Thread: Multiplayer Campaign gamemode

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

USA Captain

Multiplayer Campaign gamemode

I'm sure that some of you are familiar with the multiplayer campaign mode that is the mapvoting system in Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm 1 and 2.

860px-Pacific_Theater_CampMap.jpg

860px-Stalingrad_Theater_CampMap.jpg

campaign1.jpg

I would love to see a WoR take on it, as a "strategic mode" or "general's mode". At the maps end, either the officers (for official battles) or all players (for pub battles and general server use) an interactive map shows the current map territories, which side owns it and, It's worth (for tickets or "battle points" or whatever). You could either go the RO/RS2 route and have each territory add up to the win points, but I'd love to see a total attrition model. This will also be an awesome way to integrate any future expansions for battlefields like Atlanta or Petersburg as you add them, so different weapons and regiments can become or no longer be available.

My version for a Campaign attrition mode would work as follows:

antietam-battle-map.jpg

1)The attrition model is given total army strength of ticket numbers. Each regiment has a max ticket count based on historical strengths. Once those tickets are gone, that regiment is fought out and cannot be selected for future maps.

3)Map votes are by region (Left Flank, Right Flank, Center, Harper's Ferry) In each region are only the regiments assigned to that region, and thus a custom ticket pool.

4)After the map is selected two regiments are voted on from the pool of available regiments under that wing/corps/division for each side.

5)the selected map is played with selected regiments for a win or loss that effects the total ticket pool/Victory point pool.

6)it goes on until the victory condition, be it commanding certain ground or numbers of battlemaps, until casualties are too high for one side, or until the day ends. This will allow a full and continuous day night cycle for the battles, and different battle experiences. Maybe garibaldi’s guard is sent up south mountain or The 1st Delawares have to stand up to multiple attacks in a day, whittling down their combat power. Maybe you hold the 52nd PA and Sharpshooters for the very last map and deploy them both for the final push.

I believe this will allow for a huge amount of replayibility, more varied scenarios, and active player strategic input instead of just tactical. Plus, if there’s a freeform campaign mode, then there can be a strict historical campaign mode, where the map rotation is every engagement in chronological order.
    Last edited by Axon; 07-29-2019 at 11:50 PM.