer reload in itself is enough - the morale penalty alone wasn’t enough when we introduced it (majority of all players kept kneeling throughout entire matches) which is why the longer reload penalty was introduced as well.

3) I believe there is a skirmish order available currently for the officers, you’re right though a graphical marker is something we’d like to add to it.

4) Just as the overall team morale/tickets is based on the server population as is the morale loss (which is why it is a percentage). You’d run into sometimes seeing you cost 5 morale and other times 14,67 morale when dying out of line both times.

5) This is roughly the idea for generals.

6) Agrre, HUD is in development as the rest of the game.

7) You already spawn in waves (groups) as well as only with your selected regiment when you spawn at the base spawns.

8) Yes, this is part of our released concept art of the hud.

9) We are against blocking (you’re using a rifle, not a shield) as it doesnt make sense with such a slim object. We’d like to add a timing based parry however (which is the best you really can do with a rifle).

10) NCO’s can already point by left clicking. They can also relay orders via VoIP.

11) We’ve decided not to add this as we do not want modern army movements but 1860’s ones.

12) Flags had a colour guard. No weapons needed

- Trusty

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hey!

Thanks for the list.

I’m away at the moment so can’t give you a detailed reply currently.

I’ll just list give a few pointers for now.

1) an officer will not know the exact strength of his own regiment mid-combat not other regiments within the army mid-combat.
    We had plain numbers back in the early alpha days. Players would use them as a check up on whether or not they hit anything. Also, we’ve been scaling available tickets based on player population on a server for a year or so now - showing actual numbers will mean you’ll see such ticket numbers as 45,47 vs 28,19 tickets.

2) it is quite possible that the longer reload in itself is enough - the morale penalty alone wasn’t enough when we introduced it (majority of all players kept kneeling throughout entire matches) which is why the longer reload penalty was introduced as well.

3) I believe there is a skirmish order available currently for the officers, you’re right though a graphical marker is something we’d like to add to it.

4) Just as the overall team morale/tickets is based on the server population as is the morale loss (which is why it is a percentage). You’d run into sometimes seeing you cost 5 morale and other times 14,67 morale when dying out of line both times.

6) Agrre, HUD is in development as the rest of the game.

7) You already spawn in waves (groups) as well as only with your selected regiment when you spawn at the base spawns.

8) Yes, this is part of our released concept art of the hud.

9) We are against blocking (you’re using a rifle, not a shield) as it doesnt make sense with such a slim object. We’d like to add a timing based parry however (which is the best you really can do with a rifle).

10) NCO’s can already point by left clicking. They can also relay orders via VoIP.

11) We’ve decided not to add this as we do not want modern army movements but 1860’s ones.

- Trusty
    One thing I'd like to suggest is allowing the crouching in formation without penalties since it was a common thing that was used during the war. A good example is on the new map at anderson's attack the whole point of the wall is made useless if we cant crouch behind it for cover. Those in defense would find anything to protect their line, and not just stand up like idiots with perfect cover right in front of them that is in crouching height. I mean to balance this you can make it so if a certain am amount of people are right next to each other and crouching then it counts as in formation (for example 10). It makes it easier to fight crouched behind the short stone wall instead of having everyone stand up and blob together behind the big log pile or giant rocks on anderson's attack.

Hey Trusty, thanks for the quick response. A lot of what you mentioned is very encouraging and its great to hear about the features being worked on still.

A few points:

Hey!
    I can understand the logic of this, however, I would note that regardless of whether or not it is displayed - the game is calculating tickets in the background. The core problem is that players (and particularly officers and NCOs) need to be able to gauge more accurately how much strength their forces have versus the enemy at different times in the battle as it affects command decisions (defend vs attack, risk a flanking maneuver, charge, etc...). This is something battlefield commanders probably would have a sense of but players might not. For example: in a Defend the point scenario, the defenders may have 2/3 the manpower available as their opponent - and this is important information for players. The current morale system (engaged, taking losses, breaking) should be seen as a separate meter from actual strength left. I consider this to be a very important issue at the moment.

My proposal:

Since actual number of tickets is variable and may go up or down based on server population - in it place I would suggest some kind of "relative strength" bar/meter to be displayed at the top, along with the existing morale text. That way the actual number of tickets is concealed, but a disparity in force strength (at start of battle and during the battle as losses accumulate) can be easily surmised. I am taking inspiration for this from Medieval 2 Total War in this case:

As a side comment, I think something more interesting could be done with morale to separate it from ticket count. This could create a third win condition besides ticket loss and timer victory - a morale victory. Whereas the tickets (or force strength meter) is stable - a good army may win the day without killing all enemies by winning a morale victory. Morale could be further tied to certain actions on the battlefield (loss of officers, death of units of out formation, complete destruction of a regiment in the field, and seizing the capture point). I also think that certain actions should be able to recover morale for the team.

The current situation is just kind of frustrating. In line battles, the first row would often kneel to allow the second rank to fire over their shoulders. The intention of penalizing crouching is to reduce camping behavior and to encourage line battle formations. I think in terms of carrot and stick design - longer reloading is enough of a stick, and maybe additional "carrots" can be imagined to encourage standing formations (they are more mobile and can pivot and react to the enemy better, for one).

Even if generals do get something like this, I think regular players need something to work with too. Again, I know there are arguments against this because there is fear of the game becoming too much like any other milsim. That said, the minor loss of realism surely is made up for from better gameplay. It could be very simplified to show regiment position from group formations, flag position, as well as individual soldiers on your team, and maybe spotted enemies which fade quickly over time. Maybe enemies wouldn't show up at all, to keep the "fog of war" up. However, just being able to know where you are on the map in relation to the terrain / your allies would be a huge improvement to the game. In particular- knowing where the flag is that you are spawning at! It would probably make it more accessible to new players.

I guess I didn't realize that, or maybe the minimum group size for spawning is not that large.

Even better!

I didn't realize moving while crouched was a 20th century invention...

Jokes aside, I think this goes back to the issues with penalizing crouching. However, I think that making crouch walking very slow and deliberate should eliminate any issue here. Again, its just one of the nitpicks. E.g. "I wish I could move over a few feet to that fence post without having to stand up and expose myself to enemy fire" but if you want to move fifty feet you are gonna move like a turtle to get their so better stand up...

- Trusty
    True, but I think practically, it is very boring for the player because they can't do much of anything while holding the flag. The flagbearer was rarely one person in real life, it was often a small group that took turns carrying. It was prestigious - but in WoR it is kind of a burden to take on. Nobody wants to take the flag and not be able to do anything meaningful besides hide behind trees or other soldiers the whole match. Often the flagbearer in the game is the last one left in a regiment that is being attacked and just having a weapon would do wonders for surviving that last Confederate/Yankee attacked. I think in real life if the color bearer had to fight, they would do so.

Alternatively, give them a bugle or something so they can at least do something useful in support of the regiment.
    Last edited by Daveallen10; 07-13-2019 at 11:36 PM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Daveallen10 View Post
    Alternatively, give them a bugle or something so they can at least do something useful in support of the regiment.
    A bugle as some sort of morale booster could be nice --> ' musicians ' haven't appeared on the radar just yet, guess everyone is more focused on arty/cav (and some people just play the bugle calls atm)
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

People would use formation crouching to a much too huge degree before kneeling penalties were in place.

- Trusty

People would use formation crouching to a much too huge degree before kneeling penalties were in place.

- Trusty
    then why would units have the front rank kneeling
    Last edited by COL. Patrick R Cleburne; 07-20-2019 at 06:41 PM.

I have a suggestion that is middle ground for point 1. Instead of seeing both team's tickets, you'd see only your team's tickets with the morale of the enemy team. That way players would NOT be able use them as a check up on whether or not they hit anything, but they would be able to see how much manpower is available/left to expend.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Daveallen10 View Post
    Well, it could be no one is gonna read this but I spent the time to write it all out so here goes...

1. Displayed Team tickets Along with Morale Level: The game needs to de-mystify the ticket system and make it clear to players (including officers) what the actual ticket count is besides the morale level. While displaying tickets is somewhat “gamey” the number is critical as it represents actual manpower available which officers would have known in real life. If you see your number dropping rapidly outside of a line battle, you know you have stragglers ramboing. This has an effect on the orders officers might give to preserve lives/tickets. Maybe that glorious charge really isn’t worth it.

2. Crouching in Formation should not count as “Skirmishing”: Currently, skirmish mode counts for a -3 ticket loss. Skirmishing is defined by crouching or being a certain distance away from other players when fighting. In my opinion, crouching should not count for a -3 ticket loss because it was legitimate tactic used by commanders in the war. Penalizing players for crouching is pointless and frustrating and has caused some units to simply discourage crouching in any situation which is unfortunate. This means a “good” team should never crouch because every soldier that dies counts as a loss of three men, which makes no sense. Crouching still causes slower reloads which I believe is a fair deterrent to encourage standing in lines in most cases.

3. Officers Can order Loose Skirmish line: Secondly, officers should be able to order a skirmish line if desired, allowing players to be more spread out. If players adhere to this formation as ordered, deaths should count as “in formation” (1 ticket). Loose skirmish lines were used to cover flanks and certain angles where an entire line formation would be impractical or a waste of manpower. Line battles would not become obsolete. Line formations still have inherent advantages: massed volleys against a smaller number of targets, unit cohesion and mobility, and creates the infantry mass needed for successful melee defense and offense. If a commander orders a solid battle line and a player is close by but still not in the line, that should be considered skirmishing (-3 tickets)

4. Death displays actual ticket loss, not % of morale loss reduction: Again, this would help to clarify the ticket loss for players so they understand the impact of their deaths to the team. The current text (morale loss reduced by 0/40/80 %) is confusing and meaningless to newer players. This will also help to reduce ramboing as players will see that their three kills don’t make up for a loss of 5 tickets. Additional text would be useful to direct players to understand why their death counted the way it did.

5. Battlefield Map: This is a big one. Showing player’s location and relative location of friendly formations would be extremely useful (perhaps some limited information on enemy formations which are engaged or spotted). Admittedly, this is a not a totally realistic feature for a "simulator", but it would improve gameplay dramatically and give players and commanders an understanding of the lines of battle and where reinforcement units need to be directed to plug gaps. A map would make up for the lack of battlefield communications (runners) which actual commanders would have had access to. Ideally, commanders could even draw arrows or place markers on the map to help coordinate movements of troops.

6. Better HUD Elements: As an overall quality of life improvement, a HUD updated is needed to show friendly units, officers, and particularly to differentiate between different regiments. Currently, the HUD shows minimal information to help the player determine where they need to be, particularly for newer players. Players often hit the HUD button after respawning and run without coordination towards the nearest icon or the capture point, getting mixed up with other regiments and generally creating a confusing battlefield. While the fog of war definitely plays a part in WoR, I think the current mechanic is just frustrating.

7. Group spawning at the reinforcement point: I believe it would help the flow of the game if respawns at the map entry reinforcement point come in groups. How this would work is that respawns would have to wait until a sufficient group could spawn in at the same time, or if a sufficient number of players were already present at the reinforcement point. This would help prevent individual players from running haphazardly across the battlefield to rejoin friendly regiments (many of these players get lost and die out of formation harming the ticket count). There could be a maximum wait time (such as 30-40 seconds) so that players do not need to wait for ages to respawn. Additionally, it could allow NCOs / officers to more easily keep order and direct the movement of respawning groups of players. Reinforcement units would march to the frontline as a group instead of streaming in one at a time unrealistically.

8. Team Army Organization Menu by player, Showing Regiment, Company, and Roles : I think that a menu is critical to replace the regiment selection screen (and available by hotkey in-game) so that the army organization is absolutely clear to players – particularly casual players and officers (and generals if they ever implement it). I want a menu showing regiments, with available slots and roles clearly shown, and player names next to them. No more days of regiments going into battle without officers, or flagbearers, or NCOs. It should be clear up front before anyone goes into battle if any critical roles are not filled. For a quick reference, I’m talking about something akin to Squad, Post Scriptum, or similar games where the team organization is clear and distinct, and the roles of each player can be easily referenced on a hotkey menu. This will also future-proof the game in the event that Regiments are further split into multiple companies (which I think would be a good idea).

9. Melee block key: I have seen that this is already in the roadmap, but I think it deserves mention –melee right now is overpowered and pretty lacking in back-and-forth. The ability to [attempt] to block an attack would really improve the experience. Melee hitboxes also need to be reduced somewhat as you had strike an opponent from a bit too far away IMO.

10. NCO’s can give some limited directions and commands (besides verbal): This would assist in carrying out orders, particularly when the officer is absent or not doing anything. The ability to point would be great, and NCOs should also have binoculars. If the nearby officer dies, the NCO should be able to instruct formations using the key commands.

11. Moving while crouched: This would be a useful quality of life improvement that would coincide with #2. This would again improve realism and reduce the frustration of having to stand up to move to a position a few feet away to crouch in cover.

12. Flag bearer can engage in melee combat: This would be useful so the flag isn’t so vulnerable in melee combat. Even better, give the flag bearer a sword or pistol so they aren’t so useless. Many flag bearers were NCOs, not just random grunts.
    First of all, thanks for the well described input and the thoughts put into them.

1. I get your point that for 'new players' the whole 'morale system' isn't very transparent, while a ticketsystem is pretty straightforward. However the morale system is intertwined with the formation system. This game has been trying hard not to be BF or CoD in a civil war setting.
    And yes having the 'ticket system' would be simple to know who exactly will win/lose and approx. when (while both 'breaking' might not mean much)

2. The whole 'to crouch or not to crouch' used to be a hot topic here, many history buffs here felt that crouching should not be a thing and the road to 'buff' standing up has been chosen. (back in those days even the wooden fence where very sturdy, no they give ample protection).

3. What would be the difference between a normal and an ordered skirmish line ?

4. Maybe just adding some text to the 'death screen' explaining the morale loss would be nice (but I still suggest we call it morale just a bit more …. worked out)On maps with low player population the multiplier also kicks in.

5. If a 'general' on the field would be able to see that battlemap I would agree, enemy lines should be spotted by friendly officers/nco's or scouts (it's their job).
    Fog of war is important, cause it allows strategy and flanking to pay off.

6. Officers can drop 'lines' and Nco's show up as markers, but I agree some just head for 'cap point' and might blind run into a enemy line.
    That's why grouping up is important unless you already now we are defending a point and need help immediately.

7. Nice idea to think about on 'group spawning', the 'mobile flag respawn system' needs to be thought over then. In some games an officer can spawn groups faster by activation perks based in his/her performance.

8. Maybe have members of the same regiments in the same colored names, then if you press 'T' it's easy to see which one of the two regiments you're dealing with. And I agree some critical roles sometimes are left out, the 'flag bearer' being very crucial.

9. Block or sidestep … I don't know … as long this doesn't turn into Mordhau

10. An NCO marker shows when the NCO has men near him.

11. Again this is in place cause people actually wanted line battles (early war) instead of more 'modern tactics'.

12. The Flag bearer is indeed a 'bullseye', I agree giving him some sort of weapon … but on the other hand if the line gets pierced he should be the first to get the flag into safety. (even if it means running, you know pretty fast when you can hold back an attack .. or not ) -> Trusty has a point : protect the flag & the officer/nco's.
    Last edited by Redleader; 07-13-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

3. What would be the difference between a normal and an ordered skirmish line ?

answer. The intervals at witch the men/dots are spaced as well as them being staggered

The treatise, New American Tactics, by General John Watts de Peyster advocated making the skirmish line the new line of battle, a revolutionary idea at the time.[12] During the American Civil War, it was common for cavalrymen to dismount and form a skirmish line to delay enemy troops advancing towards an objective (for example, the actions of the Union cavalrymen led by Brig. General John Buford on the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg). Skirmish lines were also used to harass enemy probing missions, hampering the other force from gaining an effective intelligence picture by engaging their scouts and likewise forcing them to deploy.[13]
    Last edited by COL. Patrick R Cleburne; 07-20-2019 at 06:32 PM.