Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resting muskets on fence rails & interaction

CSA Brigadier General

Resting muskets on fence rails & interaction

Wanted to know what the community thought about this. The implementation would allow a soldier to "steady" or reduce the in game sway while aiming by using an interaction key when close to a rail fence. This also could be tied to a defensive "formation buff". Chime in !

100%. It seems to be one of the main benefits of fences in real life was steadying muskets off them. Still need some trembling at the higher levels of suppression though as opposed to natural sway.

I'm still not completely happy with the penetration on fences or trees and even bushes. It could be partly my imagination. Especially for upright rails and the edges of trees it seems to be lacking. Too many sure hits become a miss even discounting penetration of the object itself. I could swear recently a bush was blocking loads of enemy bullets on Pry House and a few of the trees reached out and grabbed a lot of hits as well gaga.gif
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Makes sense, promotes the use of cover too.

CSA Brigadier General

Indeed PLM, couldn't be totally stagnant that would be way to powerful. I was thinking more on this, and that maybe the "buff" could come into play if a certain number of players were in a defensible area (6 -10), Require an NCO or Officer or combination of both to activate within the area, and could be marked on the field with an icon that could be viewed when hitting "T", letting players know it is a "defensible area", and like Mark said it promotes the use of cover and staying close as a unit to gain these advantages.

I also think projectile penetration needs to be fine tuned as I have been behind what seemed at the time was a "god mode" bush, but on the other hand - I've been domed standing behind a two foot thick tree.....

Weapons should simply passively rest on available platforms at the correct height. 100% believe it should be implemented. Existing weapon MOA should be enough that the elimination of sway isn't totally overpowered. Would switch up the meta a little bit as previously indefensible fence-lines , due to recently added penetration, become incredibly valuable as impromptu rifle pits. Would also add another factor to the decision between taking cover on a fenceline vs a rock formation.

CSA Brigadier General

Vankovski very good insight sir! I can definitely see this coming into play with rock formations, in addition to other surfaces like windows, cannons etc. Getting a bit more granular, depending on the " defensible area" either fence, rocks or other - a limit could be placed on the number of players that could "occupy" it to gain its advantage and not overpower any one of these areas on the map. I have been in some pretty solid lines on fences but have also seen fence lines get shredded due to penetration so I'm up in the air,but maybe as an additional factor the rock's could offer extra protection from artillery shells and artillery suppression during bombardments.

I don't think anyone needs more encouragement to use a fenceline as cover or for any buff. It's already what the gameplay revolves around too much at times. Part of this is just gamers built-in belief that any morsel of cover they can find is needed and part of it is a genuinely serious reduced likelhood of being shot behind one. You would expect some of this to exist realistically but you don't see these references to Civil War combat revolving around fences. Fences are thrown down as obstacles or stacked up as barricades at most. They weren't a whole lot of help just sitting there as a boundary marker in some farmer's field as they are everywhere in WoR's maps. Artillery and cavalry needed them down for maneuver and infantry threw them down in their path of march. Some of the ballistics in the game and penetration values previously made fences extremely valuable and in my opinion more should be done where there's a consistent feeling of "I shouldn't even take this shot because he's behind a fence post."

Sure if a round hits a fence rail square on it might be stopped but there's a huge variety of fences you'd find on a battlefield like Antietam of various qualities than the standard setups the national park service reproduces today. Don't be deceived at what an 1862 fence is by the photo of the sturdy 6-rail fence lining the Hagerstown Road with all the Confederate dead behind it either. That was a Turnpike fence and was probably the sturdiest around.

Meanwhile game formations dissolve and crowd around fences, rocks, or all behind a single tree. That's what needs to be buffed, alignment should have some purpose and the players need to see the results not the end-game screen to change that.

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...concerns-Video
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 07-19-2019 at 01:24 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by dogofspades View Post
    Getting a bit more granular, depending on the " defensible area" either fence, rocks or other - a limit could be placed on the number of players that could "occupy" it to gain its advantage and not overpower any one of these areas on the map.
    I believe that the geometry of an unbroken fenceline vs the geometry of broken up rocks already puts a hard limit on how many players can be occupying a position that would offer a place to rest their rifles. You'll always be able to fit more rifles pointing in the same direction on the fenceline. Nothing really needs to be coded in that respect because it is physical logic.

I found this great video from the American Battlefield trust about the importance of fences in American Civil War tactics. It uses very many examples from different stages of the war.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/v...nces-civil-war

As a brief overview, the video describes four major tactical purposes of fencelines in the American Civil War:

1. Concealment: Breaking the enemy line of sight
    2. Cover: Breaking the enemy field of fire. (Oftentimes these first two were the same thing)
    3. Use as obstacles: Slows the momentum of an attacking enemy, they have to get past the fence to assault the infantry, a major hurdle.
    4. Command and Control: Because the Civil War was fought by massive, linear formations, a long fence line made for an easy way for a regiment to quickly switch from a marching column to a line of battle.

It seems like the tactics being utilized in game accurately reflect the tactics of the day. Very interesting!

USA General of the Army

If you look at the battlefield maps of the battle, the bulk of Confederate defenses revolved around fence lines.